NCFC Soccer Stadium

Green_man

6 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

names are either tied to the city, have some historical significance or are to the point.   My suggestions:

Old Hickory-my fav, the name sticks

That's so obscure though and doesn't really have any tie in to modern day Raleigh/Triangle things.  At that point might as well just call them the Five Forties.

Some soccer teams I've played for locally, for the purposes of sparking name ideas. Wanderin' Grovers. Shoulder Deep. Raleigh Rockers. Raleigh Rage. 

If Raleigh-Durham weren't taboo, a simple Raleigh-Durham Dynamo would sound cool. 

Edit: I also played for Filet Biscuit Combo. There is some local flavor for you...

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Popsickle said:

The Five Forties does have a nice ring to it...

Yeah I said it in jest but it's actually not that terrible, haha.

They could sell 40's of Olde English at the stadium, it'd be perfect.  :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DPK said:

Yeah I said it in jest but it's actually not that terrible, haha.

They could sell 40's of Olde English at the stadium, it'd be perfect.  :lol:

Hell, after that I am ready to invest! Instead of Thirsty Thursday, we could do Edward 40 Hands Sundays! The marketing potential is unlimited!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jones_ said:

Some soccer teams I've played for locally, for the purposes of sparking name ideas. Wanderin' Grovers. Shoulder Deep. Raleigh Rockers. Raleigh Rage. 

If Raleigh-Durham weren't taboo, a simple Raleigh-Durham Dynamo would sound cool. 

Edit: I also played for Filet Biscuit Combo. There is some local flavor for you...

Raleigh Ques (as in BBQ)

24 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

Raleigh Ques (as in BBQ)

When I think BBQ, I don't think Raleigh, I think Lexington, then I think Little Richards, then I realized I have to settle for Smithfield's.

How about Raleigh Soteria, Greek god of safety, salvation and deliverance...I think it would play well with how Raleigh was founded as the capital, with the issues caused by the location of New Bern had. 

And brings the entire state into the picture, just one man's idea. 

The Ques, The Oaks, The Red Birds, Old Hickory, The Five Forties.  These are all nicknames that should come about organically and well done for the creativity!  Over the course of club's histories, nicknames develop for the team, the supporters, the stadium ends.  The name of the team is simple to allow for exactly these such expressions!

The Raleigh Loblolly....? Rhymes, that tree grows all over the State, and the mascot would be kind of fabulous. 

Other ideas that evoke images of life around here. The Raleigh Cubicles. Adverse Weather Freakout. Extreme Humidity. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to be too rumor mill-esque, but deep within the State, there seems to be evolving a deus ex machina. The higher up money folks whisper to me that plans for how to handle such a massive venture, financially, have more or less been worked out (the Mayor's comments about making the numbers work are meaningless as the City really has almost zero skin in this). We all know John Kane wouldn't allow himself to be mentioned at all if HE hadn't verified numbers could work in one form or another to the liking of all parties. Additionally there is speculation that the recent law (yes they passed a law to do this) that reallocated underground parking spaces to the GA is also being conveniently used to vacate the areas of the deck nearest the Archdale Building. As I said. Speculation. Will MLS award Raleigh a franchise? Nobody knows of course. Would both political parties go along with it? Seems unlikely, but they both have platform level reasons for doing so. One is pro city/pro Raleigh, the other seizes every justification possible for crunching up the State workforce while also looking to de-legitimize the work force through various means...move them from downtown/shrink the downtown footprint e.g. 

While the odds certainly are not with us, they sure seem to be far from zero....

• Like 1

Nancy McMayor's comments simply reflect she is bitter that Malik never coddled her or the city council.  Why would he if it was on state property at this point?  She views this as a missed opportunity to show what she is bringing to Raleigh in the next election.  It's more pride than prejudice 

On 8/12/2017 at 8:57 AM, Julendsl said:

Nancy McMayor's comments simply reflect she is bitter that Malik never coddled her or the city council.  Why would he if it was on state property at this point?  She views this as a missed opportunity to show what she is bringing to Raleigh in the next election.  It's more pride than prejudice 

haha.  I hope you stretched before such a leap!  What a ridiculous statement.

2 hours ago, Green_man said:

haha.  I hope you stretched before such a leap!  What a ridiculous statement.

I never understood all the McFarlane hate. I think she is doing fine. She represents what this city is quite well I think....a little center-left on some urban things (general urban form like bike lanes and street facing retail and then some big things like Dix etc), and a little center-right when it comes to business related stuff. We are not Portland/Seattle/SF and neither are we Atlanta/Houston/Miami. We are very much in between, and her political content and political style both reflect that. I realize both the uber green left and the massive sparkling skyscraper right (because only a big business's can build these things...banks e.g., ergo big business=political right) remain completely unsatisfied, but really, it's not coming together badly at all around here. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 2

I work in the Legislative branch, and was told by some of our capital folks that a major fly in the ointment for stadium plan is the fact that Archdale must be disassembled piece by piece because of its integral structural connection to the parking garage underneath Halifax Mall. (i.e. no Vegas style implosion), and that this disassembly has been estimated at $45 million.  In long run the destruction of the parking garages along the railroad tracks ("Lots 75 and 76 in Dept. of Administration lingo) would be no big deal, because equivalent parking would be built as part of Kane's development, but short run impacts would be huge. They'd need to figure out a way to build the replacement parking structure prior to demolishing those, or parking during legislative session would become a major, Atlantaesque horror.   I don't think anyone would be allowed to raze the National Register listed Seaboard Railroad office building, but it has been moved before and presumably could be again, or innovatively incorporated into the stadium plans...would make a really cool restaurant with those cast iron balcony railings.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JeffC said:

I don't think anyone would be allowed to raze the National Register listed Seaboard Railroad office building, but it has been moved before and presumably could be again, or innovatively incorporated into the stadium plans...would make a really cool restaurant with those cast iron balcony railings.

Yeah, I hate that building is hidden where nobody can see it. Would be great to be moved somewhere more prominent with more foot traffic and be a restaurant or museum or something. 

Edited by InitialD

1 hour ago, InitialD said:

Yeah, I hate that building is hidden where nobody can see it. Would be great to be moved somewhere more prominent with more foot traffic and be a restaurant or museum or something. 

I was thinking it should moved into the Warehouse District somewhere, or perhaps wedge it in between the Berkley and Laytons Catering facing Nash Square. Sitting up on the cast iron balcony enjoying the massive oaks would be super relaxing. But yes agree...the former warehouse district that existed from Lane to Peace, has been reduced to just the old Seaboard building. Quite a bit survived north of Peace...two cotton mills and the more modern Seaboard station and surrounding warehouses. On paper it'd make sense to move it north of Peace, but in reality I think the value of the Seabaord Building would be diminished up there as opposed to looming over Nash Sq. 

On 8/15/2017 at 4:30 PM, InitialD said:

Did you know that the state owns the little parking lot on the north side of Hillsborough at Salisbury, across from the state capital? That little lot would be a great place for the Seaboard Building.

I did...but it took me a very long time to realize it..I had long assumed it was part of First Baptist/Salisbury. It would be cool to add to the historic cluster there too...the State could keep using it then as well. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 4:30 PM, InitialD said:

Did you know that the state owns the little parking lot on the north side of Hillsborough at Salisbury, across from the state capital? That little lot would be a great place for the Seaboard Building.

I didn't know that.  BUt you guys are forgetting a big problem...the skyway from the Natural Sciences Museum across Salisbury to the new Nature Research Center would mean moving to that site would require going way out of the way to move three blocks up Salisbury Street...

• 2 months later...