The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

47 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

North Tryon area parking lots are a serious detriment to Uptown and it won't feel like a true big city downtown until they're developed. Hopefully we can get something going there. If we need to preserve some parking let's just have one big parking garage and then develop the other lots with useful buildings.

Potential replacement parking for those surface lots coming with 7th and Tryon project.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

He knows the city/county are funding the massive 7th & Tryon redevelopment effort, and that his property will likely be worth significantly more once that project is up or substantially underway.  So I doubt he makes a move before 2025.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

He knows the city is funding the massive 7th & Tryon redevelopment effort, and that his property will likely be worth significantly more once that project is up or substantially underway.  So I doubt he makes a move before 2025.

This is undoubtedly true. It's been his strategy for decades and it's a low risk high reward approach (albeit with a deferred payoff). I just want the media to go after him for pretending to be a developer. Next time he releases renderings, he should be mocked. It's not the ideal business strategy (actually, like, developing something would be more lucrative) but he's doing well by doing nothing. I don't recall what Lennar paid for their block but he'll get a lot more next time. His parking garage is proof that he is in way over his head. I still remember him saying he was inspired by Kansas City's Country Club Plaza before that atrocity was half built...what a joke.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Levine is just holding at this point

This has been an accurate statement for over a decade.  I've been frustrated about him holding such a sizeable portion of uptown hostage for far too long but in my attempt to view this with a glass-half-full mindset there is a silver lining here.  Had he been willing to do anything fifteen years ago a considerable portion of his holdings would most likely have ended up as uninspiring midrises not unlike the initial wave of South End development.  Now, the price these blocks will sell for once they finally get on the market will require some decent height in order to justify the purchase price.  Had the Ellis lot sold last development cycle I don't think a 31 story tower would have been built. I could see Bank of America one day returning back to the center of the inner loop skyline with 20 to 35 story towers stretching all the way to the Brookshire and the Garden District. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JeanClt said:

QUEENFFEL tower paint it green and put a A baguette stand under it.
Maybe even an observation deck and restaurant.

OMG yes!

We have similar towers along the greenway in Wesley Heights.  I hate them.  Like ketchup on steak.  But if we can "Eiffel-ize" them, we might be on to something good.

Edited by RANYC

On 3/5/2022 at 5:57 PM, JBS said:

This is undoubtedly true. It's been his strategy for decades and it's a low risk high reward approach (albeit with a deferred payoff). I just want the media to go after him for pretending to be a developer. Next time he releases renderings, he should be mocked. It's not the ideal business strategy (actually, like, developing something would be more lucrative) but he's doing well by doing nothing. I don't recall what Lennar paid for their block but he'll get a lot more next time. His parking garage is proof that he is in way over his head. I still remember him saying he was inspired by Kansas City's Country Club Plaza before that atrocity was half built...what a joke.

Daniel is definitely a developer, he has built quite a few multifamily buildings around the city. He's not just doing nothing, including one many of us likely pass everyday under construction in Wesley Heights, that has hints of yellow just off to the side on 77

Edited by CLT Development

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/10/2022 at 7:12 AM, uptownliving said:

There have been renderings on the construction fencing for many months now, maybe even a year. Nothing impressive, appears to be standard efis and glass. It was so unimpressive I never took pics of the rendering even though I've passed it multiple times.

I’ve seen those. That’s just a Lego mock up. I want real ones.

Anyone know the success or not of the leasing of this project? I know in the first 6 months asking rents were slashed, but it’s now approaching 2 years past that and haven’t heard much. The surrounding area is still a ghost town unless u count the homeless who line up for food distribution in the parking lot next door almost daily.