Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richjagr

Great Fire a long term positive or negative?

Do you feel that the Great Fire was a Positive or Negative for the cities long term development through today?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that the Great Fire was a Positive or Negative for the cities long term development through today?

• Negative - Destroyed many historical structures
    • Positive - Rebuilding was done with Masonry
    • Negative - Caused growth to pause to rebuild
    • Positive - Growth in city took off after the fire
    • All of the Above
    • None of the Above

Just wondering what other individual's on here feel about the great fire. Also the question should read city, not cities...

In the end, I said it was a positive. The city went through a massive building boom after the fire, that resulted in several beautiful buildings and skyscrapers being constructed that may not have taken place, if the fire didn't attract people like H.J. Klutho looking to jump start their careers.

I think it was a negative to lose all the historic structures, but it was a positive in that there was massive growth which ensued after the fire. It would be interesting to know what Jax would be like had the fire never happened.

^I would have considered it a negative, because of the lose of historic structures, but they would have been torn down, like most of the ones that replaced them, by now.

Who knows. Had the fire not happened and the old structures survived, we might have become more like Savannah where nothing much changed in town and the city went into a kind of stasis. I dont think so, but it is interesting to consider.

Perhaps if the town had been more developed when the earlier fires took place, but the city government still hadn't learned their lesson from the multiple fires during the civil war and continued to promote all wood structures. Savannah also has very few remaining non masonry structures, from their fires, they just happened earlier in the town's development and the town itself was just more compact and more developed at an earlier time.

Didn't the tourist aspect of Jax start to dry up after the fire? Where did the silent picture producers run off too, Hollywood?

The tourist aspect began to dry up, right after the railroad was extended south of river. The silent picture producers were basically ran out of town, by residents and city leaders who considered them a nuisance.

That would have to be the greatest negative in Jax history. Imagine Jax being the motion picture capital of the world.

Anyways, enough wondering. I would say that the fire, all in all, had a positive effect on the Jacksonville growth. Maybe we should blame the railroad for allowing everyone to pass us by and head to south Florida versus stopping here. ;)

We are where we are because of where we were, and I wouldn't have it any other way! B)

Having had a major film filmed all around my house just recently, I can report that film makers are a nuisance. They repeatedly blocked access to my street without ever consulting local residence. They also bring in out of town firms for all the work (judging by the tags of the cars working on site). I never got any $ from it, but some neighbors did rent their places out to the film crew for sets. I dont see tremendous financial upside to it unless the production companies are headquartered in town.

As to the running off of the silent movie producers, they were in part lured away by CA (which has a greater variety of environments for filming) and were in part run off, as I always read, by locals fed up also with their licentious behavior (especially for that time). Some things never change.

^ Great Stuff!

I had an apartment on Cherry Street in Riverside a few years back and was able to watch filming of some european cell phone comercial right in front of my second floor window. I thought it was great, although there were a few detours. The director was had the attitude of one of the sterotypical directors shouting at everyone, demanding everything possible from his 4 assistants, and constantly screaming "CUT" to go show the actors exactly how the should walk down the sidewalk while talking on their cell phone. I think they were there about 5 or 6 hours. All of the neighbors recieved flyers in the mail telling about the filming about 2 weeks in advance so that everyone was prepared. I thought it was a great experience and the idea that european film crews are comming to Jax to film really says a lot about our wonderful city.