SRS on Short List for Nuclear Plant

goodbye

In your opinion, do you think we are ready for a new Nuclear Power Plant?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, do you think we are ready for a new Nuclear Power Plant?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure
    • Don't Care

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a great thing both for the state and the Aiken/Augusta area. SRS will continue to lose missions and thus the area will continue to lose high-paying jobs, so anything (within reason) to offset those losses is very welcome. At one point, SRS employed close to 30,000 people, and today those numbers are around 14,000 and falling. Two other major additions are in the works, as well as the hydrogen research facility, but even those will not offset the current job losses.

As far as safety, SRS is enormous (310 sq. miles) and the areas nearby are sparsely developed, so this would be an ideal place for a facility that many consider unsafe. I really have a feeling that the future of SRS is in nuclear energy, as well as hydrogen research.

Yes.

More jobs.

More power.

Less polution.

There are things to be aware of on a negative side, but the Duke Energy plant in Oconee County hasn't caused any major problems in the Upstate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't have said it better.

We let one isolated screw up ruin everything. Meanwhile France has the edge on us. What is up with that?

• 2 weeks later...

Another nuclear plant clearly will help in many aspects of the state, and this state is definitely ready for it. It will help attract higher paying jobs. It will give the state cleaner and more efficient electrical power. I would make sure that it was placed in a county that basically needs more jobs such as Marlboro or Dillon Counties.

Good point CN about the counties that need jobs. I recently traveled through Allendale County on my way to Statesboro, GA. That place is desolate, I'm more than sure they could use the jobs. It would also help out largely-rural adjacent Screven County in GA as well.

Good point CN about the counties that need jobs. I recently traveled through Allendale County on my way to Statesboro, GA. That place is desolate, I'm more than sure they could use the jobs. It would also help out largely-rural Screven County in GA as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely, krazeeboi! Unfortunately, there are many counties that we know of in this state that need the income and business influx from a new nuclear plant. Allendale is another good example. I'd also see if the plant could be placed in counties such as Jasper and Marion.

Hey CN, seems as though our prayers are beginning to be answered. Orangeburg's The Times and Democrat newspaper announced that Grant Forest Products Inc., a Canadian wood paneling company, is set to bring more than 200 jobs and more than $400 capital investment to Allendale and Clarendon counties. Each plant will employ approximately 120 people. Allendale has the 6th highest unemployment rate in SC (10.1%), and Clarendon has the 12th highest (8.7%). Read the entire article here.

Hey CN, seems as though our prayers are beginning to be answered. Orangeburg's The Times and Democrat newspaper announced that Grant Forest Products Inc., a Canadian wood paneling company, is set to bring more than 200 jobs and more than $400 capital investment to Allendale and Clarendon counties. Each plant will employ approximately 120 people. Allendale has the 6th highest unemployment rate in SC (10.1%), and Clarendon has the 12th highest (8.7%). Read the entire article here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is indeed an answered prayer. I'm very happy for both of those counties. For a largely rural area, a timber company is quite an easy fit. I hope this helps catalyze future business ventures in this state. The article points out something very true: this state has a wide diversity of resources. It is time we use them.

Archived