The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

2 hours ago, a2theb said:

Is the worksite back open yet?

Yes, work is underway this morning (Wednesday, June 10th) on The Ellis, the 33 story residential tower, as well as the 6-story midrise apartments.  However, work on the Homewood Suites Hotel is temporarily in abeyance.

Edited by QCxpat
Error - changed Fairfield Suites to Homewood Suites
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

Yes, work is underway this morning (Wednesday, June 10th) on The Ellis, the 33 story residential tower, as well as the 6-story midrise apartments.  However, work on the Fairfield Suites Hotel is temporarily in abeyance.

Homewood Suites unless it's changed...

13 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

Found this  concept plan for the Ellis on the architects page for the current building. Though the charlotte skyline doesn't look like its in the right place in the background.  I like the current building but this would have been sweet!

http://ktgy.com/media/expand-2018-no-2-dreamin/

Annotation 2020-06-10 101933.png

yea they came up with a new concept, and then created a skyline to show it off in, using assets they already had from the Ellis rendering.

52 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

How much more would someone pay for concrete construction apartment compared to stick built, considering same site, same access to amenities, same location, size, and so on?

A lot more.  High rise construction is a lot more expensive than stick built but there is a growing market for those wanting High Rise Urban living.  This project is designed in a way for LMC to diversify their risk in this site by having a tremendous amount of Stick Built Apartments along with the High Rise Component.  As long as Charlotte keeps scoring Jobs and people keep moving to the City then it’s a gamble that’ll pay off big for them.  This High Rise will have the last 2 or 3 floors full of Penthouse Suites.  They’ll be takers I’m sure at some point.

Right now the Bradham Apartments (Mid Rise Stick Built) are Leasing up pretty swiftly so LMC remains bullish on Charlotte.  Definitely will see more Stick Midrise from them but I think they’ll only do another Highrise if this leases up well within 2 years of its completion date.  If not, they probably won’t do anymore in Charlotte for some time.

51 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

LMC should take over the stalled hotel site.  They have deep pockets and could get a deal I'm sure rather then what this will do to their block

I agree with you but I think it’s more a factor of the overall economic slump and how devastating it’s been for the entire Hotel Industry.  I’d be surprised if this hotel site resumes construction before this time next year.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

I was thinking more of how much more a tenant would pay for the security, fire safety, and quietness and other advantages that concrete construction offers. I suppose those issues cannot be extracted from the height and building costs, elevator costs and so on of high rise. Other things equal I would choose concrete. And I would expect to pay for my preference.

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but does anyone else think that the transmission tower between 7th and 8th has fewer transponders (?) than before?  I saw a crane there last week but did not observer what they were doing to the tower.