Green_man

NCFC Soccer Stadium

Recommended Posts

Yeah I thought that was a good move. The US Soccer decided to essentially relegate NASL to tier 3 status in favor of elevating USL to tier 2 of the US soccer pyramid. USL is a real mixed bag being such a large (like 35+ teams) league that some teams are small and some draw more than NASL teams did. I do think it will be better in the short term to play more regional games against teams such as Charlotte, Charleston, and Richmond. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Steve Malik is saying pretty much what I said somewhere on here.....Amazon and MLS are aiming at the same thing....my extrapolated thought being, our bids for each should somehow play off of the other thing possibly moving in too. I said as much to the team working on the Amazon bid, with some State property anecdotes and received an acknowledgement (auto generated email I guess) that it was read at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.  The Chicago bid for Amazon added a 20,000 seat soccer stadium to their site as well.  However their stadium would be for the Division 2 league USL and not the current MLS team in the suburbs.  Kinda odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MLS announced the four finalists for the 2 spots up for grabs now are: Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, and Sacramento.

Detroit is the big surprise considering their stadium plan is questionable and caused them to shift to propose using the Lions stadium which MLS even commented that they were disappointed by.  Seems to be MLS included them on the short list just to keep the super rich owners interested in future expansion spots.

Tough, but somewhat expected news for NCFC.  Malik has said he planned to build this stadium with or without MLS but that seems like a long shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Green_man said:

MLS announced the four finalists for the 2 spots up for grabs now are: Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, and Sacramento.

Detroit is the big surprise considering their stadium plan is questionable and caused them to shift to propose using the Lions stadium which MLS even commented that they were disappointed by.  Seems to be MLS included them on the short list just to keep the super rich owners interested in future expansion spots.

Tough, but somewhat expected news for NCFC.  Malik has said he planned to build this stadium with or without MLS but that seems like a long shot.

I was in Cincinnati recently and stumbled upon some folks drinking post-game. Those people are absolutely nuts about FC Cincinnati. I had no idea. I got the jist they wouldn't have a problem filling an MLS stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random thought... I kinda prefer the smaller more intimate stadium that DC United is building than the ambitious world-class stadium that NCFC proposed...

Smaller footprint would help blend in to an urban network/neighborhood better and allow more adjacent land for mixed-uses.

dcunited-2-27-18.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Green_man said:

Random thought... I kinda prefer the smaller more intimate stadium that DC United is building than the ambitious world-class stadium that NCFC proposed...

Smaller footprint would help blend in to an urban network/neighborhood better and allow more adjacent land for mixed-uses.

dcunited-2-27-18.jpg

Hi Green_Man

Great picture, thank you!

But surely you don’t think the stadium in this picture is smaller or intimate than the NCFC proposed stadium? They look similar in size to me...22,000 seats?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be a stretch but the new NC budget has a provision that kicks DMV off its New Bern Ave campus by 2020. Seems out of the blue to me. Do Y’all think a stadium could fit there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About a 300x700 foot tract.  Tight fit if you want seating capacity in the 10-20,000 range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ctl said:

About a 300x700 foot tract.  Tight fit if you want seating capacity in the 10-20,000 range.

The parking lot south of it, across Hargett and adjacent to Martin St Baptist Church, is also State owned. I imagine the credit union and adjacent parking lots to it (2 or three) could be wrapped into this in a useful way too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't predict local neighborhood reaction; they might oppose. The nearby streets are primarily residential or light retail. The only undeveloped tract nearby is the Wood Pile property south of New Bern at Seawell. No idea what Gordon Smith's intentions are.  About 3000 feet east of Moore Square in an area that doesn't have the best reputation for safety at night, so you might find people reluctant to walk from downtown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Bern DMV site is too small.  Just my guess, the old Cargill site is the backup site for the stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ctl said:

I can't predict local neighborhood reaction; they might oppose. The nearby streets are primarily residential or light retail. The only undeveloped tract nearby is the Wood Pile property south of New Bern at Seawell. No idea what Gordon Smith's intentions are.  About 3000 feet east of Moore Square in an area that doesn't have the best reputation for safety at night, so you might find people reluctant to walk from downtown. 

I live a block from the DMV and safety is not an actual issue, though perhaps a perceived one still. Neighborhood would likely be split. Anyway, stadium or not, something is up with this DMV land...if I find out anything else I'll take it to the proper thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jones_ said:

I live a block from the DMV and safety is not an actual issue, though perhaps a perceived one still. 

My sons went to Hunter, and I never worried about the neighborhood. But at night other parents did, not to mention the folks who never considered the magnets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.