NCFC Soccer Stadium

Green_man

And by way of Maywood, a direct shot to Dix Park. Too bad this all can't be finagled into some sort of entertainment/recreation axis. Maywood does have a bike lane now. I can imagine bike shares ripping along from the Park to a game and back using both the greenway and Maywood. Fill in the light industrial stuff off Maywood with more stuff like Trophy and you start to get to this somewhat. 

• Like 1

I remember seeing the idea that, were this to be developed into a stadium, R-Line route could be extended down from downtown to help with game day crowds. In any case, I think access would be better than it currently is trying to get to the NCFC stadium in Cary. Literally anything would be an improvement on that. 

Also, what about the possibility of extending Centennial Parkway to connect to Saunders?

Edited by InitialD
  • Like 2

Every work day I walk .5 miles from Penn Station to my office in Flat Iron. Walking a similar distance to a sporting event should not be that big of a deal. Downtown will continue to grow southward. In 1912 when they built Fenway it was not in the heart of Boston. I am looking forward to seeing the plan!

• Like 1

People attending PNC Arena who park east of Youth Center Drive are already walking half a mile.  That said, I'm curious what parking arrangements would be made for disabled persons. PNC is really good for people with disabilities. 

Edited by ctl

On 4/10/2019 at 10:58 AM, InitialD said:

I remember seeing the idea that, were this to be developed into a stadium, R-Line route could be extended down from downtown to help with game day crowds. In any case, I think access would be better than it currently is trying to get to the NCFC stadium in Cary. Literally anything would be an improvement on that. 

Also, what about the possibility of extending Centennial Parkway to connect to Saunders?

I think you mean just connect Centennial to Maywood...? Not sure how that no brainer did't happen. 

• 1 month later...

PNC is in the worst location of all locations in the history of sports.   sit in traffic forever only to arrive to an enormous parking lot in the middle of nowhere with absolutely nothing there but an empty football stadium.   at least when the light rail opens things should work better, right?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ctl said:

PNC is just fine for many of us. And if you go to lots of games there, you know which roads to take. There's never a backup the way I go. 

I haven't been since the tunnel was installed. Any idea if that is helping?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, BullDurhamer said:

PNC is in the worst location of all locations in the history of sports.   sit in traffic forever only to arrive to an enormous parking lot in the middle of nowhere with absolutely nothing there but an empty football stadium.   at least when the light rail opens things should work better, right?

PNC Arena is an excellent, centrally-located facility that

• can hold events without being a nuisance to old nearby neighborhoods,
  • provides parking that isn't in grossly expensive parking structures,
  • offers an easily accessible ticket office during work days,
  • can expand without affecting neighborhoods,
  • does not present a giant vacuole in the fabric of a downtown,
  • serves the handicapped and media well,
  • provides the owner land to stage certain events without begging the city for permission,
  • provides tailgating experience superior to (and cheaper than) one in a parking garage or private establishment, and
  • is a facility where women feel safe going to events at night. Light rail will never be a factor as self-driving low-occupancy vehicles are the future of transportation.

I really haven't had an extraordinarily difficult time moving in or out of the facility (coming from West Raleigh). There are changes I would make to the traffic design, of course, but it sounds like you are trying the I-40 West + Wade Ave + Edwards Mill way in, which is usually the slowest way to get there.

I don't disagree with some of the perks of a downtown facility you value, but there are good aspects a facility designed this way. No one design is clearly superior, as we've seen cities constantly switch between models through the years. There are plenty of successful businesses that are in a parking lot in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 3

Honestly PNC isnt terrible, but:

An urban Arena would replace tailgating culture with going to bars/restaurants before the game. I'd say that's pretty much six to the half dozen.

Self driving low occupancy may be a big part of the future of transportation, at suburban densities and below. Not gonna work at real city density, which I presume most people here on this board haven't given up on for Raleigh. It will likely cause a lot *more* driving and make congestion dramatically worse, by eliminating the biggest disincentive to driving, which is that driving, especially in cities, sucks.

• Like 1

I think the first place autonomous vehicles will show up and be allowed to run is interstates. No obstacles at all. For safety reasons, that's where they are most needed too. Keep everyone moving at the speed limit, eliminate passing and such, and it'll function like a train more or less. When you get to your exit, the human has to take over and do the things that cannot be programmed in, like back up to the roof so I can clean the gutters, or whatever. On a side note, I wonder of the shine will come off this whole idea if folks knew they'd be forced to obey all the traffic laws all of a sudden..that seems like an obvious 'concession' to being allowed to operate one. 

1 hour ago, Jones_ said:

I think the first place autonomous vehicles will show up and be allowed to run is interstates. No obstacles at all. For safety reasons, that's where they are most needed too. Keep everyone moving at the speed limit, eliminate passing and such, and it'll function like a train more or less. When you get to your exit, the human has to take over and do the things that cannot be programmed in, like back up to the roof so I can clean the gutters, or whatever. On a side note, I wonder of the shine will come off this whole idea if folks knew they'd be forced to obey all the traffic laws all of a sudden..that seems like an obvious 'concession' to being allowed to operate one. 

If driving is that boring or frustrating, take the bus.  Half-autonomous systems won't work as long as our roads are designed to be non-autonomous.

22 hours ago, nicholas said:

If driving is that boring or frustrating, take the bus.  Half-autonomous systems won't work as long as our roads are designed to be non-autonomous.

To be clear I am not a fan boi of autonomous vehicles and the 'they are the future' stuff is massively overstated. If anything, I am meeting those folks halfway by saying, at best, straightforwards applications, where roads are easily read and route starting and ending points are easily identified, is the best you'll see for a good long while. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Plans now call for a 20,000 person soccer stadium.  Master plan for the whole downtown south will be headed by an international architecture  group 10 Design. This is there first US project, they mainly work on projects in China, SEA, and Europe. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/08/27/biz-new-designs-out-for-raleighs-downtown-south.html

• Like 4

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this could be the North Hills of the south side especially since Kane is involved.  I hope the dirt stars flying and if anyone can do it, it would be Kane

That's why he was pulled into this project. He makes things happen.

Maybe they will eventually name this development South Hills? Wouldn't that be cool for Raleigh.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 4