The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

59 minutes ago, cltcane said:

I really hope someone rethinks the color.  This is one instance where I would rather have good ol’ Charlotte beige.  33 floors of mustard yellow EFIS is basically my worst nightmare.

I would not worry too much about a virtual color.  You'll probably be dead before it is built unless you're a teenager. 

Hope i am wrong.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Marketing flyer for retail space on Market 42 tower.  I like how they mark the Levine land as Proposed  redevelopment.  I forget is that yellow color really going to be on the tower or not? 

https://www.foundrycommercial.com/core/fileparse.php/2530/urlt/Market-42-Flyer_E_20180518.pdf

I think that this will turn out pretty well.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I see more of an ocre, which is a horse of an entirely different color.

Still a hideous accent color for a high-rise, especially when it’s painted on cheap building materials.  I have zero confidence this will turn out well.  I like the (current) height of the tower and the too-small amount of retail space facing the park but almost nothing else about this project.  Plus we all know there’s a very good chance this thing gets value-engineered.

1 minute ago, cltcane said:

Still a hideous accent color for a high-rise, especially when it’s painted on cheap building materials.  I have zero confidence this will turn out well.  I like the (current) height of the tower and the too-small amount of retail space facing the park but almost nothing else about this project.  Plus we all know there’s a very good chance this thing gets value-engineered.

Turned out nice here, but this is glazed brick, not EIFS

Edit: on another note EIFS is very absent in all NYC development.

e5727c3de8a2ba0ff23eb1479e8f337a.jpg

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Turned out nice here, but this is glazed brick, not EIFS

Edit: on another note EIFS is very absent in all NYC development.

e5727c3de8a2ba0ff23eb1479e8f337a.jpg

NYC probably enforces storm water runoff.  From what I can see around here, whenever they shave the stuff in order to prep it,  the little grains drift all over, eventually washing into our creeks. In another thread someone mentioned fines for dust. There ought to be hardy fines for EIFS as well. It doesn't just disappear.  There's one project in Midtown that coated my car in a matter of minutes. There are still little drifts of it in parking lots.

Edited by Windsurfer
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's great news if this is glazed brick and not EIFS.  Styrofoam floating around is really frustrating to see, but it is also an ugly result and I can't imagine that it is has a long lifespan compared to other materials.    Seems like a major problem for the city of Charlotte years from now.    

I'm happy with some interesting color.   Anything non-neutral will not be universally liked, but at least it is something.  I see goldenrod like the paper color my teachers used to use for important print outs. 

1 minute ago, dubone said:

That's great news if this is glazed brick and not EIFS.  Styrofoam floating around is really frustrating to see, but it is also an ugly result and I can't imagine that it is has a long lifespan compared to other materials.    Seems like a major problem for the city of Charlotte years from now.    

I think he was talking about the building he shared a pic of, not Market 42.

1 minute ago, Hunted said:

I think he was talking about the building he shared a pic of, not Market 42.

Oh.   Sigh.   I should have known for Charlotte.    Our development policies seem to categorize EIFS with masonry, so it has become the loophole in the part of the standards that seem to be calling for higher quality materials.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dubone said:

Oh.   Sigh.   I should have known for Charlotte.    Our development policies seem to categorize EIFS with masonry, so it has become the loophole in the part of the standards that seem to be calling for higher quality materials.   

the new TOD-A allows only 25% EIFS coverage.

I like this design also.  Seems kind of funny that we all complain about boring designs using only blue glass and beige and then we complain when they use a small amount of yellow to accent a building.  I've seen this color on tall buildings (San Diego specifically) and it looks great.  

• Like 2

I totally get the sentiment against it; project materials seem to dictate how a project's colors turn out.

Now, at this rate, along with the UNCC building, First Ward could end up being the most architecturally-divisive ward of them all... given the rest of Charlotte's new development, Isay bring that scenario on!

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I totally get the sentiment against it; matwrials seem to dictate how colors turn out.

At this rate, along with the UNCC building, first ward could be the most architecturally-divisive ward of them all... I say bring it on!

Agreed.  I happen to really like the UNCC building (because it's different and interesting to look at) but I know some hate it.  IMO, there are so many more hatable buildings in Uptown.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JBS said:

Agreed.  I happen to really like the UNCC building (because it's different and interesting to look at) but I know some hate it.  IMO, there are so many more hatable buildings in Uptown.

Right... I think the UNCC building is one of the most architecturally interesting buildings in uptown. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sclark said:

Right... I think the UNCC building is one of the most architecturally interesting buildings in uptown. 

The most interesting part is how someone thought that flat white wall was a good idea. I hope it gets an adjoining building soon so we can all forget that it exists.

1.jpg

35 minutes ago, JBS said:

IMO, there are so many more hatable buildings in Uptown.

There are at least 7 buildings in 2nd Ward that are MUCH more hatable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunted said:

The most interesting part is how someone thought that flat white wall was a good idea. I hope it gets an adjoining building soon so we can all forget that it exists.

1.jpg

There are at least 7 buildings in 2nd Ward that are MUCH more hatable.

There's been an office building planned for that side of the UNCC building ever since it went up. Hopefully nobody here is holding their breath for it to happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1