NCFC Soccer Stadium

Green_man

"North Carolina Football Club is asking the State of North Carolina to enter into a dialogue to facilitate a public-private partnership to build a mixed-use community featuring an entertainment, sports and athletics venue that would be home to a Major League Soccer (MLS) team. In partnership with Kane Realty, this community will include conference space; office, hospitality and retail space; housing and public parking."

NCFC stadium.jpg

• Like 4

Hard to tell much detail from that drawing, but the site is adjacent to an enormous State Government parking deck.  Looks like they'd actually have to tear down half of it to get the stadium in there.  They would also have to move the historic Seaboard Railroad building (the big red brick one with all the cast iron railings on Salisbury Street), but it's already been done once, so I guess they could do it again...

Yeah hopefully the Seaboard Building gets saved, but also Archdale and Dobbs are also missing. Both suck majorly and could use a modern reclad...or just better buildings built close by. It's potentially a great site with a ton of hurdles to overcome. 

Don't know how Charlotte is going to respond but from Raleigh's point of view, this would be great for downtown. Its the only major city in North Carolina without a downtown stadium and it could be Raleigh's only real chance to get one. The stadium will indeed help spur nearby development and it will be explosive development. 

Edited by cityboi

Forgive me for not knowing building names, but as others have pointed out it appears that the tall white building on the north end of the lawn seems to be gone in this rendition. What office or government department was in there, and do they have proper plans to relocate?

I also noticed large tents on that lawn. Could they be proposing some sort of marketplace with small shops during stadium events? Seems like a cool idea... that space always seems closed off from the rest of downtown right now.

Edited by Reverie39

40 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

Forgive me for not knowing building names, but as others have pointed out it appears that the tall white building on the north end of the lawn seems to be gone in this rendition. What office or government department was in there, and do they have proper plans to relocate?

I also noticed large tents on that lawn. Could they be proposing some sort of marketplace with small shops during stadium events? Seems like a cool idea... that space always seems closed off from the rest of downtown right now.

The hideous 1970s vintage skyscaper is the Archdale Building.  It was formerly the home of DEQ, but I believe all environmental stuff has moved up Salisbury to Green Square.  I think that building may be partially vacant...Department of Public Safety is the only tenant, unless they've moved some odd agency group in there since DEQ decamped.  I have heard that Archdale is in really bad shape(maybe bad enough that it was slated for demolition anyway,..)

• Like 1

I'm a bit skeptical of the stadium site and design, but I'll take it.  I just hope that Malik has this all planned out with the State. 

I'm really glad we finally have something to look at, and judge, and I hope MLS receives a great impression of our market's potential. 

Let's all go to the rally tonight and show our support!  I'll be there!

per this Luke Decock column  in N&O, Malik has partnered up with John Kane (strong Republican ties) to be able to offer the General Assembly a couple of new Kane-built towers to replace Archdale and Dobbs Building (which houses the Utilities Commission, and also has vacancy since Dept. of Insurance left for the newly renovated Albemarle Building across Salisbury).  Article refers to fact that they were far along enough in discussions with STate Government to name this as the preferred site.

I will say I have never seen this particular site used this way in any long term master plan document.  I knew that McCrory had proposed selling off the State Government training center (drab building on Peace across street from SEaboard Station).  The real tricky part of this proposal will be the parking, because it is already a bear down here when the Legislature is in session, and it looks like some major state employee parking facilities would be impacted (for starters, the underground parking deck that stretches from the basement of the Archdale Building all the way to the Legislative Building, and that houses the parking for most of the employees working in the existing State Government buildings you see in the rendering--Revenue Building in foreground, DPI building behind it, and the Legislative Office Building across Halifax mall from the DPI building).  THose issues can easily be dealt with if there is lots of $$ and a fair amount of buyin from the Legislature.  I hope they didn't make the mistake of only dealing with Dept. of Administration and the Cooper Administration, because Phil Berger and Tim Moore are the two folks who must be on board, or this is DOA.

Edited by JeffC
  • Like 1

How feasible is all this? Getting the state to donate or lease their land, move 965 workers, move or even destroy a historical building on the site.  Is this the only site near downtown that would work?  I agree the Archdale Building is ugly and it would not be a big loss but what is the cost to state taxpayers for all this? Is there any other urban Raleigh site that would work?  http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article162561493.html

• Like 1

New Raleigh posted a cool video.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthCarolinaFC/videos/10154680364660423/?hc_ref=ARQFLzKFFu006Ne6jvf85XvqpeqkOwffCgeJS1gktzFZL6R65xw8vR_zdM7Ay3z1-sc

If this stadium gets built as envisioned, Raleigh will have one of the best sports complexes in the country.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1

The first problem is, who speaks for "the state"? It's not the Governor alone. The Council of State would have to endorse sale of the property. The General Assembly would have to approve any budget impact. That's a lot of people to get on board, at least some of whom are likely to be disinterested in Raleigh and MLS. 

13 minutes ago, Green_man said:

Surely even the republicans will listen to money though, right?  They can do the necessary renovations to the Archdale for $107 million per the condition assessment report or they can sell the land and build a new tower for the same amount or less.

If it meant they denied Raleigh or any other "urban" area of NC a development project, they would gladly pass on the revenue.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:57 PM, JeffC said:

The hideous 1970s vintage skyscaper is the Archdale Building.  It was formerly the home of DEQ, but I believe all environmental stuff has moved up Salisbury to Green Square.  I think that building may be partially vacant...Department of Public Safety is the only tenant, unless they've moved some odd agency group in there since DEQ decamped.  I have heard that Archdale is in really bad shape(maybe bad enough that it was slated for demolition anyway,..)

I am a DEQ employee currently working in the Archdale Building! We have been given no insider info, but I can tell you that they are downsizing DEQ in fairly dramatic fashion yet again. As crappy as that is, it would make housing us somewhere else easier for this plan to work out. 

Also, RE life in the Archdale, feel free to ask me anything you may want to know :)

6 hours ago, DanRNC said:

If it meant they denied Raleigh or any other "urban" area of NC a development project, they would gladly pass on the revenue.

I think the inclusion of Kane on the development team makes a huge difference on that front. His voice carries much more weight than the rural pawns in the GA. 

Edited by Jones_

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

I am a DEQ employee currently working in the Archdale Building! We have been given no insider info, but I can tell you that they are downsizing DEQ in fairly dramatic fashion yet again. As crappy as that is, it would make housing us somewhere else easier for this plan to work out. 

Also, RE life in the Archdale, feel free to ask me anything you may want to know :)

I think the inclusion of Kane on the development team makes a huge difference on that front. His voice carries much more weight than the rural pawns in the GA. 

How about a photo of the proposed stadium site from up high in the Archdale building towards Peace St and then one toward the capitol and Fayetteville St just for skyline view. 

• Like 1

Subsequent N&O coverage:

• Mecklenburg representatives in the General Assembly don't want state government to favor Raleigh over Charlotte for MLS.
  • The City of Raleigh had a different location in mind.
  • Some concerns are voiced about taxpayer money for the stadium, even indirectly, unless it's positioned as transportation infrastructure. Not enough detail about Malik/Kane plan to know yet exactly who would pay for what.
  • Like 1

I'm a Durhamite and admittedly know next to nothing about Wake County transit - but was there ever a planned rail station component to this site before?  Are the stadium developers interested by that/pushing for it/hoping against it?  It looks to be about 3/4of a mile from Union Station.  Is a northern rail corridor totally dead?

3 hours ago, ctl said:

Subsequent N&O coverage:

• Mecklenburg representatives in the General Assembly don't want state government to favor Raleigh over Charlotte for MLS.
  • The City of Raleigh had a different location in mind.
  • Some concerns are voiced about taxpayer money for the stadium, even indirectly, unless it's positioned as transportation infrastructure. Not enough detail about Malik/Kane plan to know yet exactly who would pay for what.

Yeah, the N&O coverage has been needlessly pessimistic. 

KJHBurg, I'll do my best, but one of the reasons Archdale sucks so bad to work in is there are almost no windows. There are four little slits facing towards the stadium and those don't open very much so I can't dangle out too well...but I should be able to get some birds eye something or other. 

The very old TTA transit plan, asedmonds, had a State Government station sort of hanging above where Capital Blvd dives under the tracks. It was criticized for being much too close to the Hargett St station. Anyhow, I think that plan is 100% gone, and no new proposal exists that I am aware of, but the transit folks here would know better than I. 

Edit: So three of the four windows facing that way on my floor and blocked by people's crap. And like I said, it's just not a great view anyway...the windows are small and set back somewhat, Dobbs is in the way of half the shot etc. You're better off looking at google maps. But anyway, here is one picture. 

Stadium Site.jpg

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 3

Not excited about the name.  Can we please get over the fact that Raleigh and Charlotte don't like each other or one part of the state will not support the other because of a name.  I would think we are far more sophisticated than that by now.  Anyone who does watch Italian sere A or Europa league or any futbol knows the names are either tied to the city, have some historical significance or are to the point.   My suggestions:

Raleigh Resolve

Old Hickory-my fav, the name sticks

The Red Birds

I guess you could add FC, united or any other descriptor to it but I just think we should not sell ourselves short and actually buy in to the fact that no one will support the team without NC attached to it.  IMO.