The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Things off to an inauspicious start for the Ellis.  An adjacent corner riddled with bullets during the early stages of leasing?  Not good.  The uptown residential market is still thin enough (in my opinion as a core urban dweller since 2004) that the news of such incidents are profoundly impactful.  The city must own the narrative when this stuff comes up, and find ways to put it out there that such incidents are an extreme exception while also not letting it dominate a news cycle.  I wish I could get a sense for leasing activity at this project.

1 hurt after gunfire erupts in uptown Charlotte parking lot – WSOC TV

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry - but I've tried - and I still very much dislike this bldg.  I was driving around Southpark earlier today and simply couldn't imagine something like this being tolerated aesthetically in that area.  And for the person who authors this message thread who threatens to censor criticisms of this bldg because maybe it's just a real estate competitor - I work in Finance and Consulting and have nothing to do with apartments or leasing complexes.  These UP threads are full of passion and opinion, and I've shown up in enough threads to counteract any insinuation that I've some singular focus on hating the Ellis.  Ultimately, however, there's nothing we can do about this bldg, but can only hope that others are built to give it richer context.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Sorry - but I've tried - and I still very much dislike this bldg.  I was driving around Southpark earlier today and simply couldn't imagine something like this being tolerated aesthetically in that area.  And for the person who authors this message thread who threatens to censor criticisms of this bldg because maybe it's just a real estate competitor - I work in Finance and Consulting and have nothing to do with apartments or leasing complexes.  These UP threads are full of passion and opinion, and I've shown up in enough threads to counteract any insinuation that I've some singular focus on hating the Ellis.  Ultimately, however, there's nothing we can do about this bldg, but can only hope that others are built to give it richer context.

I agree. I don't like the tower portion of this, but do appreciate the ground level and possible interactions with the public along 1st Ward Park side. That said, what I don't like, others love and that is ok.  May be when the tower is surrounded by similar height towers, it will begin to blend, but for now, it sticks out, and not in a good way. 

2 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

I think one thing I've realized I hate the most about this building is the lack of screening of the elevator shaft.  They didn't even try to make it blend in with the rest of the building or otherwise screen it.

I agree. A shaft should never be exposed. Really wished they could have been able to cover it up.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I think this tower is making some people realize they really do like beige 

Not sure what you mean by "beige."  I assume boring, commonplace, blending in; context-sensitive perhaps?

Believe me, disliking this particular building has nothing to do with preferring beige.  This building just strikes me as having really cheap-looking cladding. 

It has uninspiring shades of grey (another type of boring beige) with aimless flecks of mustard yellow. 

I'm all for bold and differentiated looks and cuts and angles and uneven lines.  I've inserted an example.  Maybe no one wants to invest that in Charlotte quite yet, and that's fine, so I say just keep the building at 8-10 stories. 

But the Ellist, a 30+ story prominence just doesn't do it for me, and having to look past Levine's garage to get the glimpse of the Ellis from the North, just punctures my enthusiasm for urban Charlotte just a bit.

Residential High-Rise.jpg

Edited by RANYC

Oh, what a gift from QCExpat!

I have loved Mondrian since  learned of him in my Art Appreciation class in college. This work, Broadway Boogie Woogie, is said to have been inspired by his view from his Manhattan apartment. He looked down and the schools of yellow taxis moved with interspersed vehicles along the street. The color blocks represent the tops of building as seen from above and the traffic with colors, mostly yellow, and lights at intersections. It is a famous one. I saw a collection of his works In a DC museum (cannot remember which one) quite a while a go and it was a delight to bathe in his imagination. 

I see the connection now. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I like the Ellis tower for several reasons.  However I respect other people's opinions which may be different.  Once in this country differing opinions were treasured and encouraged now it seems it has to  be one way or the other.

But these are the reasons I like this project:

Huge number of apartments and retail space in a vast low energy underutilized area of uptown.  Kudos to LMC for having the vision of what will be in this area.  The height, the almost Jenga type design and the location that can jump start this low density area.  I think the design is good not my favorite in town but a good solid  design.  Can you see the parking garage? Nope hidden inside the block. 

And since someone mentioned Hilton Head the home of my 2nd home I will defend the town of HHI.  HHI did have bland design to fit into nature when it get started developing in the 1970s ( but not anymore)  Strong  tree ordinances, parks and land preservation plans and miles and miles of bike trails   Lot of teardowns of the 1970s style homes have happened.  Because the town of HHI has one of strongest tree ordinances in the country and has been named one of the best biking towns in the country (60 miles and counting) on a 12 mile long island by 5 miles is a model for many places.  Plus a FREE  trolley system connecting all the major resorts and activity nodes.  Lots of redevelopment of older bland shopping centers into vibrant mixed used area (Shelter Cove Towne Center) <<< end of HHI rant LOL

anyway count me a fan of the Lennar Multifamily tower The Ellis and hope it is joined by many more in the future.  This tower itself is an urban pioneer.  Photos from today. 

IMG_7633.JPG

IMG_7635.JPG

IMG_7636.JPG

IMG_7637.JPG

IMG_7638.JPG

IMG_7643.JPG

IMG_7645.JPG

IMG_7647.JPG

IMG_7651.JPG

Need to draw an important distinction here.  I'm absolutely in love with the idea of dense residential in the 1st ward.  We're probably all in agreement on the fundamental concept of what LMC is looking to do.  My only issue is with how they did it - the design and look, and most importantly, the materials of this building...and the prominence of what I think is a very cheapish look.  But I fully accept that it's just my opinion and others have the right to disagree and will disagree.  I do think our longing for 1st ward to bustle and have residents might color the lens by which we see this building.  I'd love to get someone's informed viewpoint on the quality of the materials used in the cladding of this structure.

• Like 4