Solar Eclipse - August 21, 2017

urbanplanet17

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I am REALLY glad I didn't drive to a city to see this. Just looked at google maps and the roads are a mess. It is red from Nashville to about 20 miles past Bowling Green (About 75 miles). Then I on I75 it is red for 50 miles going into Knoxville. Greenville to ATL is 160 miles and right now it is saying it will take almost 4 hrs to drive.

Hwy 111 heading north out of Cookeville.  It's unbelievable how many visitors came to the area for the eclipse, and they came from everywhere including large groups from China and Japan.  Astronaut Barry Wilmore (alum of Mt Juliet HS and Tennessee Tech) was at Tech with about 11,000 others to watch the eclipse.  Fortunately, we had clear skies and a totally unobstructed view of the eclipse.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I was totally blown away by the whole spectacle and am deeply grateful I got to see it.

20992625_1592948044060195_88354713254846

53 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Facebook post from Derek Bouza of Ninth Planet Media. Moment of totality over downtown Nashville.

IMG_0254.JPG

After a bright and sunny morning and a mostly bright / sunny afternoon, a fair weather cloud just so happen to move in / develop over downtown Nashville at the time of totality, so unfortunately most of us who were on on the roof tops of hotels and offices weren't able to see the eclipse itself.

Still, it was a fun experience as we all got snubbed by mother nature together (you could hear audible moaning throughout the city). I understand we weren't alone either. The same thing happen in Charleston, SC and Carbondale, IL.

On 8/22/2017 at 6:51 PM, Nathan_in_DC said:

I was stuck in a basement on a Navy base in San Diego...ugh!

Saw it on a rooftop in La Jolla. You didn't miss much. If you didn't know there was an eclipse happening, you'd think it was a normal day. I am very jealous of everyone's facebook feeds of the eclipse in Nashville, looked way cooler than I would have expected.

Archived