The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I still actually think that the Ellis is an interesting design. Maybe not the most elegant but certainly not ugly. And adding some different styles to the skyline is a plus.

The massive positive effect that it will continue to have for the neighborhood development can't be forgotten either. 

As far as buildings go, the Ellis is certainly not the ugliestThis monstrosity in Boston, for example, blows the Ellis out of the water in the ugly competition imo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Heard yet another damning review of life in the Ellis today. Someone moved here from DC and wanted to be downtown.  She leased the Ellis.  She hated the building, how it’s run, and the surrounding area,  but didn’t know any better coming from DC.  She’s in South End and enjoying it.

A separate observer spent 6 years in Uptown.  For much of that time, he was in sky bridge. He remarked on Uptown’s precipitous decline and tenuous safety, and now lives in south end.

Unclear to me if we’re at the start of an Uptown turnaround, but the reviews of North Tryon haven’t been good, and don’t appear to be getting better with the Ellis.

The north side of uptown needs a grocery store and not that horrible express HT either.  It also needs more condos/apartments and more retail activity overall.  It’s like a desert over there 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I used to always want to live uptown, I briefly lived at Catalyst. I did not enjoy living uptown much. My friends lived in NoDa mostly and everyone preferred their places. I have seen many people very pleased with NoDa and SouthEnd and meh reviews on uptown. Particularly in the last 5 years. The one area I've actually heard good reviews about were ironically in the Gateway Area and along Graham.

When your only experience in uptown is going on game days or work or special events. Uptown seems full of energy, etc. When I lived there, it mostly felt isolating, sterile, lack of energy. Even the 'burbs in Ballantyne literally (with all the families and such) had more life or energy. I know that's a hot take and people may disagree but. For me - Uptown is depressing and lonely to live in, NoDa and SouthEnd (of the urban hoods) are full of life and energy to me. I'll take living in a single family home in Southpark or Ballantyne and enjoy the neighborhood/regional parks and shopping centers over living uptown again. Below summarizes how it felt to me to live at Catalyst outside of special events or work hours:

image.thumb.png.2350806145483d61ff678ba04bb11e14.png

image.thumb.png.4214d12fe5f0ffadc2f705eca75b5fd8.png

image.thumb.png.28a98384332910cd9e6ee5d2d2e2eaa1.png

I know there are some former and current residents who disagree (I would've been happier in Gateway area TBH or along Graham) but my personal experience as a resident, my criticisms were always based in what contributes more to my neighborhood. What were we lacking? Families. Schools. Daycare. Normal every-day things (shopping, restaurants that aren't meant for Happy Hour or High School proms - Ruth Chris, Capital Grille, Fogo de Chao, etc.), regular Charlotteans, etc. Before I was a resident, I was super excited for any highrise really, when I was a resident is when I became concerned with the ground level experience and uses. I would live almost anywhere in Charlotte but Uptown. With a car because most of my life is spent doing every-day type of things. Shopping, eating out, etc. 

What a take.... These photos do NOT represent Uptown.

There has been a down trend since covid, but the trend is slowly reversing. Sure, there's plenty of work that needs to be done. Especially around safety.  North Tryon has it's issues and crime has been an issue for every major metro.

That said, continuously degrading Uptown is growing old. We should be cheering it on in an effort to create a harmonious city. Especially the economic core of it.  

I encourage you to take a stroll through Fourth Ward if you're looking for families and normal every-day things,  less shopping.

FWIW... Skybridge is not Uptown. That's like saying Cadence Music Factory is in Uptown. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

What a take.... These photos do NOT represent Uptown.

There has been a down trend since covid, but the trend is slowly reversing. Sure, there's plenty of work that needs to be done. Especially around safety.  North Tryon has it's issues and crime has been an issue for every major metro.

That said, continuously degrading Uptown is growing old. We should be cheering it on in an effort to create a harmonious city. Especially the economic core of it.  

I encourage you to take a stroll through Fourth Ward if you're looking for families and normal every-day things,  less shopping.

FWIW... Skybridge is not Uptown. That's like saying Cadence Music Factory is in Uptown. 

I made a note to say my experience as a resident when I used to live there and my perception before/after living uptown. I also said others may have a different experience and I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone else.

But those photos definitely summed up my experience living in Catalyst outside of game days and work. and Misc. events. MLK is how I got to Light Rail, Mint St. is how I got to Frazier Park/Irwin Creek Greenway, 

I do think 4th ward and Gateway feels better. But the red area is just not for me to live in. I don't mean that to be degrading. I think uptown's strength is being a strong office place, a place for central events, a place to host events and I'd walk past DEC often so those very much were my typical routings... I'd love Settler's Cemetery, taking Church St. to Settler's isn't that charming neither. Walking to Harris Teeter was alright... Lots of places in Charlotte I've preferred more. 

If other people are happy with the uptown neighborhood as a place of urban living and being a full blown neighborhood and having neighborhood pride, etc. that makes me happy for my hometown, so. And it's not pleasant saying anything critical of anything relating to CLT on here, so lol. I take no joy in saying, uptown outside of towards Frazier Park and 4th Ward can be sterile and depressing outside of game days, work hours or special events - especially off of Tryon St.

image.thumb.png.60a3f7cf73a09fae9bc68beb8818b539.png

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2