Block 2 Tower (Proposed)

vdogg

Here’s a link to the article which also has a nice rendering of the Hyatt.. Block 2 will be a great addition to the center. I really like how this building sits on the corner of the Boulevard and should add a lot of density and presence.

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_30652c2e-44c8-11e8-8f50-336033f33e1e.html

Edited by urbanvb

1 hour ago, Up2313 said:

Article just came out in the pilot stating that right now the tower is planned to have first floor retail, 5 levels of parking, and 10 levels of office. Confirming  what Vdogg initially stated. 

Although the article mentioned that Armada hofler is working to find an anchor tenant, and wants them to have say in the buildings design. 

I get the impression that they have a tenant, but the deal isn't final yet. 

There is a window of opportunity to get to a 20-story tower, but that will largely rest on the time constraints of the main tenant.  If the main tenant is adamant that they need space within the next two years, then we will likely not have time to wait for more tenants to get this to a taller building. That said, a tenant of high prestige has a tendency to draw others to an area, and may cause someone who is sitting on the fence to pull the trigger. I got the impression from the informal briefing that they are most likely in talks with a tenant right now.

4 hours ago, metalman said:

It will be nice if they get it up there. The massing looks better taller. :). That rendering has been out there so long, that's what I want to see.   It's an interesting design for this area.

It is not quite on the corner though.  There is still the Taco Bell.

I love that the Taco Bell is still there, talk about holding out on a prime location.

As for this building, I really liked the original design and massing, hopefully what does get built still has a similar feel though it does suck that it seems like every building has to have several levels of parking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, urbanlife said:

I love that the Taco Bell is still there, talk about holding out on a prime location.

As for this building, I really liked the original design and massing, hopefully what does get built still has a similar feel though it does suck that it seems like every building has to have several levels of parking.

In 2040 when all 4 corners of that intersections are built up the city will pony up a ton of money for that spot. I feel like its too small for a building though, so I don't know what would go there. 

44 minutes ago, Virginia City said:

In 2040 when all 4 corners of that intersections are built up the city will pony up a ton of money for that spot. I feel like its too small for a building though, so I don't know what would go there. 

It's just over an acre of land. It'd be denser than any other block but there's a lot that could be done there. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 6:09 AM, Virginia City said:

Obviously the Taco Bell Tower will eventually go there. But seriously, the Taco Bell site is 200ft by 200ft, that is the same size as a Portland, Oregon block, so anything that has been built in downtown Portland could fit on that site. So just about anything could be built there.

Found this old article. This is how much space they’d need to lease to get it back to 22 floors.

https://pilotonline.com/business/article_a3865fd0-321f-5a77-b43a-d68dd53996f5.html

“Six months before the next tower at Town Center is supposed to break ground, it has already booked the anchor tenant: Gateway Financial Holdings Inc.

The parent company of Gateway Bank & Trust Co., will lease 50,000 square feet for its headquarters in the building, to be named Gateway Bank Tower, the bank and the city announced Thursday. The firm - now housed in a Gateway financial center on Laskin Road - will also lease 4,000 square feet for a ground-floor bank.

Gateway chose Virginia Beach over other locations in Hampton Roads and North Carolina, company officials said, without naming the competitors.

The tower, which still has to be approved by the City Council, would be 22 stories tall and house more than 350,000 square feet of office and retail space. It would include a 650-space parking garage and ground-floor retail.”

3 hours ago, metalman said:

This is plenty of room for even the tallest buildings in the world.  The Twin Towers footprint 208sq ft.

They were each 208x208 - which is 43264 sq ft. That's about 300 sq ft shy of an acre so I get your point. Just wanted to clarify. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Divaris Real Estate's Hampton Roads Office Completes Six Transactions

"With this latest lease, 4525 Main Street will be 95 percent occupied with only one 9,600-square-foot space, less than half of the eleventh floor, still available. With only a few large blocks of office space available throughout Town Center, the project is now approximately 95 percent occupied throughout. The demand for space in the city’s Central Business District has precipitated the planning of a new building in the final remaining area for development in Town Center, at Block 2, on Virginia Beach Boulevard immediately west of the Armada Hoffler Tower."

I have never seen them get so specific on these press releases.  It's normally just location,tenant, sq footage, and agents. Hopefully this means they're moving quickly to construction.  

• Like 1

In the VBDA minutes from April it was indicated that they plan to move fairly quickly with development of block 2 once the current block 9 construction is complete. Once block 2 is done, they will proceed with development of blocks 15, 16, 17 (Regal Cinemas/Columbus Village property).

http://www.divaris.com/properties/?propertyId=321413-lease

Property is listed on the Divaris site again in the 16 story configuration. Hopefully with enough demand we can get that back up to 22. I think 4525 Main increased one floor from its initial conception. Hopefully we can get maybe one or two more floors out of this if we don’t get it back up to its original height. 

2 hours ago, urbanvb said:

It sounds like we’re all set for lots of construction. I am especially looking forward to redevelopment of Columbus Village. It’s such a large tract and the potential is huge.:yahoo:

Now if Norfolk can get started on SPQ and Fort Norfolk, we're gonna see a decent little building boom in our two business districts!

• Like 2

ask down to 30psf. unlikely to get additional floors; 22 would take a miracle. 4525 took longer than anticipated to fill extra floor, lowered rents, constant questions from the institutional side. not going to risk speculative increases in ht absent need:   lower vacancy rates/higher demand/higher rents or one big relocation.....

Edited by baobabs727