Orlando and Metro Area Largest Publicly Traded Companies

Great news, Orlando recently became home to another Fortune 1000 corporate headquarters! 

Largest publicly traded Companies based in Orlando.

1) Darden (Fortune 500) @7.2 billion 

2) Wyndham Time Share @4.3 billion

3) Tupperware 

4) Hilton Time Share

5) Marriot Vacation Club

6) Seaworld Entertainment (Seas)

I think these are the only publicly traded companies based in Orlando with over $1 billion in annual revenues. 

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-bz-wyndham-timeshare-orlando-20170803-story.html

Edited by idroveazamboni
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

They're looking for on-site access to rail/subway/metro and bus routes. I don't think Sunrail service is robust enough. If selected, Orlando would have plenty of time to start laying some tracks, though. :) 

Enrico Moretti says 5 jobs are created for each tech job, locally. So 50k Amazon employees -> 250k other employees -> kids - you're looking at ~500k population growth.

I lived in Connecticut until I was 20, then I moved to Florida. I'd be delighted if Amazon put their second headquarters in either Hartford or Orlando.

Could you imagine how crazy this forum would go if they built a 600 foot Amazon HQ Tower in downtown Orlando?

Edited by orange87

On 9/8/2017 at 5:00 PM, orange87 said:

I lived in Connecticut until I was 20, then I moved to Florida. I'd be delighted if Amazon put their second headquarters in either Hartford or Orlando.

Could you imagine how crazy this forum would go if they built a 600 foot Amazon HQ Tower in downtown Orlando?

Let's think about other options for a second. They are almost definitely looking at the east coast for this new HQ.  Now let's look at cities that have any sort of metro system.  That puts Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, many New England cities, etc. into play., but what exactly would Orlando offer that any of these other cities cannot? Because that will be the determining factor.  What could those special factors be? Thoughts?

54 minutes ago, WAJAS98 said:

Let's think about other options for a second. They are almost definitely looking at the east coast for this new HQ.  Now let's look at cities that have any sort of metro system.  That puts Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, many New England cities, etc. into play., but what exactly would Orlando offer that any of these other cities cannot? Because that will be the determining factor.  What could those special factors be? Thoughts?

Not to be ironic given the current situation, but weather, for starters...compared to northern cities, at any rate.  A popular place to live - Orlando generally does well in "Desireable Places to Live" rankings.  A burgeoning tech scene with support from the city and community at large. Creative Village/UCF. Potential for public/private partnership.  New and state-of-the-art venues. New, upgraded infrastructure (I-4 redo).  Vicinity to KSC (if there is any potential for tie-in with Blue Origin).  A modern airport with great access.  Great neighborhoods in and around the urban core.  A vibrant food scene.  Perhaps just generally recognizing Orlando as new, young, fresh city that is full of potential. 

• Like 1

It likely will come down to the incentive packages offered though. If they want a 2nd HQ, its hard to believe it'd be anywhere but the east coast,Texas, or maybe Vegas in my eyes.  The eastern time zone makes sense for a second HQ. That obviously still leaves a lot of competition, and there is no doubt with the style of announcement, they're looking for that competition to lure them there in the form of handouts from the government, so what Orlando offers there probably will be the biggest factor.

As for what Orlando offers physically that others don't, the big one that hasn't been mentioned is the convention center and the types of conventions we get. While its clearly not required to have a HQ or even office here to take advantage of that, it would make seem to make it a lot easier for Amazon to test the waters and get access to other industries and trades to try to replace all of the specialized distributors... Amazon has slowly been playing with its Amazon Business program, and using that to replace all the specialized suppliers all the vendors use is a huge opportunity for expansion that Amazon hasn't quite figured out yet. The conventions is a clear way to get towards that goal, and is part of the reason I threw Vegas in the mix (along with Amazon-owned Zappos being there and its entertainment venues). When I worked in Central Florida Research Park, that was a major reason companies seemed to choose to have an office in Orlando (along with UCF being there and super willing to work with any companies in town), including the one I worked for.

You also can't ignore our entertainment and tourist attractions. Its clearly among the top in the US, which makes a good benefit for workers.

This article tries to figure out which city will win the HQ based on the press release Amazon made public.  Orlando actually makes it pretty close to the predicted city.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/09/upshot/where-should-amazon-new-headquarters-be.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

I think the one thing we don't have is a reliable and usable mass transit system.

Edited by WAJAS98

• 1 month later...

Back when our  biggest local tourist attraction was Gatorland (and the ever-exciting Tupperware tour!), our largest employer was Martin. Nowadays,  they keep mostly to themselves out on Sand Lake Rd and in East Orange but still pay above average salaries and prop up the third leg of our economic stool. 

It's great to see the announcement that they plan to add more than 500 jobs locally, again paying significantly more than what Rick Scott touted for WaWa when they arrived.

It's easy to forget how important Lockheed Martin is to us locally but it's sure great to have them.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/technology/os-bz-lockheed-martin-stock-20171024-story.html

From the Sentinel

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, idroveazamboni said:

Don’t consider them Orlando or within Orlando Metro Area. 

That’s sort of arbitrary (which, admittedly the MSA decisions by the Census Bureau often are).

Were they in California or much of the West, for example, where counties are much larger, they would be in the same county.

Martin Andersen, former Sentinel publisher and the architect of much of the region, considered Brevard a vital part of Central Florida (hence the BeeLine, the “Bithlo Cutoff” and the location of FTU/UCF).

Both counties consider themselves part of Central Florida and a significant portion of Northwest Polk commutes into the Orlando MSA daily. When the Mormons decide to get more active about developing their properties, Brevard is going to be much closer almost overnight to Orange and Osceola.

Finally, in terms of politics, the national media is already grouping us together as the “I4 Corridor”. What people think of as South Florida  covers a distance of more than 200 miles lengthwise while Melbourne and Lakeland are both significantly closer to us. Culturally, we are a contiguous entity, imho.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...