Hampton Inn at Town Center (Under Construction)

HRVA

On 3/16/2020 at 1:40 PM, 23320 said:

New hotel pitched for Virginia Beach Town Center wants to use public parking

The project received some coverage from the Pilot and of course the social media protesters are going nuts about using the existing garages. At least this proposal uses what’s already there and not an additional garage. Bad news though: tomorrow’s meeting has been postponed due to the pandemic and there’s no timeline for when it will be heard. 

All the items on the cancelled agenda will be heard on April 7th.

• 4 weeks later...

I really hope this project survives the downturn (or any project for that matter). Needless to say, entire session was designated to Covid response. Gonna have to wait a little while longer to see this through, if it’s still on the table.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 5:39 AM, 23320 said:

The Development Authority discussed the project this week.  The presentation starts on page 13. The comments indicate the site plans and building plans are waiting for approval of parking and easements by city council before they can be finalized and approved by planning. 

It looks like it will make a good addition to the downtown, nothing flashy or tall, but it looks good. I am also impressed with my old Junior High getting a new building. Princess Anne Middle School looks like it will be an awesome looking school.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/11/2020 at 2:47 AM, baobabs727 said:

Any known updates?

D2FFE4A8-289D-4EAC-8505-A7EB307AB1C1.jpeg

The development authority approved a modification to the development agreement late last month. This modification was to add to the number of parking spaces which they can use, because they are increasing the number of rooms. No idea if there is also a corresponding increase in height because of this.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, metalman said:

I’ve been seeing this over the past week or so.  They started with right lane closures and utility work around the utility building near the RR  tracks between Bon Secours and BUffalo Wild Wing.  That’s what I’ve been thinking too.  

Yeah, it looks like they’re upgrading the sewer line that goes to the property. There were also some electrical workers surveying nearby.

Hopefully the hotel going in will help lease that space across the street in block 9 and block 10.  All that space facing Columbus street has had trouble leasing since it doesn't get much foot traffic.  Drybar, a salon,  just signed a lease for ~2000 SF on the corner of Market and Columbus so we could see some work for that tenant buildout.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, urbanvb said:

I keep waiting to see if anything is happening at this property. :unsure:

Shamin is having some issues with another hotel that's in default that I'm not sure if it's affecting the timeline for this one as well. The hotel that's in default generally relied on conference revenue instead of hotel occupancy to generate it's income, and ran into trouble during the pandemic. A lot may depend on how they resolve that issue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 4:51 PM, vdogg said:

Shamin is having some issues with another hotel that's in default that I'm not sure if it's affecting the timeline for this one as well. The hotel that's in default generally relied on conference revenue instead of hotel occupancy to generate it's income, and ran into trouble during the pandemic. A lot may depend on how they resolve that issue.

It appears that Shamin has been on a bit of a buying spree. They have purchased two hotels in the area, one a Hampton Inn at the ocean front, and the other the Renaissance Hotel in Portsmouth. Whatever the reason for the delay in construction, it certainly does not appear to be due to their financial health.

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/shamin-hotels-purchases-va-beach-hampton-inn/

• 2 months later...
  • vdogg changed the title to Hampton Inn at Town Center (Under Construction)
  • 2 months later...

This project appears to have stalled for a bit. There is an open item in planning related to their storm water removal plan that has yet to be resolved. Unsure if this is the holdup or not. Will be moving this back to an indeterminate status if i don’t see progress by the end of the month.

• 1 month later...

After some extensive digging, an update:                                            Completion of sale of property to Stokes Properties occurred on 6/9/2021 with the permit to begin site work being issued 8/17/2021. The gist of the preliminary site work is that Cox cable needs to run new 268' worth of cable plus corresponding conduit to the property, extensive boring will be necessary (plus several other punch list items that are too numerous to spell out here). This work has proceeded....sloooowly. Partial closures are upcoming, and will be occurring between the hours of 9am and 3pm. This is only referring to Cox Cable, and not any of the other utility work that needs to be done. Needless to say, it's going to be a bit before we see major work, but the project is indeed moving forward.

• Like 2