Sign in to follow this  
RALNATIVE

Raleigh's Prominence in Domestic and International Commerce

On a flight today from Europe to Montreal on Air Canada, I noticed that Raleigh was displayed on the flight map in bold, along with Boston, New York, and Atlanta, on the eastern seaboard. While this may mean very little, it got me to thinking about how Raleigh is perceived domestically and internationally in terms of commerce. Is the city seen as having arrived as an economic powerhouse in the east, or is it seen as making strides towards becoming a major economic engine in the US.

I'd love to hear what others think on this topic.

IMG_0121.jpg

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1

Wow very interesting. Though idk that it means a ton, it definitely says something! Especially for a European flight to Canada to have those cities highlighted. If nothing else i think it says were starting to get recognized globally as an up and coming city period not just for the southern united states.

Give IBM credit for putting Raleigh and the Triangle on the international map. Although RTP had been in operation prior to IBM's arrival and had had some successes, two things made IBM RTP special. First, IBM dominated a global market. Second, IBM assigned much of the responsibility for its data communication products to RTP. The combination of computing and data communications really took off in the 1970s. This is not to downplay the role of the pharmaceutical companies in RTP or the Triangle businesses and entities not in RTP (e.g. the universities), but in my mind IBM was the breakout factor. And no, I have never worked for them.

I think that map may be dynamically generated choosing cities that are as close together as possible while avoiding overlapping names. Washington, DC is to close and would crowd New York.

10 minutes ago, orulz said:

I think that map may be dynamically generated choosing cities that are as close together as possible while avoiding overlapping names. Washington, DC is to close and would crowd New York.

Killjoy :-p

21 minutes ago, orulz said:

Nevertheless other cities like Philadelphia and Charlotte could/should have been on the map, but they aren't. Obviously there is some level of interest in Raleigh as a destination and not just a placeholder on maps.

Given the space thing, they map makers still could have chosen cities like Richmond, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, and Charlotte with adequate space to not crowd Atlanta and New York. That they chose Raleigh probably does mean something.

2 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Given the space thing, they map makers still could have chosen cities like Richmond, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, and Charlotte with adequate space to not crowd Atlanta and New York. That they chose Raleigh probably does mean something.

That's my suspicion as well. I've also seen Raleigh displayed on other maps when other key cities in the SE were not.

I distinctly recall hearing on the news over 20 years ago that plans were underway to turn Raleigh into a power city. I don't remember the specifics, but the goal was for Raleigh to become an economic driver not only for the southeast, but the entire country. As I look at things progressing, this seems to be kicking into high gear.

Edited by RALNATIVE