New Richmond Arena

eandslee

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Interestingly enough, the original group behind the Navy Hill proposal is proposing a new 17-ish story tower with an adjacent 9 story building. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/05/06/breaking-news-navy-hill-developers-propose-new-downtown-office-tower/

55514240-18ED-4934-8723-BBB6CB3CBA24.jpeg

Boy, this came out of nowhere!  Makes sense though since the NH project is dead and much of the office space that was part of that project was to house a lot of VCU offices.  Glad they came up with a plan for VCU, now what about more housing, a convention hotel, and a new arena for the area?!  Maybe it will all be done piecemeal since many thought the NH project was too big of a project to do all at once. Who knows?

Might this building also house CoStar?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

I wish they had a rendering with the full detail of the inpatient tower.  I worry this may create an overwhelming amount of glass wall with the three new MCV towers in such close proximity.  I see that potential issue with the (maybe) two Dominion towers and Gateway Center now.  Either way I still love what I see here.

Prediction: Gray will try to delay any decision until next year as she cannot have a win for Stoney before election.

• Like 1

Updated info from BizSense:

Hallmark said CoStar is not involved in the new project and has not expressed interest in the 150,000 square feet of office space in the VCU Health tower. He said the tower was upped to 20 stories in height in part because of Navy Hill’s demise.”

• Thanks 1

Well, this just keeps getting more and more interesting.  If CoStar is not part of the plans for that tower and this developer does not plan to implement any other parts of the Navy Hill plan, then why doesn’t a developer get with CoStar, a major hotelier (willing to be a conference hotel of 500+ rooms), maybe even someone willing to build some housing in the area and combine to build a nice, tall mixed use tower in Navy Hill next to the Coliseum?  I also think it’s just a matter of time before we get another plan for the Coliseum (I’m discounting the Douglas offer - that one wasn’t even “real”). The demand for a new one is there - someone just has to come up with a better plan.  Navy Hill could end up looking very different from what was originally envisioned and I’m hoping there is a silver lining here and the Navy Hill area turns out even better than was originally envisioned.  There needs to be a large housing investment though.  It’s not in this proposal (obviously), but it needs to be in future plans in the other areas of Navy Hill. Time will tell what will happen, but this is a good start. 

• Like 4

A stunningly quick reversal by the very same people who said the business community wouldn’t play ball in Richmond and nothing could happen there without the arena...

Was the public safety building still being occupied by City staff? If so, the next domino will be a new building somewhere, hopefully that consolidates with social services as well, opening up the adjacent block for redevelopment.

To be fair, yes, VCU and it’s affiliates continue to invest in the area.  But without government assistance dont expect any new building to include income based housing, new social services building or a transit center.   

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rjp212 said:

To be fair, yes, VCU and it’s affiliates continue to invest in the area.  But without government assistance dont expect any new building to include income based housing, new social services building or a transit center.   

I agree.

I would not be surprised if VCU starts buying out other lots to the west, encroaching towards the Coliseum.  Maybe we will have our own version of the Texas Medical Center here in Richmond.  

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

Here’s the latest on the Jamal Douglas proposal.  Seems to me like the city doesn’t want to “play ball” with Douglas Development, but I don’t blame them with his track record. He talks big, but he rarely delivers what he says he can or will. If I’m not mistaken, he has also served some time in jail for crooked dealings. Is this who the city wants to partner up with?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/05/08/douglas-jemal-speaks-out-its-an-opportunity-of-a-lifetime-for-richmond/

• Like 2

Isn’t he developing the Hyatt on Main Street (renovations are  underway, btw) and the apartment building/ rehab also on Main? 

He continues to disappoint along Broad but it seems like he is beginning to commit to Richmond.  

The Coliseum area doesn’t need housing.  That’s a horrible idea.  A bigger medical center (it doesn’t all have to be VCU) is a great use for the area.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Here’s the latest on the Jamal Douglas proposal.  Seems to me like the city doesn’t want to “play ball” with Douglas Development, but I don’t blame them with his track record. He talks big, but he rarely delivers what he says he can or will. If I’m not mistaken, he has also served some time in jail for crooked dealings. Is this who the city wants to partner up with?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/05/08/douglas-jemal-speaks-out-its-an-opportunity-of-a-lifetime-for-richmond/

Yeah, how about he develop the slums on broad street he's been sitting on for 15 years first. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, rjp212 said:

Interestingly enough, the original group behind the Navy Hill proposal is proposing a new 17-ish story tower with an adjacent 9 story building. 

"The new development, totaling 545,000 square feet, would house office and support space for VCU Health, new child development space and spec Class A office space, as well as new facilities for local nonprofits The Doorways and Ronald McDonald House Charities, according to the proposal. It also would include 20,000 square feet of ground-level retail and 1,900 parking spaces."

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/05/06/breaking-news-navy-hill-developers-propose-new-downtown-office-tower/

55514240-18ED-4934-8723-BBB6CB3CBA24.jpeg

Sweet looking buildings!! Nice density -- should bring a lot of muscle to the block and to that corner of downtown.

On 5/6/2020 at 4:16 PM, Brent114 said:

This seems to check a lot of boxes. 
Seems too good to be true?  No public money and the property will be taxable and Leigh Street gets reconnected through this block?   Sounds good to me. 

What, what? Support?

STOP THE PRESSES!!! ;)

Seriously, glad to see the private sector step up -- notice how the tower got bigger with private investment leading the way. 

• Like 3

On 5/6/2020 at 5:01 PM, Icetera said:

I wish they had a rendering with the full detail of the inpatient tower.  I worry this may create an overwhelming amount of glass wall with the three new MCV towers in such close proximity.  I see that potential issue with the (maybe) two Dominion towers and Gateway Center now.  Either way I still love what I see here.

Prediction: Gray will try to delay any decision until next year as she cannot have a win for Stoney before election.

And she'll yell about the density. She'll say the building it "too tall" and should be scaled back to 4 or 5 stories.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:07 AM, eandslee said:

Well, this just keeps getting more and more interesting.  If CoStar is not part of the plans for that tower and this developer does not plan to implement any other parts of the Navy Hill plan, then why doesn’t a developer get with CoStar, a major hotelier (willing to be a conference hotel of 500+ rooms), maybe even someone willing to build some housing in the area and combine to build a nice, tall mixed use tower in Navy Hill next to the Coliseum?  I also think it’s just a matter of time before we get another plan for the Coliseum (I’m discounting the Douglas offer - that one wasn’t even “real”). The demand for a new one is there - someone just has to come up with a better plan.  Navy Hill could end up looking very different from what was originally envisioned and I’m hoping there is a silver lining here and the Navy Hill area turns out even better than was originally envisioned.  There needs to be a large housing investment though.  It’s not in this proposal (obviously), but it needs to be in future plans in the other areas of Navy Hill. Time will tell what will happen, but this is a good start. 

Agreed - perhaps a developer could schmooze CoStar into developing their own tower, whether near the Coliseum or closer in. I would like to see separate buildings, though, regarding a major hotel and a CoStar headquarters building -- in truth, the idea of a 23-25 story, 550-600 room Hyatt REGENCY is, IMNSHO, one of those "Holy Grail" items Richmond needs to aggressively go after.  I love that spot right there at the Coliseum/Convention Center site. 

Who knows - perhaps the best outcome of the actual NH plan was not that the city actually build anything -- but that in pulling some heavy hitters together who aren't going to be swayed by the preservationist, anti-density nut-jobs, but rather who will look more holistically at developing a huge corner of downtown, is that the seeds were (FINALLY!!) planted. I don't know that projects like this were going to get done "organically" without some nudge -- and NH's proposal provided a more cohesive, big-picture approach. In which case, if the private sector can now see what the possibilities are, maybe -- just maybe -- we can start transforming that part of downtown into a viable urban neighborhood.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:41 AM, vaceltic said:

"A stunningly quick reversal by the very same people who said the business community wouldn’t play ball in Richmond and nothing could happen there without the arena..."

So?

"Was the public safety building still being occupied by City staff? If so, the next domino will be a new building somewhere, hopefully that consolidates with social services as well, opening up the adjacent block for redevelopment."

And you're saying you'd actually approve...

Edited by I miss RVA

3 hours ago, Brent114 said:

The Coliseum area doesn’t need housing.  That’s a horrible idea.  A bigger medical center (it doesn’t all have to be VCU) is a great use for the area.  

I disagree wholeheartedly. High-rise housing is a MUST for downtown in any/all parts. Particularly in the denser northeastern cities, housing is integrated into the urban fabric of the city center. Why would housing be a "horrible idea" in that part of town? Let's be real: the likelihood that there will ever again be an "entertainment center" for sports, concerts, etc., there is going the way of a snowball in the metaphorical Seventh Level. A big medical center is great there! Bigger the better! But why stop there?

This is Richmond's problem -- either it's afraid to, doesn't want to, or has no freaking clue how to think outside the box!! What's outside the box? Dense, high-rise residential development included in an overall development plan for that corner of downtown would be one such example. The NH proposal included plans for high-rise development at SE corner of 4th and Broad (old G.C. Murphy site) and on the site of the shelved "City Center" proposal (which, BTW, was primarily residential). Residential buildings on BOTH plots would be IDEAL for downtown. If there is one thing that downtown is lacking, it's tall residential buildings right smack in the middle of downtown. Right there on Broad Street... Grace... Marshall... 

Richmond's problem with residential development isn't that there's too much residential space crowding out other potential development -- it's that there's little to NO residential development immediately downtown. What -- a handful of renovated buildings here and there? Jackson Ward? A line of high rises along West Franklin? One or two buildings close to the Riverfront ... and wipe our hands, call it a day? That's it??

Jesus... SMH

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I disagree wholeheartedly. High-rise housing is a MUST for downtown in any/all parts. Particularly in the denser northeastern cities, housing is integrated into the urban fabric of the city center. Why would housing be a "horrible idea" in that part of town? Let's be real: the likelihood that there will ever again be an "entertainment center" for sports, concerts, etc., there is going the way of a snowball in the metaphorical Seventh Level. A big medical center is great there! Bigger the better! But why stop there?

This is Richmond's problem -- either it's afraid to, doesn't want to, or has no freaking clue how to think outside the box!! What's outside the box? Dense, high-rise residential development included in an overall development plan for that corner of downtown would be one such example. The NH proposal included plans for high-rise development at SE corner of 4th and Broad (old G.C. Murphy site) and on the site of the shelved "City Center" proposal (which, BTW, was primarily residential). Residential buildings on BOTH plots would be IDEAL for downtown. If there is one thing that downtown is lacking, it's tall residential buildings right smack in the middle of downtown. Right there on Broad Street... Grace... Marshall... 

Richmond's problem with residential development isn't that there's too much residential space crowding out other potential development -- it's that there's little to NO residential development immediately downtown. What -- a handful of renovated buildings here and there? Jackson Ward? A line of high rises along West Franklin? One or two buildings close to the Riverfront ... and wipe our hands, call it a day? That's it??

Jesus... SMH

More hyperbole please.  I didn’t get enough when “no private developer will ever want to do business in Richmond again!” was all the rage. 

Plopping 200-300 people on an island in downtown achieves absolutely nothing.  
That  area will never be a neighborhood.  There’s nothing appealing about it.  Any residential development there will have all the charm of UK council blocks.  Buts most imo aorta my, critical  mass can never, ever be achieved there.  There just isn’t  enough space.   Sure, as the crow flies it’s close to Jackson Ward and the Broad Street /Arts District corridor but there are very real and very insurmountable obstacles that render this area a residential wasteland.   There is no natural beauty.  It’s loud (hospitals, interstate).   It’s isolated (courts, convention center, valley, interstate, state, federal and city offices that will always and forever be devoid of life after 5:00 on weekdays and on holidays and weekends).  Ask yourself and be honest, would you want to live between VCU Medical Center and I95?  It has zero appeal.  

There are very few developable sites left in downtown.  Create jobs in this area (office buildings, labs) and build housing in Monroe Ward for the workforce.  That’s a much better plan. 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

That  area will never be a neighborhood.  There’s nothing appealing about it. 

There is no natural beauty.  It’s loud (hospitals, interstate).   It’s isolated (courts, convention center, valley, interstate, state, federal and city offices that will always and forever be devoid of life after 5:00 on weekdays and on holidays and weekends).  Ask yourself and be honest, would you want to live between VCU Medical Center and I95?  It has zero appeal.

There are very few developable sites left in downtown.

The same could have been said about Scott's Addition, and it was way more disconnected than downtown (noisy industrial area surrounded by Interstate, railroad and stroads) but it certainly changed.  If apartment rehabs and infills can occur in the Financial District then there certainly is no reason they cannot in the more centrally located Civic Center with better Pulse access.  Personally, I would love to live over there now and definitely wished there was something there when I worked in the BioTech park.  As this pandemic has shown, having a single-use area that everyone has to commute to is not sustainable.  Those parking decks may have been vacant lots.

There is also plenty of developable land, as shown in the Navy Hill proposal, and after the epidemic I imagine more older office space will be become available for residential rehab (as was already happening downtown).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Icetera said:

The same could have been said about Scott's Addition, and it was way more disconnected than downtown (noisy industrial area surrounded by Interstate, railroad and stroads) but it certainly changed.  If apartment rehabs and infills can occur in the Financial District then there certainly is no reason they cannot in the more centrally located Civic Center with better Pulse access.  Personally, I would love to live over there now and definitely wished there was something there when I worked in the BioTech park.  As this pandemic has shown, having a single-use area that everyone has to commute to is not sustainable.  Those parking decks may have been vacant lots.

There is also plenty of developable land, as shown in the Navy Hill proposal, and after the epidemic I imagine more older office space will be become available for residential rehab (as was already happening downtown).

My father managed a business in Scott's Addition for more than 40 years -- when I was a kid I used to look out of the window of his office (when I'd go hang out there in the summertime) at the old asphalt plant that was torn down to make way for the 8-story condo buildings that were completed between Roseneath and the I-195 offramp. That area had less than a snowball's chance of attracting ANY kind of residential development until just recently.

Fully agreed -- if it can happen in Manchester, it can happen in the northeast corner of Downtown.

• Like 1