Hampton Inn at Town Center (Under Construction)

HRVA

58 minutes ago, vdogg said:

The address and description don't match. Wherever it is I just hope it's urban and compliments the design of TC proper.

It's where the little one story office is next to the lake across from the Dicks garage and the current construction. 

• Like 1

I know that area. That's a very small parcel of land. I can't imagine a hotel sitting on such a small footprint. It would definitely have to build up to have any size.  They would almost certainly have to utilize the the parking garages around it.  Google maps 4569 Columbus Street to have a look. 

Edited by urbanvb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, urbanvb said:

The lot is a little larger than I remembered. I snapped a pic below. 

IMG_20170506_182448.jpg

That still looks pretty tiny for an entire hotel to fit on. I would imagine that this would have to be a Hampton Inn focused on building up (maybe 7 or 8 stories or so). 

On 5/6/2017 at 7:47 PM, HRVT said:

That still looks pretty tiny for an entire hotel to fit on. I would imagine that this would have to be a Hampton Inn focused on building up (maybe 7 or 8 stories or so). 

Doing a quick google maps measurement, the lot is roughly about 150x100ft, which is plenty of room to build a hotel on. In Portland, our blocks are 200x200ft, and a number of our buildings are only 100x100ft, including a new Hampton Inn type hotel that just opened. It will probably be about 6 to 8 stories high, but shouldn't have any problem fitting on that site. My guess is that they would utilize the parking garage across the street rather than build a garage for themselves on this block.

I wasn't able to find the exact dimensions but the lot is just under 9500 sq ft so much smaller than 100x150. 

Although there's a smaller lot between it and Market so hopefully it will be included in the project. 

Edited by Brennen

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 8:56 AM, Brennen said:

I wasn't able to find the exact dimensions but the lot is just under 9500 sq ft so much smaller than 100x150. 

Although there's a smaller lot between it and Market so hopefully it will be included in the project. 

I just did a quick google maps measuring, so I don't know the actual lines from the site, though 9500sf ft is definitely much smaller than the amount of land that is there.

• 1 month later...

That is honestly more than I was expecting. Thought they were going to low-ball it. That's a decent size for a Hampton Inn. They're usually not that tall to begin with. Now if we can only get some decent architecture out of this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Virginia City said:

Please don't be ugly, please don't be ugly, please don't be ugly 

That's my biggest fear. I don't want some bland cookie cutter oceanfront hotel. They need to step it up a notch for Town Center.

5 hours ago, vdogg said:

That's my biggest fear. I don't want some bland cookie cutter oceanfront hotel. They need to step it up a notch for Town Center.

Honestly, I'd like to see the oceanfront get away from cookie cutter too. As for Town Center, I'd love to see an all-glass design, but I dunno how innovative they'll get for a Hampton Inn...

• Like 1

On 7/14/2017 at 3:23 PM, vdogg said:

That is honestly more than I was expecting. Thought they were going to low-ball it. That's a decent size for a Hampton Inn. They're usually not that tall to begin with. Now if we can only get some decent architecture out of this.

Expect it to be bland, it probably won't be ugly, but you will probably be like "yep, that is a Hampton Inn Hotel..."

• Like 2

9500 sq ft. That's a pretty small footprint, so the 13 stories make sense. Maybe a nice skinny one with glass. Or an L-shaped one.  

What I'm envisioning, however, is miles of tannish EIFS cladding, some dark windows and the big bright red sign on top.

Hoping for better, preparing for the worst.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Project is still making it's way through the review process. Things seemed to have stalled out for a bit but there's been a recent flurry of activity in March and April that have seen multiple items signed off on the planning application. Bottom line, this project is still alive and moving forward. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I was  looking through Hampton Inns online and most of the designs are, how shall I say, uninspired.  The closest one to the size proposed at TC I found is this one in downtown Phoenix. Let’s hope that we get one with a design of at least that caliber. 

16242D88-6B39-4DC8-A66C-35E80A71491B.jpeg

Well, the city is certainly given the developer hell on this application. The application is again marked as resubmittal required.  I would like to think that this is because the city is holding the developer to a high architectural standard in that location. We'll see.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It appears the building has now been vacated. There is a sign offering paid parking out front for now. There has also been surveying and utility work occurring around the property. Their application hasn’t been updated yet, but it appears we’re about to move forward.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The application resubmittal was due April 17th, but there's been no movement on the application since then. There is obviously some issue that the planning department is not happy about, but what that is I do not know. The architect is MSA, P. C.

• Thanks 1