Residence Inn at Town Center (Completed)

HRVA

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very surprised about the hotel, especially considering that another hotel is going directly across the street in City View phase 2. I am pleased that the has the forsight to snatch the Kmart land up before Sifen can get his grubby hands on it. Hopefully they will rezone it B3A so it can match the rest of Town Center.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that we didn't really know it before, but there's been more focused attention on the subject of late.  The opposition bloc has hardened. They're philosophically consistent at least. Indeed, I, too, have been watching these sessions for a few years. Tedious aren't they?

Anyway, of course I speak of parking garages. They are incredibly expensive.  Developers will say that they require subsidies.  All I know is that they kill deals.

Someone needs to develop a smarter mouse trap:  a safe, more cost-efficient, durable parking system. 

Already happening. 

http://www.parkmatic.com/

• 2 months later...

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/developer-of-new-marriott-hotel-near-town-center-will-get/article_4a8bacba-88dd-5194-a177-36fa7a319fd8.html

Breaks ground next week, which is crazy considering I didn't see this go through planning. Surface lot, but the building itself looks very nice. Hoping this is flush with the street with the parking lot behind.

Honestly, it annoys me that this didn't at least go through planning. We don't even get to see a site plan? I have no idea how this is laid out in relation to the rest of the property. This was proposed in June, it's starting construction next week. I'm struggling to find a precedent for something to go from proposal to construction this quickly. Some skids were definitely greased on this one...

Skids greased. Yeah, Tom Lyons was big before Bruce Thompson was known. He's been around a very very long time.  I guess somewhere around the very late 60s early 70s.  He already had an absolutely huge mansion built by around 1980 back in the back of Bay Colony.  I was a very little kid and we would stare at it and think it was the biggest house we'd ever seen. It's still big even by today's standards. 

IMG_1617.PNG

I like the wood planks. It somehow adds a bit of urban flair, and keeps it from being another tallish hotel. The structure itself reminds me a bit of the Residence Inn in downtown Norfolk.

Town Center is really coming into its own...

14 hours ago, Up2313 said:

Is there anything like VB citizen access for Norfolk? I was looking but could not find it. 

Not that I'm aware of. You of course have the normal planning docket, but nothing as granular as this. The only downside to this as opposed to the normal Planning Commission docket, is that you can't see any of the site plans.

The only items that go through the Planning Commission would be rezonings, CUPs, or anything that needs  City Council approval. This development did go through the Planning Department like any development though. I'm sure you could get the site plan through a FOIA request. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived