New North GA Area Code

DaGABoyStinger

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

It's FINALLY HERE!!! Made official tomorrow, April 3, 2006, the NEW 762 Area code will take effect and will require 706 subscribers to dial 10 digits on all local and long distance calls. It still could be a few year though before there are known 762 numbers on residences and businesses. You can read about the article in the AUG chronicle, here. http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/040206/met_75472.shtml

This should be interesting to see what people say about having to dial ten-digit numbers.

The 678 area code for ATL and metro ATL are about to run out of prefixes, we should have the newer area code (470) running sometime this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, after living in 10 digit dialing areas for years now, I find 7-digit dialing to be very wierd...

What was even wierder (IMO) is that in fringe areas you could dial within 2 different area codes using 7-digit dialing. Augusta (706) could call North Augusta (803) as a local call using only 7-digit dialing... I wonder if this means that N. Augusta, SC and other border areas will now use 10 digit dialing as well?

I believe they would have to also, since the Augusta local area to them will has two area codes. The SC Augusta Calling area doesn't really expand that much, which was why we only had to dial 7 digits. we must of only had a few of 803's exchanges and they didn't conflict with AUG's 706 exchanges. Aiken's not even in Augusta's local dialing believe it or not. It's basically Richmond, Columbia, and from N. Augusta to clearwater I believe. If you ask me ALL the MSA should be local at least, like Atlanta's MSA.

Yeah, you're right... The North Augusta area really gets the best deal, because its a local call for them to call Augusta, Columbia Co., Aiken, and SRS. A few years back, before cell phone plans included long-dist, I remember just about everyone got N. Augusta cell phone numbers since they were free to call just about anywhere in the area...

I am still interested in knowing if they have to dial 10-digits now.. Any N. Augustans around that can answer?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, after living in 10 digit dialing areas for years now, I find 7-digit dialing to be very wierd...

What was even wierder (IMO) is that in fringe areas you could dial within 2 different area codes using 7-digit dialing. Augusta (706) could call North Augusta (803) as a local call using only 7-digit dialing... I wonder if this means that N. Augusta, SC and other border areas will now use 10 digit dialing as well?

Same scenario applies to Chattanooga, and N. Georgia 423, 706 and 762

I would find dialing 7 digits wierd now as well. What's funny is that we now don't even bat an eye at having a main home number starting with 770, family cell numbers starting with 404, 770 and 678 and a fax number and secondary line starting with 678. By the time my younger children get old enough for cell phones we may be on 470 then. :unsure: Four prefixes for one household will definitely be interesting.

The only thing that I don't like about the new 470 area code is that it will force you to write out the entire prefix now. Normally when I get contact info I write (4) for 404, (7) for 770 and (6) for 678....(47) looks wierd to me but I guess I will get used to it.

7-digit dialing is very strange today for any area that has cell phone access. After using my cell for two years, whenever I go to my parents home and attempt to use their landline, I get confused remembering not to type 9 digits (as I do for my cell) and then as I try to remember which 7-digit numbers are local and which arent.

Archived