505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

I also wouldn't put too much stock into it just to save some heartbreak. Been there done that and learned my lesson! Siggy, Lake Palmer. You can't even get too excited when a big hole is being dug out for "construction" only to become a lake attraction. Not that none of these couldn't be done, just, IMO, take everything with a grain of salt as they say. I still hope for WES and something Siggy-like to emerge on day, sooner than later!

• 1 year later...

Interesting little article about 505 in  Building Design+ Construction publication July of this year. Nothing that we didn't already know but interesting to say the least that there is still interest being generated from somewhere.

http://www.bdcnetwork.com/blog/nashville-tower-be-one-worlds-most-energy-efficient-skyscrapers

Interesting little article about 505 in Building Design+ Construction publication July of this year. Nothing that we didn't already know...

Actually, there was alot in that article I didn't know about. Obviously I've seen the building, but I had no idea about the LEED Platinum, the double glazed wall, etc. Very exciting concepts! Now there is often a very large difference between concept and reality (if we ever even get to see this beauty), but the concept is very exciting indeed!

Actually, there was alot in that article I didn't know about. Obviously I've seen the building, but I had no idea about the LEED Platinum, the double glazed wall, etc. Very exciting concepts! Now there is often a very large difference between concept and reality (if we ever even get to see this beauty), but the concept is very exciting indeed!

One of the reasons I prefer this project over Signature. It's far more cutting edge in technology than Siggy. Sure, a thousand footer would definitely put us on the map...but this would give us something that even cities with other thousand footers don't have. It would be special, and perhaps it would set a higher standard for efficient design in the area.

If only Tony would get a developing partner, such as Hines, to get this going. It's clear as day the core office market is tightening up more and more and the Class A group has very little left and almost no large consistent floor plates in any building for a large operation. I think we're one of those rare markets that could host a large spec office building but banks just aren't willing to lend without a lead tenant. The only exception I'm seeing out there is a 45+ story project in downtown Houston. Houston is absolutely about to explode vertically like they haven't witnessed since the 80s boom that shaped much of their skyline.

On a side note, apparently an announcement is expected in OKC tomorrow for a 700+ft tower.

I think I am honestly happy Signature Tower was not built after looking at OKC. The Devon Energy Tower is great looking, but it looks so misplaced with the city. It also makes the other buildings very very small looking. I think Nashville would need much more density before we try for an 800ft plus building.

I think I am honestly happy Signature Tower was not built after looking at OKC. The Devon Energy Tower is great looking, but it looks so misplaced with the city. It also makes the other buildings very very small looking. I think Nashville would need much more density before we try for an 800ft plus building.

While I do wish for more density, I would hate for us to have a tower that makes all our other buildings look short.  I would HATE for that to happen HERE in Nashville.

9369520565_86f3391e75.jpg
landc alone by willfry, on Flickr

on a serious note though, anyone know when they stopped offering public access to the observation deck in the L&C
  • Like 1

Here is a little more on the tower from the Smithgill site.

http://smithgill.com/media/pdfs/nashville_for_web_.pdf

thanks for that link, I havent previously seen that many renderings and those energy details.  

the only thing I dont like about it is that from two sides it is fat.  its just a personal preference but I like tall buildings to be slender.  

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

While I do wish for more density, I would hate for us to have a tower that makes all our other buildings look short.  I would HATE for that to happen HERE in Nashville.

9369520565_86f3391e75.jpg
landc alone by willfry, on Flickr

on a serious note though, anyone know when they stopped offering public access to the observation deck in the L&C

Almost 30 years ago or more. For awhile it was a private residence, and an architects office. Later, a 20 year old woman from Kentucky dove off the top to the street awning below in 1995 or 1996 when the architect let her look off the deck...twice. She came back the next day, and he let her up a second time.  It was the Terazzo sales office a few years ago, but the outside was not accessible. The last time I remember it open to the public was the 1970's. When the Hyatt opened in 1975 with the revolving restaurant, the L&C Tower Observation Deck was all but closed.

^I think I had forgotten that 505CST is only a smidge over 600 feet, so it will actually be technically shorter than our beloved Batman (albeit it will appear taller since it's on a higher elevation). Of course, that still makes it 400 feet shorter than the Signature planned for that same location.

thanks for that link, I havent previously seen that many renderings and those energy details.  

the only thing I dont like about it is that from two sides it is fat.  its just a personal preference but I like tall buildings to be slender.  

I have the same preference you do for sleek and slender skyscrapers, but 505 truly is a stunning building, in my opinion.  And the fact that is absolutely state-of-the-art only makes it more appealing.  I love that the design is cutting edge well beyond just it's physical beauty. 

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

I don't like it for one reason... it's not 40 stories.  What's the invisible "ceiling" keeping all Nashville buildings under 40 floors? 

10) Fear

9) No-one willing to take a risk

8) FAA height restrictions

7) Metro Fire Department height restrictions

6) Cost

5) Insurance rates above a certain height

4) This is Nashville and Nashville does not like tall buildings because that is "too big city..."

3) Construction companies don't want to build that high

2) Union wages for tall buildings are too tall

and the top ten reason Nashville does not build above 40 stories....1) Not enough concrete available.

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

10) Fear

9) No-one willing to take a risk

8) FAA height restrictions

7) Metro Fire Department height restrictions

6) Cost

5) Insurance rates above a certain height

4) This is Nashville and Nashville does not like tall buildings because that is "too big city..."

3) Construction companies don't want to build that high

2) Union wages for tall buildings are too tall

and the top ten reason Nashville does not build above 40 stories....1) Not enough concrete available.

1a) Just to piss you off.

• Like 2

"If" they were to build something with height, would the construction be outsourced anyways? I just figured Nashville would not have any companies capable of a project of that scale. Was The Pinnacle built by a Nashville based company?

The Pinnacle was built by Brasfield & Gorrie who has a number of regional offices (Nashville, Dallas, Jacksonville, Birmingham maybe, and some others).  They also built Encore, Adelecia, the Batman Building, and Suntrust Plaza.  They've built a few other highrises too. 

http://www.brasfieldgorrie.com/Portfolio.aspx#cat=60

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 1

If only Tony would get a developing partner, such as Hines, to get this going. It's clear as day the core office market is tightening up more and more and the Class A group has very little left and almost no large consistent floor plates in any building for a large operation. I think we're one of those rare markets that could host a large spec office building but banks just aren't willing to lend without a lead tenant. The only exception I'm seeing out there is a 45+ story project in downtown Houston. Houston is absolutely about to explode vertically like they haven't witnessed since the 80s boom that shaped much of their skyline.

On a side note, apparently an announcement is expected in OKC tomorrow for a 700+ft tower.

Hey, Nash, I did a search of news articles and couldn't find any mention of a new skyscraper for Oklahoma City. Do you have any info ? The UP forum on OK is dead.

Well that's a bit disappointing.  I was looking forward to seeing what was in the works for them, because I thought this was some imminent super tall that was ready to be constructed.  It turns out, if I'm understanding the video correctly, that it's really nothing more than speculation at best.