The Ellis – 33 Floor Apartment Tower – Lennar does what Levine couldn't.

7 minutes ago, Missmylab4 said:

Sorry slightly off topic, I went to their locations and it list a South Park site arriving in 2019. Is that a new build or just putting a new flag on one of their existing properties? 

I know of no such hotel underway in SouthPark.  There was an AC by Marriott planned on Rexford Rd but it is not started yet.  That is weird though unless it is Childress Klein's skislope church project but that timeline is tough.    Interesting.  

http://canopy3.hilton.com/en/locations/index.html

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

From the Business Journal today hotel site purchased from Lennar.

""Concord Levine Hotels LLC, affiliated with Raleigh-based hotel group Concord Hospitality Enterprises, recently purchased a 0.4-acre parcel at the corner of North College and East Eighth streets from LMC, the multifamily arm of Lennar Corp. (NYSE: LEN) that's developing a 549-unit apartment project on that same block. The portion of the site that Concord Hospitality acquired last week for $3 million was anticipated for hotel development""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/03/22/raleigh-hospitality-group-buys-part-of-uptown.html?ana=TWT_staffAF

Says apartment tower will start later in 2018.  

Wasn't that land supposed to be an office building?

31 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Yeah it was announced when Market 42 was announced that it would be a hotel

I think the confusion is the original rendering definitely appears to be office.

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

Point of clarification: Market Street is already there on the Lennar site.

There is a Market Street off of Hickory Grove Road. They coudl just call it Market Ave or Market Place and solve that problem. Seems like they could just call it "The Market" (i.e.: The Plaza") though, since it will (hopefully) serve that function more than it serves cars.

OR!! - hear me out - they could call it the original name for the street that ran where the rail is: "A Street." Historically, there was A, B, C, and D street. A became the rail corridor, B became Brevard, C became Caldwell, D became Davidson.

There is no reason there couldn't be 2 Market Streets. Happens all of the time. Numbers would have to be substantially different, but its a different zip so it should be fine. 

On 3/25/2018 at 1:09 PM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

There is no reason there couldn't be 2 Market Streets. Happens all of the time. Numbers would have to be substantially different, but its a different zip so it should be fine. 

Maybe, but it depends on the nature of the issue. I think its a city ordinance that requires no duplication of street names, so id that's the case then it may not matter. Obviously there are a lot of exceptions that are grandfathered in (eg: Oak Drive), though, so I agree with your point.

On 3/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, Spartan said:

There is a Market Street off of Hickory Grove Road. They coudl just call it Market Ave or Market Place and solve that problem. Seems like they could just call it "The Market" (i.e.: The Plaza") though, since it will (hopefully) serve that function more than it serves cars.

OR!! - hear me out - they could call it the original name for the street that ran where the rail is: "A Street." Historically, there was A, B, C, and D street. A became the rail corridor, B became Brevard, C became Caldwell, D became Davidson.

I'm so glad some one else has seen those old maps to know that.   Of course, they won't feel so bound by that type of history, especially not an out of town developer.   I'm perfectly happy with them naming it whatever they want.  Market Street was more or less because of 7th St Market and a desire to put retail on the ground floor, which really should be everywhere downtown.   Levine is very small-minded, so I'm sure it stuck from one of his master plans and they used a generic term and he kept that going.   I'm sure in this world where words have lost their meaning, it will be Market Boulevard, despite it being a tiny street, just like DMLKJ Boulevard.  

Interestingly enough, do you know what would actually make sense, and have a great brand, and Charlotte doesn't have one?  "Park Street".  It pretty much is just going for 2 blocks adjacent to the park, would be a very good address, and highlights that it faces First Ward Park.   

• Like 4

On 3/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, Spartan said:

"A" street existed for quite some time. I recall the American Dry Cleaners and Laundry which was located where the current Camden Grandview is now. American relocated to Graham Street in 1982 when the 277 project required some (all?) of their property. American was at the corner of Morehead and A Sts. A was a stub that went as far as the rear of the cleaning facility and plant and ended there, as I remember. I recall this so well since driving along East Morehead and seeing an "A Street" sign seemed so odd to me. It is on this city street map from 1960:

https://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ncmaps/id/9458/rec/75 

Thus it persisted until the 1980's.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

"A" street existed for quite some time. I recall the American Dry Cleaners and Laundry which was located where the current Camden Grandview is now. American relocated to Graham Street in 1982 when the 277 project required some (all?) of their property. American was at the corner of Morehead and A Sts. A was a stub that went as far as the rear of the cleaning facility and plant and ended there, as I remember. I recall this so well since driving along East Morehead and seeing an "A Street" sign seemed so odd to me. It is on this city street map from 1960:

https://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ncmaps/id/9458/rec/75 

Thus it persisted until the 1980's.

Cool! I've looked at a lot of old maps of Charlotte, but I've never noticed that one.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Oh wow! Ok great, yeah I’m excited for this one but couldn’t quite place the location in my mind. I ride by this every day on the train. Terriffic! I like the design too, I hope it stays funky and doesn’t get “the Charlotte treatment” lol. 

I'd be more concerned about it getting the "Minneapolis treatment" 

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2018/04/20/companion-to-northeast-minneapolis-luxury.html