The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

That's a nice unexpected plaza once the abrovitae grow up in 12 months.  Just throw in some red bistro chairs.

Plazas like this are all around East Midtown in Manhattan, and they can be amazing spaces. It's always so interesting to see such small public spaces be so vibrant and successful. Hope this space has the same potential. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DMann said:

I came across this picture during a walk through the SouthEnd last weekend.  Knowing of the things that will be joining this area I recall the time about 10 years ago that it all was a deserted or derelict part of the city.  Now it is vibrant and full of life.  True transformation.

The photo represents to me that while you either like or dislike The Ellis, it potentially will be delivering over 500 people to a block that was formerly occupied by a homeless woman named Tina.  This property is rental, and the residents will be transient probably changing at the rate of 25% a year.  All those people, all those ideas will contribute more to the building of Charlotte than a building will.

EA16C5BA-2268-44CD-ACD7-7BA44F4C81AB.png

I'm a big critic of the Ellis' aesthetics, but have always been careful to credit it for the hundreds of new residents it's bringing to Uptown.  I've even gone so far as to say that one way to avoid looking at the part of it I detest (the exterior) is to actually take up residence inside of it.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Rufus said:

Plazas like this are all around East Midtown in Manhattan, and they can be amazing spaces. It's always so interesting to see such small public spaces be so vibrant and successful. Hope this space has the same potential. 

Greenacre Park | The Cultural Landscape Foundation

That's true.  There are many pocket parks with waterfalls in Manhattan.  Greenacres Park (above) is my favorite of them.    It's very similar to Polk Park on Tryon St. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Saw lots of activity at the hotel site today. All I want them to do is release a better rendering of the hotel because I know they have to have one. Im sure they are not looking at that terrible pixilated rendering everyday saying "this is what we are building here at this site."

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, j-man said:

Im sure they are not looking at that terrible pixilated rendering everyday saying "this is what we are building here at this site."

This made me laugh.  Like a bunch workers looking a set of Lego instructions arguing over how many studs over the next block attaches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

written from the Ellis perspective:   Some don't like me.  But I am tall and proud but a bit lonely over here in First Ward.  I will get a little brother namely the Homewood Suites hotel that has resumed construction.  I sure wish someone would sell some of the acres and acres of vacant land nearby so I can have some friends.  But I think I look great and you can not beat my views of the skyline from my rooftop amenity areas.   As that dude KJ says I am part of Charlotte Rising but he does not like my  parking rates! 

IMG_5843.JPG

IMG_5845.JPG

IMG_5847.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG

IMG_5850.JPG

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5852.JPG

IMG_5853.JPG

IMG_5854.JPG

I'd call Homewood a cousin or at most, half-brother.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...