The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, turbocraig said:

The renderings shown on page 4 of this thread show the top of the deck flush with the tops of the apartments.  Wonder why that changed. 

F5C8E98E-A1C2-4BC9-BABD-7BA79BD7BF32.jpeg

This will be like the third major project in uptown to have parking taller than residential. It’s like the top floor can just drive off on the roof of the apartments. 

1 hour ago, cltheel.sdl said:

To me, it looks like they still have one more floor of apartments to go.  So, I think the parking will be flush with the apartment roofline per the rendering.  Maybe I'm missing something here.

The rendering shows 6 floors of retail + apartments with the deck level with the top of that. The parking deck they actually built is 8 (8.5?) levels so definitely higher than the apartments. It would be cool if they're adding additional apartment floors, but I think that next "floor" is just framing for the mechanical screening. gman430's photos are great views of the deck as is.

And does anyone know what the upper level of the deck is going to be used for because it can't be accessed by cars? Amenity area, just a place for mechanical and support equipment, something else? It isn't in the renderings.

ellisdeck.png

Edited by TCLT
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 2:29 PM, TCLT said:

The rendering shows 6 floors of retail + apartments with the deck level with the top of that. The parking deck they actually built is 8 (8.5?) levels so definitely higher than the apartments. It would be cool if they're adding additional apartment floors, but I think that next "floor" is just framing for the mechanical screening. gman430's photos are great views of the deck as is.

And does anyone know what the upper level of the deck is going to be used for because it can't be accessed by cars? Amenity area, just a place for mechanical and support equipment, something else? It isn't in the renderings.

ellisdeck.png

I think you cant actually add an apartment floor. 6 is max when it’s an all wood frame. It would have to be steel or concrete by law I believe to go higher than 6 floors. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Drove by The Ellis construction site this morning.   Phifer Avenue was a dense vagrant convention, pretty much in the shadows of the tower under development.   Def not for me, but I’m sure there’s a market for it out there.

North Tryon is going to have a lot of challenges for a while, no doubt.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:16 PM, j-man said:

I think you cant actually add an apartment floor. 6 is max when it’s an all wood frame. It would have to be steel or concrete by law I believe to go higher than 6 floors. 

I agree with your statement.  I had thought that 5 floors was the max permissible for wood framed apartments but if you look at the Spacing of the Floor Trusses it’s possible that they are adding an additional floor of apartments on that side.  Maybe Lennar bumped up the number of apartments for this project?  Gonna take closer look at the Southside photos @gman430 provided.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

8 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I agree with your statement.  I had thought that 5 floors was the max permissible for wood framed apartments but if you look at the Spacing of the Floor Trusses it’s most certain that they are adding an additional floor of apartments on that side.  Maybe Lennar bumped up the number of apartments for this project?

Is it possible that's simply to provide adequate strength to support the air conditioning units and other equipment getting put on the roof? I'm definitely not familiar with construction design and methods, just trying to understand what about the structure suggests it's for another floor.

7 minutes ago, TCLT said:

Is it possible that's simply to provide adequate strength to support the air conditioning units and other equipment getting put on the roof? I'm definitely not familiar with construction design and methods, just trying to understand what about the structure suggests it's for another floor.

That most certainly could be the case but if you look at the South side of the Ellis building from the photos @gman430 provided it looks like that side will be more than 5 Stories for the Apartments.  I’ve attached a marked up picture:  5 Doorways to access the Parking Deck from the Apartments on top of two (2) already constructed Levels and with one (1) higher Doorway to access the Rooftop of the Apartments for maintenance of the HVAC Systems.  

Along the north side of the building in question I’m not sure if they’ll be a 6th floor of apartments but the Southside surely looks like it will be more than 5.

3F264059-3B23-43B9-B3E4-2C3CB2DED115.jpeg

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

That most certainly could be the case but if you look at the South side of the Ellis building from the photos @gman430 provided it looks like that side will be more than 5 Stories for the Apartments.  I’ve attached a marked up picture:  5 Doorways to access the Parking Deck from the Apartments on top of two (2) already constructed Levels and with one (1) higher Doorway to access the Rooftop of the Apartments for maintenance of the HVAC Systems.  

Along the north side of the building in question I’m not sure if they’ll be a 6th floor of apartments but the Southside surely looks like it will be more than 5.

3F264059-3B23-43B9-B3E4-2C3CB2DED115.jpeg

That looks like it'll be for roof access

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1