505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

That's very interesting.  I wish there was a map of downtown showing what the FAA restrictions would be for certain areas.  Strange that the 750' restriction is just for that property.

As far as I know there is no other FAA height restrictions in downtown Nashville. The only reason there is one for 5th & Church is because Signature tower triggered the FAA to get involved. 

That's very interesting.  I wish there was a map of downtown showing what the FAA restrictions would be for certain areas.  Strange that the 750' restriction is just for that property.

I forget the exact acronym he used, but roughly, the FAA uses the average height of the surrounding buildings combined with the elevation of the ground itself to determine this limit. Based on my understanding, as the average height of the skyline increased, this limit would increase along with it.

I forget the exact acronym he used, but roughly, the FAA uses the average height of the surrounding buildings combined with the elevation of the ground itself to determine this limit. Based on my understanding, as the average height of the skyline increased, this limit would increase along with it.

So they're really basing their decisions on height above sea level, it sounds like.  If a building was being constructed a mile away on land 100' lower than where 505 is, they may allow 850', correct?

Edited by titanhog

It appears this is overcome by paying lobbyists and consultants to inform the FAA how an individual building is safe to build. This will serve as precedence to justify taller buildings in the future. A 1000ft tower becomes a lot more reasonable with a 750 footer already present. Other cities have airports that are in much closer proximity to their downtowns than Nashville, and they have no issues with this. Miami and San Diego are two great examples. I flew into and out of Miami a year ago and we took off directly over downtown. We were close enough that I remember seeing air conditioner fans spinning.

It appears this is overcome by paying lobbyists and consultants to inform the FAA how an individual building is safe to build. This will serve as precedence to justify taller buildings in the future. A 1000ft tower becomes a lot more reasonable with a 750 footer already present. Other cities have airports that are in much closer proximity to their downtowns than Nashville, and they have no issues with this. Miami and San Diego are two great examples. I flew into and out of Miami a year ago and we took off directly over downtown. We were close enough that I remember seeing air conditioner fans spinning.

I completely agree.  One quick note though is that San Diego actually has it worse off than we do.  They're tallest building is only 500 feet tall, which happens to also be their FAA imposed height limit.

I completely agree.  One quick note though is that San Diego actually has it worse off than we do.  They're tallest building is only 500 feet tall, which happens to also be their FAA imposed height limit.

Plus their situation is worse and fairly odd at Lindbergh Field. The end of their sole runway is not even a full mile from the CBD. They haven't moved because it hasn't caught enough momentum to justify the cost. 

Edited by NashRugger

Is there a pragmatic reason for the lobby segregation or is is just to manufacture a sense of exclusivity?

It's pragmatic for TG, less so the condo dwellers. For the buyers I think it is essentially for exclusivity and less pragmatism.  However, TG needs to justify to his consumers a price per sq ft that will allow him to build this building.  He can do that through selling exclusivity.  

It is nice to see that the building has some curve to its sides.  I hope there is some sort of lighting so it's not completely dark at night.  From the pictures, it looks like the very top of the tower could be lit where the mechanical area is located.  Also, the article did mention that the design of the building could still change.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Also, any idea when the color renderings will be released?  

Pragmatic? I would guess it has more to do with marketing the exclusivity of the condos... as opposed to the apartments. However, the separate elevator bank would qualify as a "pragmatic" perk for those people living on floors 51-60.

Actually thinking about it since most of the units are apartments they'll probably actually be occupied so it is probably about segmenting elevator banks and concierge lines.

Hoping this starts soon as well because this economic boom on the national level we're going through at the moment can't and won't last more than a couple more years at best. The market can't sustain the the artificial inflated growth its going through especially with the most of the rest of the world already teetering on the edge of recession We ARE in another bubble and there IS going to be another bust... It's going to happen...maybe not as severe as 2008 (maybe worse considering the fed, the SEC, Wall Street, and the greedy banks have still not learned their lessons...but I won't speculate on this point) , but a bust non the less which will be just enough to kill this project as well as any others not already started. So, Tony, get this thing financed and rising soon!

• Like 1