Sign in to follow this  
rancenc

North Carolina State Wide Development

Recommended Posts


Wow this is excellent for the wholr state.

Really interested in Citrix and what they're plan is for adding those 400 jobs? Maybe they plan on building another facility or perhaps they are going to anchor one of the other proposed projects in that general area of downtown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Trent Y said:

Wow this is excellent for the wholr state.

Really interested in Citrix and what they're plan is for adding those 400 jobs? Maybe they plan on building another facility or perhaps they are going to anchor one of the other proposed projects in that general area of downtown.

I think they could be the mysterious 1/3 of the tower tenant in One Glenwood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think they could be the mysterious 1/3 of the tower tenant in One Glenwood. 

Oh ok yeah that would make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a good read check out the link.  It shows just how neglected NC transportation planning had been in the past.  This mostly geared toward ports and rail but can be tied to economic development.  After reading this I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.  It will make you think what in the heck were our politicians thinking.  It always seems the state is decades behind when it comes to infrastructure.  Had NC been proactive and attacked geographical problems with a comprehensive plan along with other southern states then there would not be a mad scramble to play catch up.  As I said many times before in forums; yes NC ports are not in the best locations but they are not in impossible locations.  Or better yet, had there been better decisions made way back when about the locations then maybe the situation wouldn't be so dire.  At any rate I hope that investment in infrastructure will be a priority.  Although I feel that it is a pipe dream wit all the in-fighting and back and forth in the GA.  And while that is happening GA, SC and VA all improve their already competitive infrastructure to take our exports.  Sad.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Statewide-Freight-Plan/Documents/Maritime_Profile_Draft.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

For a good read check out the link.  It shows just how neglected NC transportation planning had been in the past.  This mostly geared toward ports and rail but can be tied to economic development.  After reading this I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.  It will make you think what in the heck were our politicians thinking.  It always seems the state is decades behind when it comes to infrastructure.  Had NC been proactive and attacked geographical problems with a comprehensive plan along with other southern states then there would not be a mad scramble to play catch up.  As I said many times before in forums; yes NC ports are not in the best locations but they are not in impossible locations.  Or better yet, had there been better decisions made way back when about the locations then maybe the situation wouldn't be so dire.  At any rate I hope that investment in infrastructure will be a priority.  Although I feel that it is a pipe dream wit all the in-fighting and back and forth in the GA.  And while that is happening GA, SC and VA all improve their already competitive infrastructure to take our exports.  Sad.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Statewide-Freight-Plan/Documents/Maritime_Profile_Draft.pdf

As far as the port locations, where would you have recommended there location with hindsight? Just curious, I'm not very educated on the ports besides the Southport proposal that never emerged. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NC has 2 ports Morehead City which is basically a bulk port ie wood chips, phosphates etc. Wilmington is the only container port in the state. The problem for years sea borne freight made its way to Norfolk Charleston or Savannah. In fact the state largest city Charlotte just got and I mean just a few weeks ago a direct link to Wilmington by train. Most Charlotte freight would go to Charleston or even Savannah. The Triangle area freight many times made its way t o Norfolk. NC is the LARGEST manufacturing state in the southeast and our ports are woefully behind. However that is starting to change. Charleston is increasing congestion. This is why NC has no auto manufacturers like SC or GA and we should. It is our weakness in ports. However they have done some very recent improvements in Wilmington larger cranes, new rail overnight service to Charlotte, deepening the channel for larger ships. Last year the the largest ship to ever call on Wilmington docked there. So we are improving  but we have a lot of catch up to do. Georgia has done an incredible job with Savannah. Huge intermodal train yard, lots of 4 lanes highways to the port, encouraging large big box distribution centers. Little Brunswick GA is the top 2 or 3 auto import or export port in the country!  We now have more 4 lane highways to Wilmington via I-40 and US 74. However this effort has to be from the state to make the logistics work. One thing Wilmington has it is that is NOT congested like Charleston! And time is money in logistics. 

See Port News under Wilmington for more news

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Only one railroad serves the ports of Wilmington (CSX) and Morehead City (NS on the NCRR).  No major shipper wants to be held captive by a single rail shipper when they can go to Hampton Rhodes, Charleston or Savannah and play both SE railroads against each other for decent rates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly different take on statewide development...

In 2011 NC celebrated the opening of 100th Winery in the state ( https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2011/01/28/nc-gains-100th-winery.html )

Fast forward to 2017 we have 186 - ( https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/09/29/newest-n-c-winery-is-on-the-map-in-charlotte.html )

Quote
186
wineries from the mountains to the coast
525

vineyards encompassing 

2,300 acres

19
wineries within 50 miles of Charlotte
$1.97 billion
economic impact of wine and grape industry
10,000
jobs supported by the wine industry

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two mixed-use parking decks in the works for downtown Greensboro.  Both will have ground level retail and restaurants. The Westin Greensboro is scheduled to open in 2019.  An 11 story hotel will be built atop a 6 story deck that will cross over a street and stretch a block. 

The other deck will be an 8 story deck to be built across the street from the ballpark. Developer Roy Carroll plans to build a 15 to 20 tower on top of the deck and it will include an Aloft hotel. Starwoods website says the Aloft will open in 2020. The tower will include residential and rumors are that a life insurance company will occupy office space.  The developers will build the decks which will be city decks. The city will reimburse the developers. The decks will be paid for through a hike in downtown parking fees.  There is a small group opposed to these projects due to the nature of the private/public partnership and the Westin deck could get tied up in a legal battle over an easement owned by an adjoining business. City council is expected to vote on the decks next tuesday. 

 

The Westin Greensboro / parking deck. 

5a3071dd492bd_promo337391936(1).thumb.jpg.5d4d06f6505a3e618795cdb70f5ce64a.jpg

 

 

8 story parking deck

The tower on top will likely be a striking contemporary skyscraper which fits with the design of urban Aloft hotels.   Looks like the sides of the deck are angled. The glass face desguises the fact that it is a deck. 

Screenshot_20171212-203557.thumb.png.56cee13a57522087d978c55fa33b6993.png

Another rendering of thr Westin Greensboro. 

5a3067ea002c4_Westinhotel.thumb.jpg.b702a2f24a95d7456091569326134fc2 (2).jpg

Across the street from the 8 story glass deck and future tower will be a 9 story office tower embedded within the ballpark. 

3-final-flat (1).jpg

5925da8f00ddb.image (1).jpg

Edited by cityboi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.