505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

It is rather comical when you think about this little cat-and-mouse game developers always seem to play with their renderings... as those renderings never quite look like the finished product.  And people like Mr. Giarratana always show about a half dozen renderings before his project ever gets started (if at all)... so you really don't know what you're getting much of the time until whatever it is pops out of the ground.

Gotta say though that Jim Hentzler's 1212 tower looks much better than it ever did in the drawings.  The Hilton Garden Inn, on the other hand... well, let's just say "bless its heart"!

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

It is rather comical when you think about this little cat-and-mouse game developers always seem to play with their renderings... as those renderings never quite look like the finished product.  And people like Mr. Giarratana always show about a half dozen renderings before his project ever gets started (if at all)... so you really don't know what you're getting much of the time until whatever it is pops out of the ground.

Gotta say though that Jim Hentzler's 1212 tower looks much better than it ever did in the drawings.  The Hilton Garden Inn, on the other hand... well, let's just say "bless its heart"!

Part of that is because planners like myself are picky when it comes to elevations and facade arrangement. They'll (developers and architects...the firm I worked at in Memphis did this a lot) purposefully not disclose everything to a planning office to get through the conceptual approval phase and then try to slide by the final approval stage hiding certain design elements. Another side of that is architects and developers know that their original design will change over time whether that's for an economic reason or a reason as I stated above so they'll only come with the bare minimum or an extremely generic rendering...aka the Revit renderings where the building seems to float or the horrible sketch up renderings.

I'll admit it's hard for me to take some proposals seriously when they have renderings that looked like something I did 5 minutes before for a class desk crit in architecture school. 

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 4

^Agreed; current design looks great, and no need of changing.

Another to add to your "Past Renderings for 5th and Church Projects;" don't forget the original design for siggy.

attachicon.gifskyline-night.jpg

Done

SiggyLot_zpsb8ef2fc8.jpg

It doesn't include the first proposal for this lot after demolition of the Cain-Sloan Store which, ironically, was to be an eight story parking garage. It was to have a brick facade, as I recall, and a clock tower on the 5th and Church corner. I wish I had kept the rendering.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1