Jump to content

23320

Hampton Inn at Town Center (Proposed)

Recommended Posts

This project is again moving forward. Resubmitted application was received on October 19th, and it is now in review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


While they have advanced considerably through the process this go around, the project has been again marked as resubmittal required. I have gained a new appreciation for how stringent the city’s review process can be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ODU’s Market Review publication listed three hotels under development in Town Center.  Hyatt Place, Residence Inn & Fairfield Inn. It seems like the developer may have changed the brand unless there’s another proposal that we’ve missed. It’s going to be 120 rooms with a 2020 opening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 23320 said:

ODU’s Market Review publication listed three hotels under development in Town Center.  Hyatt Place, Residence Inn & Fairfield Inn. It seems like the developer may have changed the brand unless there’s another proposal that we’ve missed. It’s going to be 120 rooms with a 2020 opening. 

Hmmm... Are we sure it's the same one?  Fairfield inn doesn't usually go vertical, and there is definitely not enough room on that land for a traditional suburban Fairfield. Did they give a specific location or did they just say Town Center? There's also the possibility that it's a typo and they are still pursuing a Hampton Inn. I'd also think they would need to start construction very soon if they're opening in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Hmmm... Are we sure it's the same one?  Fairfield inn doesn't usually go vertical, and there is definitely not enough room on that land for a traditional suburban Fairfield. Did they give a specific location or did they just say Town Center? There's also the possibility that it's a typo and they are still pursuing a Hampton Inn. I'd also think they would need to start construction very soon if they're opening in 2020.

It was just a list of of hotel developments in the region. Each of them were listed as Virginia Beach Town Center with room counts, developer, and scheduled opening. I can’t say with certainty it’s the same location but if it’s a different site then they haven’t filed any plans with the city. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the application is actually moving again and there was activity on it as recently as March 15th so I believe you may be on to something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Project has again been marked “resubmittal required”. I’ll be an old man before they get this through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, metalman said:

What may be reasons for resubmittal?  Is anything going on with this being that we know Fairfield is going on Bendix?

More than likely issues with design and parking. It's a small lot. There has been no movement on this project since it was marked revisions required in March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, urbanvb said:

I wonder what the status of this is..

There has been no movement on this in a year. Probably dead. I wish we had access to the renderings like we do when it goes before the planning commission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just when it was thought to be dead, the proposal will be discussed by council during their work session next week. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 23320 said:

Just when it was thought to be dead, the proposal will be discussed by council during their work session next week. 

Really? What happened? It hasn’t even gone through the planning process yet. Must be trying for a public/private partnership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Really? What happened? It hasn’t even gone through the planning process yet. Must be trying for a public/private partnership.

It’s on the agenda and being presented by Taylor Adams but no additional information yet. Hopefully they’ll post the full agenda package but if not they air all meetings on Facebook Live. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hold up was parking. Obviously there is no room for a parking garage on site so they want to use adjacent Town Center parking. Needs city council approval to proceed. Totally private investment, no public funds. Nicest Hampton Inn I’ve ever seen.

 

2D6DDA09-227B-41F2-A0B2-5D3EE5C217D3.png

77748B63-9D17-425A-A51E-3AB1767BCA3E.png

C5B9171C-3619-4252-8F91-73E8F2920F7F.png

724C4312-DFA9-4516-8308-D9B85E02808E.png

7A5FB11C-4B7A-4301-BE26-C35537773860.png

This will be the first Development in Town Center proper not connected to Armada Hoffler or Divaris. Completely private, no partnership. They will pay for the spaces that they use. A very urban style hotel. It might be that we’ll have 2 high rises under construction at the same time in TC this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, the flyer says 14-stories but the Department spokesman said 15, may have misspoke. Keeping it at 14 for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda like the modernist look. And a 14/15 story tower on this smallish lot definitely adds presence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Town Center is starting to have a nice presence. It’ll look great from 264. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New hotel pitched for Virginia Beach Town Center wants to use public parking

The project received some coverage from the Pilot and of course the social media protesters are going nuts about using the existing garages. At least this proposal uses what’s already there and not an additional garage. Bad news though: tomorrow’s meeting has been postponed due to the pandemic and there’s no timeline for when it will be heard. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 23320 said:

New hotel pitched for Virginia Beach Town Center wants to use public parking

The project received some coverage from the Pilot and of course the social media protesters are going nuts about using the existing garages. At least this proposal uses what’s already there and not an additional garage. Bad news though: tomorrow’s meeting has been postponed due to the pandemic and there’s no timeline for when it will be heard. 

That makes sense, not every building needs to have a garage and hotels have such a flux with parking needs that the surrounding public garages and maybe valet services should be more than enough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.