The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

My conspiracy theory is that Levine is holding out to see how well the Ellis does with leasing before putting any more of their own $$$ down. Why not test the market out with another firm while making some quick cash and seeing the potential for the rest of the land you own? 

This would’ve maybe been believable before he half built an apartment complex and then abandoned it lol. You also have a lot more faith in his ability to build anything than I do.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is really at this point his most obvious move to slowly parcel out pieces bit by bit as the market bears them.   I'm glad that at least he did sell to Lennar so we now have a tower and a population coming soon.   But clearly from his mess at 11th Street, his company cannot manage even the most basic of projects with a massive showstopping f up, so we can only hope he realizes this and will continue to let go of the land for others to execute on.  

You’re 100% right but if he didn’t realize that 5 years ago I’m not sure he ever will. The dude wasted the best real estate decade in charlotte’s history and sold a grand total of one parcel. His business acumen is on par with his development competence: prodigiously bad.
  • Like 2

I’m not sure what happened with his parking deck and planned apartments.
Does anyone here know what happened? I’d love to know.
Based on actions or In-actions otherwise though, I don’t think he intends to build anything. I think he wants to keep sitting on land and letting the value and price rise so that he can then just cash out on them. Perhaps maybe just save 1 parcel to eventually build on or at least finish his deck and apartments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yo Diaz! said:

I’m not sure what happened with his parking deck and planned apartments.
Does anyone here know what happened? I’d love to know.
Based on actions or In-actions otherwise though, I don’t think he intends to build anything. I think he wants to keep sitting on land and letting the value and price rise so that he can then just cash out on them. Perhaps maybe just save 1 parcel to eventually build on or at least finish his deck and apartments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, I don't think the parking garage was built to code, and as such there are structural issues that would make it unsafe to open. The original plan for the apartments wrapping the deck were scrapped as it was announced that the design was being modified. Of course there has been crickets since then. Nothing but empty promises.....

• Like 4

I'm sure there are lawsuits, and presumably that should be the construction company on the hook and not Levine's fault per se, but the fact that he has not been able to resolve it is quite serious and a major negative for the progress in this district.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

University of NC system contracted for some of those parking spaces and the answer with the Levine closure or not opening of the garage has been a graded gravel surface lot for the UNCC uptown campus.   There were plans for stick built apartments then changed for taller apartments like 7-8 stories neither which came about.  I think the city should condemn fix the garage issues if they can be and build affordable housing around the deck or the rubble thereof it.  if the garage can not repaired flattened and make it a park for the apartments. 

it was 12-15 floors, not 7-8.