505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

It’s not just the 505 tower. Their business reporting is pretty sorry as of late. They have a few stories but not like they use to. Most of the news is coming from the NBJ and the Post/ CP. There is still not a lot to report either as Tony G has only given one interview and that was to the Business School Dean @ Lipsomb. They have not reported on Ray Henslers tower either. Their archiving system stinks now too. You can’t access an article after just a couple of months. I am down on them if it isn’t evident. Didn’t use to be, but they have lost their edge.

The paper used to be informative and even fun at times when you'd see renderings and articles about these projects.

Earlier rant edited out. I wasn't totally fair to the paper, and don't feel inclined to sing praises, so the rant fades away, and I love a good rant.

Did I mention I really love this tower? There, back on topic.

Edited by it's just dave

Dave, the paper used to be fun. I used to save the clippings of renderings. I wish I had kept these renderings. I must have had several dozen of them including Tony's Cumberland when it was a 20 story office tower, Ryman Center, Nashville City Center I and II, Fifth Third Bank, and many many others. Those days are gone I am afraid.

The paper is no longer fun. Now its all laptops and smart phones. Books are going away and society has gone to hell! Okay, that's my rant! I do miss the days of those full page renderings.

Dave, the paper used to be fun. I used to save the clippings of renderings. I wish I had kept these renderings. I must have had several dozen of them including Tony's Cumberland when it was a 20 story office tower, Ryman Center, Nashville City Center I and II, Fifth Third Bank, and many many others. Those days are gone I am afraid.

The paper is no longer fun. Now its all laptops and smart phones. Books are going away and society has gone to hell! Okay, that's my rant! I do miss the days of those full page renderings.

Not to get too off topic, but I thought I once saw the original rendering of the Fifth Third Bank building on here. Can someone direct me to it.

Anyways, I have been reading this site for the past 4 or 5 years, and I finally decided to make an account a little while ago. I usually post over on SkyScraperPage, but I would like to be active on a site that focuses more on Tennessee. Now I need to pull my weight in contributing to each thread.

Not to get too off topic, but I thought I once saw the original rendering of the Fifth Third Bank building on here. Can someone direct me to it.

Anyways, I have been reading this site for the past 4 or 5 years, and I finally decided to make an account a little while ago. I usually post over on SkyScraperPage, but I would like to be active on a site that focuses more on Tennessee. Now I need to pull my weight in contributing to each thread.

A very BIG welcome to you arkitekte. We could sure use some more active posters on the Nashville as well as the Tennessee thread. I am currently have too much time on my hands and would welcome some post in the Tennessee Forum.

We do get together for coffee once a month on the first Saturday and you and all members would be welcome.

PRoject is now on bidclerk

Site work and new construction of office development in Nashville. Design plans call for the construction of a 700,000-square-foot office with underground parking for 1,000 vehicles. This project is in the early planning stages and currently seek...Click here for complete Project DetailsProject is now on bid clerk.

One thing I did miss was the est. start date of Nov 2012.

The only thing that shocked me was the fact that this project has shown up on bidclerk before the hotel or apartment building. I would look for those to show up in the next couple of weeks if not sooner.

Honestly I'm not too surprised by this at all. Tony wants to get that lot developed more than the others - which I think is why you saw more push for Signature Tower and not Encore 2 in their respective time. I have to wonder if he does in fact have something lined up for 2015/2016 that we don't know yet that is pushing this one ahead first.

Certainly an interesting time indeed. If this is the case I will certainly get back into my photo taking and maybe ACTUALLY make it to a meeting and meet you guys.

36 stories and about 550 feet! Nashville always seems to avoid going high. Instead we got 30 stories and 492 feet. Nashville City Center II 40 stories and 596 feet, never built. Ryman Center 47 stories and 700+ feet, never built. The Tower at 7th and Commerce 48 stories and 700+ feet, never built. The original office tower planned for the TPAC site 45 stories and 600+ feet, never built.

The list could go on and on....

Is there anywhere to see renderings of these unbuilt bulidings? I never saw them.

36 stories and about 550 feet! Nashville always seems to avoid going high. Instead we got 30 stories and 492 feet. Nashville City Center II 40 stories and 596 feet, never built. Ryman Center 47 stories and 700+ feet, never built. The Tower at 7th and Commerce 48 stories and 700+ feet, never built. The original office tower planned for the TPAC site 45 stories and 600+ feet, never built. The list could go on and on....

This tower will never get built either, although it is fun to talk about.

Not pessimistic, just being realistic. The other developers planning office space actually have an office space development record, and an ability to get tenants. Something Tony does not have

I think you are correct, samsonh. It looks like Signature reincarnated as an office tower. Same fascination, same (or worse) odds. I guess every office developer has to do their first office building. But I'm not aware of any office developer starting with a complicated 700k sq ft office/hotel/retail monster in a secondary market, even in the insane times of 5-6 yrs ago. I think that's why the Tennessean and biz journal didn't even bother picking it up. It's very blog worthy though...keep the cool renderings coming!!

I would challenge everyone to watch this video with Tony Giarratana and the Dean of the Lipscomb Business School. Yes it is 40 minutes long but I have a whole new perception of TG and his vision for Nashville. He is a huge advocate for changing the physical landscape of our city and has shaped the way it looks today. Keep dreaming Tony!

I posted this in post number 1 two weeks ago and this is a very good interview. I am sort of ammused that the NBJ just picked it up.

This is the short they did today and at least it is better pess than they had given him earlier.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2011/11/18/video-giarratana-talks-about-his.html

36 stories and about 550 feet! Nashville always seems to avoid going high. Instead we got 30 stories and 492 feet. Nashville City Center II 40 stories and 596 feet, never built. Ryman Center 47 stories and 700+ feet, never built. The Tower at 7th and Commerce 48 stories and 700+ feet, never built. The original office tower planned for the TPAC site 45 stories and 600+ feet, never built.

The list could go on and on....

Well, had the real estate market not gone bust in the late '80s, we'd have gotten NCC2 built. As for the rest, if all those had been built, it's unlikely that Pinnacle and Batman (perhaps even Mr. G's apartment towers) would've gone up. It would have taken decades for the market to absorb all that space (think of Dallas's overbuilt skyline, which has effectively been unchanged for 2 decades). Add in, too, the highrise proposal to sit atop the Frist (I can't recall the number of floors, perhaps 30 or so ?).

As to the question of renderings, I still have a copy of the NCC proposal folder somewhere in the house, the two towers looked very nice. I can't recall having seen any for the other buildings (if they were ever made), although I have the vaguest recollection for the idea for the Ryman (enclosing the old building under glass) with a blocky/triangular structure where the Convention Center is (based on a drawing in the Tennessean close to 3 decades ago).

The proposal to build on top of the Frist was 19 floors. The original Renaissance/Stouffer was to be 42 floors instead of 31. There were to be 11 stories of condo's on top. The original plans for the original TNBB was to be a19 story building called The Cumberland built by Joe Rodgers. When his tower was not built, Tony took the name for his building.

Please post the NCC2 material if you find it.

How could I forget the original HCA tower Tony was going to build on his Fitfh and Church lot?

I never saw the HCA proposal either. Dang.

The proposal to build on top of the Frist was 19 floors. The original Renaissance/Stouffer was to be 42 floors instead of 31. There were to be 11 stories of condo's on top. The original plans for the original TNBB was to be a19 story building called The Cumberland built by Joe Rodgers. When his tower was not built, Tony took the name for his building. Please post the NCC2 material if you find it. How could I forget the original HCA tower Tony was going to build on his Fitfh and Church lot?

I think we can now also forget that HCA will relocateDT in any tower that could get built as they now own all of the land next to the ONEC1Ty site and that I think is set aside for future office campus development for HCA. They have a number of portable offices on the Centennial side of the tracks and I would expect them to build one or several mid rise towers there to accommodate future growth.

• 3 months later...