505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

Great article. So is 505 going to be a glass box also? 

Yeah, it is. It's a glass box with curved sides. Did you not see the site plan images in the article?... :dontknow:

It could be worse. It could be a 750' precast concrete box, so...

I'll gladly welcome this box into our skyline. Nothing but bragging rights really, but I'd be proud that Nashville would become home to the tallest all residential tower outside of NYC and Chicago. 

From the article farm_boy posted. 

In this first image looking from the top down, you can see the curved or bowed sides. It's nothing too dramatic, but it definitely gives it that extra something to keep it from being 'just a box'. The color renderings look much better. Everyone should hold off judgement until those are released.

635537621606160263-Lobby.jpgscreen-shot-2014-11-25-at-44754-pm-600xx635537621978810263-Amenity-Deck.jpg635537622288060263-Condo-Section.jpg635537623278510263-Front.jpg635537622801460263-Parking.jpg

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 1

So...now seeing all of that, it's obvious the sides of 505 are slightly rounded (bow outward a few degrees)...while the front and back are straight.  If they stick with the design, one small thing they could do just to give the building a little more "character" would be to maybe raise one side of the roof about 20-30 degrees to give the top of the building a slant.  It could even be a false roof, just for appearances.

• Like 1

So...now seeing all of that, it's obvious the sides of 505 are slightly rounded (bow outward a few degrees)...while the front and back are straight.  

Not quite. The dotted lines in the first pic (on the Church St side) show a very slight bow on that side (above the lobby).

Also, I find it interesting that the numbers and the diagrams from the article don't exactly match up.

Not quite. The dotted lines in the first pic (on the Church St side) show a very slight bow on that side (above the lobby).

Also, I find it interesting that the numbers and the diagrams from the article don't exactly match up.

You can also see the dotted line on the back side (facing the garage) showing the same bow.

Thanks for pointing that out.  From afar, it will still probably look like a 2X4, but at least it has a slight variance from just being a tall box.

And btw...just so you guys know, I'm THRILLED we're getting this, even with this design.

Edited by titanhog

If they stick with the design, one small thing they could do just to give the building a little more "character" would be to maybe raise one side of the roof about 20-30 degrees to give the top of the building a slant.  It could even be a false roof, just for appearances.

I jokingly asked Tony, if we took up a collection could we pay for a nice crown to make it taller. He said sure but he would have to eliminate floors because of the 750' limit.

STUPID FAA! < my words not Tony's. This could have been so much taller. I mean, if your in to height and all...

I would hope the 750' limit is something that will change in the future.

At least with this entire building being 750' (unlike the bulk of the Batman Bldg really being 100' shorter (or more) than the "ears"), this will definitely stick out above the present skyline.  Hopefully it will start inspiring others to build above 500' soon.

Edited by titanhog

Correct. Tony specifically said that Signature tower was never approved by the FAA. He also said the FAA couldn't have stopped him from building it, but they would have deemed the tower a hazard essentially making lenders and insurance companies not wiling to work with him. 

I'd also like to point out that Tony was asked by John I think it was, if that 750' height limit was for all of downtown and Tony said no, only the property at 5th & Church. 

I'd also like to point out that Tony was asked by John I think it was, if that 750' height limit was for all of downtown and Tony said no, only the property at 5th & Church. 

That's very interesting.  I wish there was a map of downtown showing what the FAA restrictions would be for certain areas.  Strange that the 750' restriction is just for that property.