The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't too bad. I can't come to a conclusion as to whether I like or dislike the odd box about 3/4 of the way up. Normally I would quietly grumble about the midrise portion being uptown, but having pedestrian scale development along Market will help make that street more inviting. I think this one is another example where the materials will make or break it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

This isn't too bad. I can't come to a conclusion as to whether I like or dislike the odd box about 3/4 of the way up. Normally I would quietly grumble about the midrise portion being uptown, but having pedestrian scale development along Market will help make that street more inviting. I think this one is another example where the materials will make or break it. 

I don't mind the overall design aesthetic, but after reading all the materials documents, I think they will BREAK this project. An inventive and interesting colorway might be the only thing that can save this project. Oh and if the retail is good, and the hotel is new to market.

2 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

So it's basically just a stock 6-story midrise that's had the "extend" command run on it. 

if the white portion of the high rise is a glossy white set against some darker colors, and then a strong color is used to accent certain areas, I think it could be a really cool building in some lights. Lennar has put together some nice buildings, I hope we see a "CGI" rendering soon, vs. these google sketchup style renderings.

Honestly, I love the design of this tower, the colors (with the yellow/gray combo,) the texture created by offset windows, and the height is a nice addition to extend the skyline without sticking out like The Vue does. The rando box is a bit awkward, but otherwise I can dig it. I wish this project only took up half of this lot as I don’t see a need for THAT long of a midrise section.

• Like 2

Those 4 random street level apartments on 8th Street should be retail.  Dumb.  

The College St. side looks extremely fat and ultimately stumpy because of that from that angle.

EIFS is will ruin this, but will depend on how/where used in the three colors see in these renderings.  Color plate will be extremely important.

At the moment I'm at a 5/10 for this.  End product may move me to a 7 or a 4.  Cautiously disappointed with upside potential maybe

1 minute ago, navigator319 said:

The College St. side looks extremely fat and ultimately stumpy because of that from that angle.

EIFS is will ruin this, but will depend on how/where used in the three colors see in these renderings.  Color plate will be extremely important.

At the moment I'm at a 5/10 for this.  End product may move me to a 7 or a 4.  Cautiously disappointed with upside potential maybe

1 minute ago, navigator319 said:

I think if the portions that aren't currently white in the rendering were glass curtain with the offsetting panes it'd be much more effective.

I’m always grateful for new towers, but This is my least favorite new project. 

Pros: seems to have decent retail. It’s better than a parking lot. It’s development, and will thicken the mini skyline near Odell/ Skyhouse. From the airport or any west/southwest view, it would probably help fill in the gap between the Vue, and the rest of the skyline. It’s pretty tall. 

Cons: super uninspired, copy and paste design. I’ll echo that hopefully the color scheme will make it pop. I prefer Tryon Place over this. 

Edited by Jordan84

Just now, Cadi40 said:

They are Opening many new hotels around the country but West Elm has been slated for a Charlotte hotel for about a year without any movement. Last time I heard it was going in the Design center but I don’t know anything about it.

It fell through at the design center. I don't think things were moving quickly enough for them. They are exploring another location in the Gold District.

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It fell through at the design center. I don't think things were moving quickly enough for them. They are exploring another location in the Gold District.

Much better location for that type hotel in my opinion. I hope the Gold District really lives to the hype and is filled with cool shops and markets. 

• Like 1