The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, easzman said:

What's the story behind the garage next door that hasn't opened yet? There has not been any activity in months and a lane has been blocked off on 11th street for forever.

It's actually a really cool project if it ever comes to fruition.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article209096824.html

10thStreetRender.jpeg.c91b903ddfc6801e25f66d3c120d0bd9.jpeg

It's been "under construction" for about four years. 11 floors of apartments wrapping that mammoth garage entirely.

It's kind of a touchy subject to people on here because of the immense eyesore it is from certain skyline angles and just the principal of it being closed off and no work being done for so long. For example, it was getting "restarted" LAST April (per that observer article) and essentially accomplished diddly squat since then.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the thing with the Levine garage that really bothers me is that any other developer in town would be rounded criticized and fined more than likely for the same behavior.  Is there a structural problem with the garage and if so fix it or tear it down.   That happened with a hotel on Harris Blvd near Northlake it was torn down and started over. 

Think what has happened on the Legacy blocks with Lincoln Harris in the same time frame.  The Charlotte Observer  building was wiped off the map, a 33 story office tower is getting ready to open as well as a huge parking garage which by the way will be lined with retail.  Street lane closures on S Church have disappeared (noticed that today) and a new 18 story office tower is rising and soon a 23 story Honeywell tower.  If they don't have the money to continue development at the Levine garage sell it to a developer who can build and finish it. 

Where is the city of Charlotte and where is the state of NC which promised to pay for some of the parking?  Hello please Charlotte Ledger do a story about this insanity as no one else in the city's media market seems willing to do.    

fired up KJ

RED FONT = The good font

• Haha 3

It's actually a really cool project if it ever comes to fruition.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article209096824.html

10thStreetRender.jpeg.c91b903ddfc6801e25f66d3c120d0bd9.jpeg&key=3607f1e057baa565b128bd4177d9ccd5c35bd3aba148dbff60ebce281dac16f5

It's been "under construction" for about four years. 11 floors of apartments wrapping that mammoth garage entirely.

It's kind of a touchy subject to people on here because of the immense eyesore it is from certain skyline angles and just the principal of it being closed off and no work being done for so long. For example, it was getting "restarted" LAST April (per that observer article) and essentially accomplished diddly squat since then.

You’re Giving it too much credit saying “really cool.” It’s a perfectly reasonable project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone - been following this thread for a while checking in, but haven’t signed up to UP. Just thought I’d chime in since this project seems to be “the girl that got away” on this forum, and I have the reconnaissance. Haha. I heard directly from Levine a few months back (while sipping coffee at Subsecreto (RIP)) that after the redesign in April, they discovered there was a foundational issue. It isn’t level. The building must be torn down. He’s seeing if there is any possible thing they can do. But it is very unlikely. They’ve been in negotiation with the insurance company and the construction company. Not gonna tear it down unless they know their asses are covered. Understandably - It’s at minimum a 9 million dollar loss. That’s why this is taking forever.

(Also want to add, I heard this at the start of the year. Not sure if anything has changed since then.)

I talked to the architect a month ago, I would have thought he’d have mentioned that. But maybe not. I’ll ask, but if true, damn, that’s a reputation killing misstep for the GC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/5/2019 at 7:56 PM, KJHburg said:

Where is the city of Charlotte and where is the state of NC which promised to pay for some of the parking?  Hello please Charlotte Ledger do a story about this insanity as no one else in the city's media market seems willing to do.    

fired up KJ

Ask and ye shall receive. Latest from the Charlotte Ledger:

The delay has more to do with the 10th Street Apartments that will wrap around the parking structure. We were originally under construction with a six-story, 224-unit wood frame project and made the strategic decision to cancel that project and instead design a concrete frame building of 12 stories with 410+ units. Ground floor retail space will now total 7,000 SF.

• Like 2

So here’s the rub:

No timetable:   Levine Properties declined to offer a new timetable for completion of the project***. In April 2018, developer Daniel Levine told the Observer that the building should be complete by “early 2020,” which now seems impossible.

(Emphasis mine)

***Anyone want to start placing bets that this thing gets done before 2022? 

Still glad to see that we at least have a somewhat reasonable response on the delays. My only question, is that why would you wait this long to make this known?!?!?

thanks for sharing Vitamin_N!

A2

Edited by A2.
  • Like 1

Lastly if we were fortunate to have these two red circles developed with Levine and BV, I would be a truly happy camper. Those two parcels would drastically change the landscape inside of 277 and create an Urban core that would be the envy of many.

A2

FFE98190-99ED-497B-9C6E-A9603903C6A4.jpeg

Edited by A2.
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

Ask and ye shall receive. Latest from the Charlotte Ledger:

The delay has more to do with the 10th Street Apartments that will wrap around the parking structure. We were originally under construction with a six-story, 224-unit wood frame project and made the strategic decision to cancel that project and instead design a concrete frame building of 12 stories with 410+ units. Ground floor retail space will now total 7,000 SF.

The Ledger is an avid reader of UP. Hi Tony! 

I saw this article from the Ledger this morning whilst eating my Krispy Kreme doughnut and having my coffee in Augusta.  I applaud and thank them for making some calls.  While I believe the accuracy of the story not sure I still believe the source which is Mr Levine himself.   My additional questions would be does he have financing in place for these apartments?   I still don't understand why the garage could have not been opened in the meantime thus generating revenue.   However big thanks to Ledger for doing some investigative reporting!   I understand a redesign but that has taken at least a year from my memory.  As for the workers please if anyone sees some get a photo.  

I can only hope this project the apartments 12 stories tall comes to fruition.   As for the Ledger please tell me where to deliver the dozen of the best sweet doughnuts in the world. 

• Like 4