New Richmond Arena

eandslee

58 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Looks like a mini Reston Town Center (30 years later and even it hasn’t grown into something urban) or Virginia Beach Town Center.  Nice enough suburban places but not urban in spite of then street grids and mass transit (both of those things are pretty common in suburbia, just not south of Washington).  

There’s plenty of land in downtown Raleigh.   Build  a downtown before your build a midtown.  

Raleigh keeps adding amenities around the downtown area but the core continues to languish. The synergy just isn’t happening and building a self contained new urbanism village a mile from the core won’t help.   This plan does look better than Navy Hill insofar as it is located in an area with room to grown. 

"There’s plenty of land in downtown Raleigh. " Yeah, that's why there's over 30 major projects in development or under-construction including over 8 projects zoned up-to-40 stories.  

• Like 3

As for the rivalry, I have no beef with Raleigh.  It’s nice enough.  Still my favorite city in NC. 

I do hate this style of development and it is ruining American cities.  Cheap developers are building interesting spaces for boring people.  These planned communities end up being about as evocative as a forest replanted with 100% pine trees after a timber company hauls away all of the bio diversity. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Brent114 said:

The Raleigh version looks  pretty terrible too (suburban lifestyle center).  I’m glad downtown Richmond dodged this bullet. 

There was nothing suburban about the Navy Hill plans other than a lot of similar construction.  What we have there now is large single use plots mostly dedicated to parking, which is very suburban. 

14 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

South of Downtown Raleigh is going to really boom in the coming decade or two. Downtown South is just one of the major projects planned.  Park City South will add 4 to 6 20-story towers just south of downtown and Salisbury Square will push the downtown skyline south as well with the plan to build two 20 story residential towers along with a hotel. There's also rumors that the city will give an honest attempt to study the possibility of replacing the PNC Arena with a downtown 'adjacent' arena somewhere south or west of downtown Raleigh proper in the 2030's. There's also Centennial Campus that is rezoning with a chunk of the property requesting 40-story rezoning and there's currently some group of investors purchasing a lot of property between the future Downtown South, Dix Park, and the forementioned Park City South.  Best part of all this is that it is in Raleigh proper so all that investment is going to the city and not an adjacent community or the county like the Green City project.  

Downtown South unfortunately is a new-urban suburban oasis and reminds me of a poorly executed, over exaggerated Libby Mill (which also went for zoning changes to allow towers) but without the potential for cohesive connectivity to the surrounding area and urban core.  In place of a healthy transition from high-density to low-density it has an arena and attempts to pull activity from the city proper rather than build upon it (likewise with our Green City though it at least transitions better). 

While the Park City South is overly conceptualized and will never match the final product, it at least has nice potential to fit into the urban fabric as development fills in between it and Union Station via Saunders and East.  Salisbury Square looks great with a natural progression much like the developments along Greenwood and Peace and the Warehouse District.  Unfortunately, when development eventually slows down, all of these outer cul-de-sac "downtowns" are going to leave large gaps between them and the downtown core, resulting in the same commuter inefficiencies as exist now, but with little hubs of activity competing with the inner city.  I am thankful we only have one true Short Pump, though even that is too much and Green City threatens to be a second.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

There is only one parking lot in Navy Hill.  It’s an entire block, but it is only one.  The lots across Leigh are part of the biotech park and are soon to be built upon.  

I am referring to the non-integrated parking decks  as well.

• 6 months later...
25 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I agree with you - very good to see this back in the news. I hope we'll see significant movement on this during the back half of 2021.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

This is such a complete failure by the city that the coliseum replacement is ending up in the county. Navy Hill was an excellent plan that was sunk by the typical NIMBYs. Honestly kind of depressing.   Even if it wasn't going to be downtown, keep it in the city not way out in the suburbs.  Stadiums across the country across all sports are coming back to downtown- that's where people want to be. Look at the failure that is FedEx in DC (suburban Maryland)- now they are going to move back to the RFK site.

Agree, wish it would have been a different outcome.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

This is such a complete failure by the city that the coliseum replacement is ending up in the county. Navy Hill was an excellent plan that was sunk by the typical NIMBYs. Honestly kind of depressing.   Even if it wasn't going to be downtown, keep it in the city not way out in the suburbs.  Stadiums across the country across all sports are coming back to downtown- that's where people want to be. Look at the failure that is FedEx in DC (suburban Maryland)- now they are going to move back to the RFK site.

As a life-long, die-hard fan of the Washington Football Team who grew up going to RFK and, of course, to both RFK and FedEx Field as an adult, I think part of any floppage with FedEx Field has at least, in part, SOMETHING to do with just how God-awful this team has been for the last 30 years. When Joe Gibbs piloted them to that amazing 14-2 record and the NFL Championship in 1991-92, I never in my wildest nightmares thought it would be 30 years with only a smattering of playoff appearances, a merry-go-round of coaches, quarterbacks, GMs - etc., and that the franchise would be so sunk in total chaos. I didn't want Dan Snyder buying the team way back when after Jack Kent Cooke passed - and the following 30 years have proven to be just only slightly short of an unmitigated disaster. I go back to rooting for the old George Allen-coached "Over the Hill Gang" teams of the early 70s. Right now, I almost feel Billy Kilmer or Sonny Jurgenson could suit up and do at least as well as we've seen over much of the past 30 years.

I realize this comment isn't an RVA comment, but I had to chime in and vent a little frustration about the club. I fear I may not live to see them ever reach another Super Bowl.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, cbl1 said:

Be nice to see the CAA basketball tournament return to Richmond.

I think we could get the A10 and even ACC tournament there in the coming years.  NCAA tourney games would also be fantastic.

So are you all thinking this arena is looking like more of a sure thing at this point or does it still have many hurdles/pitfalls to clear?  I haven’t been following closely - I’m trying to decide whether I should be excited at this point or temper my expectations as I’m still reeling from the the NH debacle…

While I’d prefer the arena to be downtown, I don’t care where it is at this point - we just need an arena. Period.  Absurd an area of our size doesn’t have one.

Edited by Virginian11
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

As a life-long, die-hard fan of the Washington Football Team who grew up going to RFK and, of course, to both RFK and FedEx Field as an adult, I think part of any floppage with FedEx Field has at least, in part, SOMETHING to do with just how God-awful this team has been for the last 30 years. When Joe Gibbs piloted them to that amazing 14-2 record and the NFL Championship in 1991-92, I never in my wildest nightmares thought it would be 30 years with only a smattering of playoff appearances, a merry-go-round of coaches, quarterbacks, GMs - etc., and that the franchise would be so sunk in total chaos. I didn't want Dan Snyder buying the team way back when after Jack Kent Cooke passed - and the following 30 years have proven to be just only slightly short of an unmitigated disaster. I go back to rooting for the old George Allen coached "Over the Hill Game" teams of the early 70s. Right now, I almost feel Billy Kilmer or Sonny Jurgenson could suit up and do at least as well as we've seen over much of the past 30 years.

I realize this comment isn't an RVA comment, but I had to chime in and vent a little frustration about the club. I fear I may not live to see them ever reach another Super Bowl.

I got lucky, was able to watch and enjoy another team, although I grew up in Falls Church.  My dad and his side of the family, all Redskins fans,  big fans, went to games at RFK a few times, had family gatherings centered around the games.  How I got lucky, my mom is from Pittsburgh and she rooted for the Steelers, as luck and destiny would have it, I found myself liking the Steelers and have never looked back.  I  did watch the skins too during the Joe Gibbs era, Billy Kilmer, Sonny days too and enjoyed it, but ultimately, just prefer the Steelers and glad I don't have the mess to worry over anymore.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Virginian11 said:

I think we could get the A10 and even ACC tournament there in the coming years.  NCAA tourney games would also be fantastic.

So are you all thinking this arena is looking like more of a sure thing at this point or does it still have many hurdles/pitfalls to clear?  I haven’t been following closely - I’m trying to decide whether I should be excited at this point or temper my expectations as I’m still reeling from the the NH debacle…

While I’d prefer the arena to be downtown, I don’t care where it is at this point - we just need an arena. Period.  Absurd an area of our size doesn’t have one.

Pretty sure this is a go, I'd be surprised if it didn't.

On a side note, out for permit now, so ready to go into construction once bids are generated, which is end of this month, the Virginia Center Commons project that Henrico's building as a Sports Complex with Rebkee.

This is 12 NCAA regulation Basketball / 24 NCAA Volleyball / 4500 seats / meeting rooms / locker rooms / 50 million estimated cost / 181,000 s.f.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hike said:

Pretty sure this is a go, I'd be surprised if it didn't.

On a side note, out for permit now, so ready to go into construction once bids are generated, which is end of this month, the Virginia Center Commons project that Henrico's building as a Sports Complex with Rebkee.

This is 12 NCAA regulation Basketball / 24 NCAA Volleyball / 4500 seats / meeting rooms / locker rooms / 50 million estimated cost / 181,000 s.f.

So far, it seems as if the arena project is still (in the immortal words of NASA's "Voice of Apollo" Jack King) - "go at this time." Let's remember - this is Henrico we're talking about - not the city. I somehow don't see Henrico fumbling this one away.

A 17,000-seat arena should make RVA a good destination for the CAA, A-10, and NCAA tourneys. I wonder if bumping up the seat total to 18,000 (or more) would make the venue even more attractive? I realize that question in a not-yet post-pandemic world - is probably irrelevant at the moment, but perhaps it something worth considering. How much additional cost would there be to bump up the total capacity by a thousand seats? 

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 10:47 AM, I miss RVA said:

So far, it seems as if the arena project is still (in the immortal words of NASA's "Voice of Apollo" Jack King) - "go at this time." Let's remember - this is Henrico we're talking about - not the city. I somehow don't see Henrico fumbling this one away.

A 17,000-seat arena should make RVA a good destination for the CAA, A-10, and NCAA tourneys. I wonder if bumping up the seat total to 18,000 (or more) would make the venue even more attractive? I realize that question in a not-yet post-pandemic world - is probably irrelevant at the moment, but perhaps it something worth considering. How much additional cost would there be to bump up the total capacity by a thousand seats? 

I, too, think bumping it to the 18000-20000 capacity range puts it in a more “major league” category for sports/entertainment options.  I think that extra 1000 seats would go a long way in attracting the level of teams/shows our metro deserves - for years to come.  We don’t want to outgrow the arena a few years after it’s open.  

Exciting for RVA sports fans to potentially have a new arena and baseball park in the area by 2025.  Game changing stuff!

Edited by Virginian11
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Virginian11 said:

I, too, think bumping it to the 18000-20000 capacity range puts it in a more “major league” category for sports/entertainment options.  I think that extra 1000 seats would go a long way in attracting the level of teams/shows our metro deserves - for years to come.  We don’t want to outgrow the arena a few years after it’s open.  

Exciting for RVA sports fans to potentially have a new arena and baseball park in the area by 2025.  Game changing stuff!

Agreed 100%. Bumping it up by even 3000 seats - to the 20,000 capacity - would make it the largest such venue in the state (yes?) - I would rather we think big and take a while to grow into it than to think too small and end up getting bypassed for other venues in localities that had the foresight and the boldness to think big. If we think big now - we have a much better chance of securing events that otherwise might pass us for bigger venues that could be built down the road. It's akin to a poker game - upping the ante. Two adages, I think, are appropriate: "Go big or go home" - and, a line from The Sopranos - "Either come in heavy or don't come at all."

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Agree, yet for some reason, a lot of folks in Richmond think that even 17K is too many for the area to handle (probably all based on attendance at the Coliseum.  Not a good comparison).  What is wrong with these people?!

I know,  what gives, stop thinking small.  You know what,  with covid, and not just during that time,  arenas use covers, banners for advertising over seats, it just doesn't look that bad, it's looks good and acceptable.  If the arena can be 18 to 20K and only be used to that capacity a handful of engagements per year,  why not do it just to get the bigger events.  I'm bummed it's not downtown,  but, this location has significant advantages. 295/64 for beach & Williamsburg, 95 closer to Fredericksburg and NOVA, Springfield, 64/295 from C'ville,  the right concert, the right event and the draw seems way easier than navigating downtown plus, with a population draw that's huge and add in high speed train (hurry) with Staples Mill right there, this is positioned nicely.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hike said:

I know,  what gives, stop thinking small.  You know what,  with covid, and not just during that time,  arenas use covers, banners for advertising over seats, it just doesn't look that bad, it's looks good and acceptable.  If the arena can be 18 to 20K and only be used to that capacity a handful of engagements per year,  why not do it just to get the bigger events.  I'm bummed it's not downtown,  but, this location has significant advantages. 295/64 for beach & Williamsburg, 95 closer to Fredericksburg and NOVA, Springfield, 64/295 from C'ville,  the right concert, the right event and the draw seems way easier than navigating downtown plus, with a population draw that's huge and add in high speed train (hurry) with Staples Mill right there, this is positioned nicely.

It would be nice to have it downtown - but I'm starting to be okay with it - thinking that just perhaps there may be a much higher use for the land upon which the Coliseum currently sits. There is a TON of development that could go in north of Broad if we clear out what's there now and start over. And I hope the planners really maintain a firm hand in driving DENSITY. We want density and height - not a bunch of wide open spaces or "pedestal" towers - a building sitting in square in the middle of a four-street city block with low-rise construction around it or big wide plazas. I'm hoping Richmond is LONG-since done with that - and if the Richmond300 Plan is any indication, it is. And it's about time!

I'd just as soon see that whole shebang get bulldozed - and let developers in and let them go wild with density and height. Maybe a couple of big hotels. Tie in the Blues Armory. There's a lot of room for office and -especially - residential development. A lot of major cities have entire neighborhoods of densely packed, highrise residential buildings in sections of downtown. And while I think most of us agree generally this would be most applicable in Monroe Ward - why not north of Broad? A lot of potential for a lot of good development. Recall - we've been seeing talk of how downtown MUST have an at-home population of AT LEAST 30,000 to become a viable 24-7 part of the city. Getting rid of the Coliseum and redeveloping north of Broad into blocks of dense residential buildings will go a LONG way to making that a reality. And that's a reality that will benefit downtown and the entire city.

• Like 3

Seems as though there’s been pretty much radio silence on this since it was announced, but yes - Henrico is different than the city, and John Vithoulkas gets things done.

Slim to none RVA gets the ACC tourney regardless of size. If it’s going north of North Carolina, it’s going to DC. But CAA, A-10, and opening weekend NCAA tourney games are all possible, so why not go for 19,000-20,000, right? (It would be Virginia’s largest even at 17,000, though.)

• Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 8:52 PM, I miss RVA said:

As a life-long, die-hard fan of the Washington Football Team who grew up going to RFK and, of course, to both RFK and FedEx Field as an adult, I think part of any floppage with FedEx Field has at least, in part, SOMETHING to do with just how God-awful this team has been for the last 30 years. When Joe Gibbs piloted them to that amazing 14-2 record and the NFL Championship in 1991-92, I never in my wildest nightmares thought it would be 30 years with only a smattering of playoff appearances, a merry-go-round of coaches, quarterbacks, GMs - etc., and that the franchise would be so sunk in total chaos. I didn't want Dan Snyder buying the team way back when after Jack Kent Cooke passed - and the following 30 years have proven to be just only slightly short of an unmitigated disaster. I go back to rooting for the old George Allen-coached "Over the Hill Gang" teams of the early 70s. Right now, I almost feel Billy Kilmer or Sonny Jurgenson could suit up and do at least as well as we've seen over much of the past 30 years.

Well at least your not a Detroit lions fan like me. Losing for the last 60 plus years is absolutely horrible with no super bowl appearance or as bad as I hate saying it y’all were the last team we last to during the year we won our last playoff game. After the 1991 season we have been the laughing stock of the nfl. Dan Snyder may be bad but at least he isn’t the Ford family. Literally the worst owners of any sports franchise in the world. 

• Like 2