The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, AnonymousCanadian said:

The Ellis is perhaps the most hideous highrise built in America this millennium. It is an embarrassment for the city of Charlotte and needs to be razed. 

The Soviet Union wouldn't have allowed such horrible architecture.

16328424669156528483261804835963.jpg

I really despise it too, but must tread delicately on this thread or you'll be absurdly accused of working for a competitor apartment developer/manager.

I'm actually floored that it's 47% leased.  I'm staying focused on the fact that it's new bodies in uptown, and sounds like the Homewood Suites is back on track to visually offset at least a corner of the Ellis.  

• Like 1

It is truly a terrible thing to ask for "quality" architecture from developers these days. The Ellis would've looked dated in 1980. Buildings like this are completely devoid of any architectural character and are simply not worth saving. 30 years from now this building might be razed for a new development simply because nobody cares about it. Just look at JPM'S new office in NYC. They tore down a building only 60 years old to build a new tower. People simply do not care about poorly designed Buildings, and the Ellis is simply a monstrosity. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

Thank you, the endless griping is tiresome. That is not what this site is for. If people hate it so much, give a constructive argument for why it sucks, because frankly, its not the greatest, but it sure as hell ain't the worst. Having toured the building numerous times, its one of the most attractive residential projects in the city from the inside, and for its amenities. From the outside... well, it looks like nothing else in Charlotte, and that is what we've been asking for.  Could it have been executed better, sure. The proportions are a little strange, but I love the pop of color, and I like the texture of top 1/5th of the building. But alas, nothing will ever be perfect in an age where people seem to think that everyone has to hear their vapid complaints.

I thought that giving opinions on developments like this is, at least partially, exactly what this site was for. FWIW, I'm fairly agnostic on this one. I love the height and density and appreciate the uniqueness. I hate the low rise portion and agree that the high rise portion could have been better executed. It will look much better when the surrounding blocks are developed. I hate it far less than this crime against architecture:

image.png.a89c4a8ccd5e10e058ae986a027f9a2e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2