Solar Eclipse - August 21, 2017

urbanplanet17

In case everyone wasn't aware, Nashville is going to be one of the only big cities in the US (the others being Kansas City and St Louis) within the total eclipse zone on 8/21/17. It's actually going to occur when the sun is at its highest angle (1:30pm CDT).

With that being said, I'm curious to hear the reports from the locals at the ground-level. How are things developing from a tourism-perspective in anticipation of this event? Are the hotel rooms rapidly filling up? Are there any viewing activities planned?

Eclipse2017_USA.png.6572baf559b8cf53b647

TSE2017_state_overview_Missouri.jpg.0a05

TSE2017_state_overview_Kentucky.jpg.6d3a

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, PHofKS said:

I plan to be in the sand hills of Nebraska on that day.

35506324642_caceac4f08_z.jpg

Good plan! Visibility should be excellent. Unfortunately, for us, with humidity comes the chance of rain, clouds, and haze. Hopefully, it's just your typical miserably hot, sunny August day!

Schools should not even be open until after Labor Day IMO. They never were when I was a kid and still are not in Michigan as there is a state law that prohibits local school districts from starting the school year till after Labor Day. 

As far as the eclipse goes, I have been waiting on this day since I looked for the next eclipse back in 2000.

11 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Schools should not even be open until after Labor Day IMO. They never were when I was a kid and still are not in Michigan as there is a state law that prohibits local school districts from starting the school year till after Labor Day. 

As far as the eclipse goes, I have been waiting on this day since I looked for the next eclipse back in 2000.

I'm all for schools starting earlier because it means students get an entire semester in before winter break.  I remember as a kid coming back to school in January only to have to face semester exams after having forgotten everything during my family's Christmas vacation.  It is much preferable for students to return after winter break to a brand new semester.

I applaud Sumner County for closing its schools on the day of the solar eclipse.  I've not heard of any other school systems closing that day.  I imagine some schools will have special events that day since we won't have another total solar eclipse around these parts for another 500 years.

54 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Before that state law was made, the Archdiocese of Detroit and charter schools would start as early as mid-August and end in late May (versus mid-June). What's funny is the justification for that law in Michigan by then Governor was to boost attendance for the State Fair, which was subsequently killed by that same Governor. :tw_confused:

As far as schools down south, I understand the reason the school year ends so early and starts back up so early is because you're pretty much in deep Summer by the time May comes around and a lot of schools still don't have decent cooling systems or ventilation.

4 hours ago, urbanplanet17 said:

As far as schools down south, I understand the reason the school year ends so early and starts back up so early is because you're pretty much in deep Summer by the time May comes around and a lot of schools still don't have decent cooling systems or ventilation.

But it's a LOT hotter in the south in mid August than May.

To plagiarize jmtunafish: NASA has established several official viewing locations, only three of which are in Middle Tennessee. The only one in the Upper Cumberland region is in Cookeville at Tennessee Tech University.

Tech will be holding an all-day "Eclipse Fest" at Tucker Stadium and the adjoining Tailgate Park starting at 10am, with the viewing party starting at 12:30pm. While the event is free, they're asking that participants register so the university can plan accordingly.

For more information, check out its web site:
https://www.tntech.edu/stem/great-american-eclipse-2017

cookeville.png

The Tennessean had a story recently that indicated there were many public events and viewing parties planned in Nashville and Clarksville. I'm guessing there will be a lot more coverage as the date gets closer.

Interesting tidbit, according to one Tennessean story: Gallatin is expected to have the longest window of viewing the eclipse — 2 minutes and 40 seconds of darkness, according to the website GreatAmericanEclipse.com. Those watching from Lebanon will see 2 minutes and 37 of the eclipse, while Nashville's time will be a little less than two minutes.

Gallatin has a big all-day festival planned that includes a concert by Kimberly Locke, an American Idol runnerup a few years back.

• 1 month later...

There's a group of 8 people from my office in Chicago who are renting an AirBNB in Nashville to see the eclipse and then make a whole weekend out of it. They're paying an insane amount for the house! Definitely will be a great little end of summer boost to the economy!

3 hours ago, Nashcago said:

There's a group of 8 people from my office in Chicago who are renting an AirBNB in Nashville to see the eclipse and then make a whole weekend out of it. They're paying an insane amount for the house! Definitely will be a great little end of summer boost to the economy!

AirBnb's economy.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2017 at 11:44 AM, urbanplanet17 said:

Are the hotel rooms rapidly filling up?

$1300 for an Extended Stay on Elm Hill Pike. So, yes.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:54 AM, smeagolsfree said:

as there is a state law that prohibits local school districts from starting the school year till after Labor Day.

Wisconsin also has this. The tourist attractions don't want to lose student workers before the end of summer.

On 8/8/2017 at 1:15 PM, claya91 said:

To be fair, a hotel/motel tax is collected on STRPs.

Only if they're properly registered with the city. Many are not.

45 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

Only if they're properly registered with the city. Many Most are not.

This is purely anecdotal, but of the 10 or so people I know that AirBnB their residences/properties, maybe three actually have proper metro permits. Or maybe I just have bad friends...

In NC and SC all Airbnb rentals collect state sales tax at time of reservation.

Also in NC schools are mandated by the state that they can not start before August 25 because of the need of teenagers in resort areas. Our schools were creeping earlier and earlier in August until this was passed a few years back. We get out in early June just not as many long holidays as in other states. Cobb County GA outside of Atlanta started their schools July 31 this year! 

Vanderbilt and Belmont have their move ins this weekend and even Saturday night hotel stays are hard to come by because of the eclipse. Like $175 for a Super 8 motel for Sat night it is outrageous.  The traffic in this eclipse's path will be Biblical in its own right. 

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

In NC and SC all Airbnb rentals collect state sales tax at time of reservation.

Also in NC schools are mandated by the state that they can not start before August 25 because of the need of teenagers in resort areas. Our schools were creeping earlier and earlier in August until this was passed a few years back. We get out in early June just not as many long holidays as in other states. Cobb County GA outside of Atlanta started their schools July 31 this year! 

I remember starting school the day after Labor Day...and then we'd get out the week before Memorial Day in late May.  The only time during the year we'd get off would be 2 days for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas and 1 week for Spring Break.  But...we'd get a full 3 months of summer break.

Archived