NCFC Soccer Stadium

Green_man

Yeah I thought that was a good move. The US Soccer decided to essentially relegate NASL to tier 3 status in favor of elevating USL to tier 2 of the US soccer pyramid. USL is a real mixed bag being such a large (like 35+ teams) league that some teams are small and some draw more than NASL teams did. I do think it will be better in the short term to play more regional games against teams such as Charlotte, Charleston, and Richmond. 

Steve Malik is saying pretty much what I said somewhere on here.....Amazon and MLS are aiming at the same thing....my extrapolated thought being, our bids for each should somehow play off of the other thing possibly moving in too. I said as much to the team working on the Amazon bid, with some State property anecdotes and received an acknowledgement (auto generated email I guess) that it was read at least. 

MLS announced the four finalists for the 2 spots up for grabs now are: Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, and Sacramento.

Detroit is the big surprise considering their stadium plan is questionable and caused them to shift to propose using the Lions stadium which MLS even commented that they were disappointed by.  Seems to be MLS included them on the short list just to keep the super rich owners interested in future expansion spots.

Tough, but somewhat expected news for NCFC.  Malik has said he planned to build this stadium with or without MLS but that seems like a long shot.

1 hour ago, Green_man said:

MLS announced the four finalists for the 2 spots up for grabs now are: Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, and Sacramento.

Detroit is the big surprise considering their stadium plan is questionable and caused them to shift to propose using the Lions stadium which MLS even commented that they were disappointed by.  Seems to be MLS included them on the short list just to keep the super rich owners interested in future expansion spots.

Tough, but somewhat expected news for NCFC.  Malik has said he planned to build this stadium with or without MLS but that seems like a long shot.

I was in Cincinnati recently and stumbled upon some folks drinking post-game. Those people are absolutely nuts about FC Cincinnati. I had no idea. I got the jist they wouldn't have a problem filling an MLS stadium. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Green_man said:

Random thought... I kinda prefer the smaller more intimate stadium that DC United is building than the ambitious world-class stadium that NCFC proposed...

Smaller footprint would help blend in to an urban network/neighborhood better and allow more adjacent land for mixed-uses.

dcunited-2-27-18.jpg

Hi Green_Man

Great picture, thank you!

But surely you don’t think the stadium in this picture is smaller or intimate than the NCFC proposed stadium? They look similar in size to me...22,000 seats?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, ctl said:

About a 300x700 foot tract.  Tight fit if you want seating capacity in the 10-20,000 range.

The parking lot south of it, across Hargett and adjacent to Martin St Baptist Church, is also State owned. I imagine the credit union and adjacent parking lots to it (2 or three) could be wrapped into this in a useful way too. 

I can't predict local neighborhood reaction; they might oppose. The nearby streets are primarily residential or light retail. The only undeveloped tract nearby is the Wood Pile property south of New Bern at Seawell. No idea what Gordon Smith's intentions are.  About 3000 feet east of Moore Square in an area that doesn't have the best reputation for safety at night, so you might find people reluctant to walk from downtown. 

27 minutes ago, ctl said:

I can't predict local neighborhood reaction; they might oppose. The nearby streets are primarily residential or light retail. The only undeveloped tract nearby is the Wood Pile property south of New Bern at Seawell. No idea what Gordon Smith's intentions are.  About 3000 feet east of Moore Square in an area that doesn't have the best reputation for safety at night, so you might find people reluctant to walk from downtown. 

I live a block from the DMV and safety is not an actual issue, though perhaps a perceived one still. Neighborhood would likely be split. Anyway, stadium or not, something is up with this DMV land...if I find out anything else I'll take it to the proper thread. 

15 hours ago, Jones_ said:

I live a block from the DMV and safety is not an actual issue, though perhaps a perceived one still. 

My sons went to Hunter, and I never worried about the neighborhood. But at night other parents did, not to mention the folks who never considered the magnets.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From:  https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article228029674.html

Malik, in an interview with Spectrum News, said that he and Kane have 40 acres south of downtown “under control” for a potentially massive redevelopment, which could bring a Major League Soccer stadium, hotels and other amenities to a part of town that is starting to see a wave of investment.

Kane, in an email, said he couldn’t disclose the exact location of the 40 acres yet, but did note that it was within the Raleigh beltline — an indication that it is likely close to downtown somewhere along the South Saunders Street corridor.

Alright smart people, where are those 40 acres?  Time to bust out IMAPS.

• Like 2

Penmarc and Cargill are both not near 40 acres without cutting into lots of existing stuff. At Penmarc that would mean really pushing up into the neighborhood of existing mill houses or crossing Saunders St somehow. You can easily eyeball this by knowing that a standard downtown square block is exactly 4 acres. Cargill all the way to Hammond gets closer to 40 acres. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 10:59 PM, Jones_ said:

Penmarc and Cargill are both not near 40 acres without cutting into lots of existing stuff. At Penmarc that would mean really pushing up into the neighborhood of existing mill houses or crossing Saunders St somehow. You can easily eyeball this by knowing that a standard downtown square block is exactly 4 acres. Cargill all the way to Hammond gets closer to 40 acres. 

Penmarc is 44 acres.  Although, 9-10 of that is wooded land around the greenway, but looks to technically be a part of the parcels.

10 hours ago, Green_man said:

Penmarc is 44 acres.  Although, 9-10 of that is wooded land around the greenway, but looks to technically be a part of the parcels.

Gotcha. I excluded that because I assumed it was excluded from development as protected wetlands or Neuse buffer rules. 

• 2 weeks later...

A large swath of land in southeast Raleigh that includes a big open field appears to be at the center of an effort to put a soccer facility in downtown – and eventually land at Major League Soccer team.

Industry sources told Triangle Business Journal that a plan by North Carolina Football Club owner Steve Malik and Kane Realty CEO John Kane to build a new stadium with a mixed-use project is targeting a large block of land just inside the Beltline and off South Saunders Street.

The land is actually a series of parcels, much of which is undeveloped, that are owned by Marion and Alice Penny.

There are 14 different parcels of land, adding up to 39.48 acres with a tax value of $9.5 million.

Malik, the owner of NCFC, joined with Kane in outlining a new plan for a soccer stadium at a March 14 meeting before a large group of local leaders at the North Carolina Museum of Art.

Back in 2017, Malik had proposed a stadium near the North Carolina Legislative Building on Peace Street. But that proposal never gained traction.

So Malik and Kane said they wanted to put the stadium on 40 acres in southeast Raleigh. Malik said the stadium would take up about 10 acres, leaving 30 acres for development.

"The difference today is we have over 40 acres in an Opportunity Zone in southeast Raleigh and can commit to a much large development," he said then.

Opportunity Zones were created in the 2017 changes in the tax codes to spur investment in underserved areas.

Kane and Malik did not pinpoint the exact location, but industry sources told TBJ the group has targeted land is the group owned by the Pennys. Marion Penny died in May 2018 at the age of 90.

Alice Penny did not return an email or call for this story. Kane did not return an email seeking comment. Malik has said he is not ready to announce the location.

The NCFC is seeking more than $300 million to fund an MLS stadium that would be a mixed-use project developed by Kane Realty. NCFC is asking for $11 million per year for 30 years, beginning in the fiscal year 2022. The arena itself would cost around $150 million. Malik is still seeking an MLS expansion franchise, which is now committed to 27 teams and has one more to add. The Triangle is considered a long-shot for the 28th slot.

The MLS could, of course, decide to expand further in the future, and NCFC is confident that Raleigh, with a stadium in place, will land a team eventually.

The soccer stadium bid is one of many groups seeking monies from the Interlocal Agreement, which is currently evaluating bids. Among the other bidders are the Centennial Authority, which manages PNC Arena; a, a proposed sports complex in Cary; Marbles Kids Museum; the North Carolina Museum of Art and a proposed sports facility in downtown Raleigh that would be a home for St. Augustine's and Shaw universities as well as others.

PNC Arena, which opened in 1999, is seeking major upgrades to make it more viable for concerts and events and for Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon to continue to grow attendance.

Merritt put the costs for proposed upgrades in the range of $168 million to $221 million.

Ultimately, the city and county managers make recommendations to the Raleigh City Council and to the Wake County Commissioners, weighing both the impact of the asks and whether those fully meet the requirements for funding. Then the council members and commissioners will have to find consensus on where the dollars will go.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/04/01/confirmed-soccer-bid-targets-patch-of-se-raleigh.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_RA&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5ca2b41b9ebbef00011e49c7&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

• Like 1

What does everyone think about this location for a sports venue? I would love for downtown to have something where you could go out for food or drink and catch a game. This is close to downtown but not really walkable. So is it really that much different from something being further out?