Orlando Museum of Art Downtown property?

orlandouprise

20 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Well now, there was a non-statement statement if ever I heard one. :huh:

It may well be those things, but it will always be way the heck out in the southeast quadrant suburbs of metro Orlando.

Might as well just put it in Bithlo.

Or Kissimmee.

Prahaboheme would probably like it in Kissimmee!

In Bithlo, they could work out a promotional deal with the famous Heine Winery!

Instead of Where’s Waldo, we can have Where’s OMA?

Edited by spenser1058

18 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

It may well be those things, but it will always be way the heck out in the southeast quadrant suburbs of metro Orlando.

Might as well just put it in Bithlo.

Or Kissimmee.

It may not be if a rail connection and otherwise better transit gets built to connect them.

Lake Nona is creating a vibrant community that is architecturally interesting, is walkable, and is creating tons of great jobs.

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I confess - I’ve been wrong all this time.  The City of Orlando and Orange County Commission should pass the following resolution:

RESOLVED: “All public facilities or those organizations seeking support from the governments of Orlando or Orange County shall henceforth be located along International Drive in order to make said facilities convenient to the overwhelming majority of visitors to our respective communities.”

Harris Rosen already has this resolution drafted! ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aent said:

It may not be if a rail connection and otherwise better transit gets built to connect them.

Lake Nona is creating a vibrant community that is architecturally interesting, is walkable, and is creating tons of great jobs.

Yes, like I said, it may be all that, but it's still out beyond the airport. It will never be anywhere else but out by the airport miles and miles and miles away from the actual City of Orlando.

And all things considered, it will still always be one of those pre-planned, pre-designed Baldwin Park, Celebration style communities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aent said:

Doing my cliche part...

I'll be honest because I haven't been in like 3 years.  Do they have any bars yet?  Last time I was there there was Nona Blue and I think a Graffiti under construction.

I've had numerous friends move out there and then move back immediately within a year.  It takes almost 30 minutes to get anywhere, and there's no local scene.  Unless you're in your 40s with 2 kids, it's a wasteland.

• Like 3

The downtown near Nemours and the VA is coming together quickly.  BBA Aviation left Seaside Plaza and opened shop there so that’s a few hundred more employees.   It’s hard not to be jealous (Creative Village has tempered that). 

It’s layout will never be completely walkable except for some designed clusters.   Even the most dense construction is on either side of a 4 lane divided road.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, aent said:

Agree with everything except the “walkable” part.

17 hours ago, aent said:

I'll take a stand and disagree. Lake Nona is a pretty unique place, and this is one step closer to making it like another Winter Park, or St Pete as someone else said. I think thats a good thing for the community. I just hope the existing building is repurposed as another museum, as I feel we don't have enough quality museums in the area.

Most reasonable defenses I've heard of Lake Nona center around it being a net gain for Orlando - that Lake Nona isn't taking things from Orlando, but just growing the pie, if you will.

Taking Orlando's art museum seems to undermine this argument pretty well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Doing my cliche part...

I'll be honest because I haven't been in like 3 years.  Do they have any bars yet?  Last time I was there there was Nona Blue and I think a Graffiti under construction.

I've had numerous friends move out there and then move back immediately within a year.  It takes almost 30 minutes to get anywhere, and there's no local scene.  Unless you're in your 40s with 2 kids, it's a wasteland.

I’m reminded of my time in Atlanta and how we regarded the Perimeter (I-285) as the point beyond which you fell off the earth. The folks out there gave us Newt Gingrich.

Meanwhile, those of us inside the Perimeter were regarded as godless heathens who (shocking!) used public transportation.

As someone who was born in the suburbs and, upon reaching adulthood, ran away as fast as I could, recognize there are very different cultures with very different priorities between the two.

There are folks who are blissfully happy in the suburbs (my parents and siblings, for example.) Both ways of life are equally valid.

I have yet to see anyone merge the two, however. Gated communities are an anathema to urbanistas; to suburbanites, they make perfect sense.

Bottom line: an OMA at Nona will be a very different institution than one in-town over the long run.

Edited by spenser1058

Agree 90% @spenser1058.  I don't disagree that blissful happiness can be found in the suburbs.  I know plenty of people that are, and to your point they cannot be merged.  I, however, don't find them equally valid.  I completely understand *why* someone would find bliss any happiness and see suburbs and gated communities as making perfect sense.  I simply don't believe they should be an option because they are a detriment to society as a whole.

4 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

Agree 90% @spenser1058.  I don't disagree that blissful happiness can be found in the suburbs.  I know plenty of people that are, and to your point they cannot be merged.  I, however, don't find them equally valid.  I completely understand *why* someone would find bliss any happiness and see suburbs and gated communities as making perfect sense.  I simply don't believe they should be an option because they are a detriment to society as a whole.

I certainly agree but there’s also an economic component to it. Until our cities go all in on affordable housing, cheap land with services subsidized by urban taxpayers are the only way most families can take part in the American dream of owning a home. 

For me, it was a valid trade off (instead of investing in a house, I invested in other things). For millions, though, and especially those with kids and trying to get by as best they can, moving to Deltona or out past Clermont was the option.

There are also a boatload of cultural issues involved but I’ll steer clear of those to stay out of Hank’s doghouse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m reminded of my time in Atlanta and how we regarded the Perimeter (I-285) as the point beyond which you fell off the earth. The folks out there gave us Newt Gingrich.

Meanwhile, those of us inside the Perimeter were regarded as godless heathens who (shocking!) used public transportation.

As someone who was born in the suburbs and, upon reaching adulthood, ran away as fast as I could, recognize there are very different cultures with very different priorities between the two.

There are folks who are blissfully happy in the suburbs (my parents and siblings, for example.) Both ways of life are equally valid.

I have yet to see anyone merge the two, however. Gated communities are an anathema to urbanistas; to suburbanites, they make perfect sense.

Bottom line: an OMA at Nona will be a very different institution than one in-town over the long run.

I’d say there are some examples of suburban communities that also exhibit an urban edge - merging the best of both worlds. Florida is uniquely absent of them. Major swaths of the metro areas of the Northeast and West have examples.

You’re certainly correct, but although they’re small, they no longer count as affordable housing. (It often boggles my mind the price for a 1000sf house in a modest neighborhood north of Colonial these days). But then, location, location, location.

A lot of folks moving here also automatically assume urban school systems are awful. Although we have several in-town schools doing quite well, there’s a bias that has to be overcome.

I can tell you personally that I chose the burbs because I could get the house I wanted for 1/5th of the price of the house I wanted closer to town.  My house was brand new.  It wasn't a project.  It didn't require further initial investment.  It didn't require compromise.  It had a nice garage for my vehicles.  It wasn't falling apart.  It wasn't retrofitted to modern amenities. 

Would I like to live close to downtown? Yes.  Would I like to closer to the scene that I enjoy being part of?  Yes. 

Can I justify dropping 400k+ on a tiny home with no garage and almost nothing updated? No.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I can tell you personally that I chose the burbs because I could get the house I wanted for 1/5th of the price of the house I wanted closer to town.  My house was brand new.  It wasn't a project.  It didn't require further initial investment.  It didn't require compromise.  It had a nice garage for my vehicles.  It wasn't falling apart.  It wasn't retrofitted to modern amenities.

...it wasn't zoned for Edgewater High....

Edited by Pete C
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...