505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

On a sidebar, the building to be replaced in OKC by the speculative tower is fugly........ I am surprised with all teh accolades it has received....

r620-1ce5f2867c2d1356a2211353041824ae.jp

Brutalism at it's best! Reminds me of that failed Museum Tower in Louisville with all of the protrusions and such.

Getting back to 505 CST. I noticed Tony has not even mentioned this tower in a while which could lead one to believe Signature could still be on the radar. However, I don't know what companies he could be looking to put in 505 CST. I think our tower development in Downtown, Mid-town, and the Gulch is going to be residential and hotels for a while. The Pinnacle may have been the last office tower for awhile.

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

"The Pinnacle may have been the last office tower for awhile."

And yet it seemed to come out of nowhere at the time.  I think that we will see more office buildings in the not-too-distant future.

There was a rumor of it for awhile, but at the time no-one believed it because of the MDHA height restrictions for SOBRO at the time.

How much class A office space is availiable right now in Nashville? I read somewhere that everything was pretty much full. If it is full wouldn't that make it a little more easy for Tony to secure financing on this project, or is that fully dependent on an achor tenant? Also, if Tony were to get a few commitments consisting of smaller leases instead of one big one, would that be enough to get this going?

How much class A office space is availiable right now in Nashville? I read somewhere that everything was pretty much full. If it is full wouldn't that make it a little more easy for Tony to secure financing on this project, or is that fully dependent on an achor tenant? Also, if Tony were to get a few commitments consisting of smaller leases instead of one big one, would that be enough to get this going?

Class A space is always in a little bit of flux. Of course, whatever happens with WES or Gulch Crossing would have some effect on it...and there's the potential Eakin property in the Gulch as well.

Given the high tech/high level of design in the building, it would be expensive. Very expensive. Enough so that yes, I think an anchor tenant would be required. In my unexpert opinion, probably one that's looking for a 4-500,000 sq ft block of space that can't be found in one of the current towers.

Class A space is always in a little bit of flux. Of course, whatever happens with WES or Gulch Crossing would have some effect on it...and there's the potential Eakin property in the Gulch as well.

Given the high tech/high level of design in the building, it would be expensive. Very expensive. Enough so that yes, I think an anchor tenant would be required. In my unexpert opinion, probably one that's looking for a 4-500,000 sq ft block of space that can't be found in one of the current towers.

Was a cost ever put out there? Curious as what a building of that caliber would cost. Anyway, yeah your probably right, I'm sure he would need a mega contract to get that thing off the ground. Has there been any speculation lately on any major companies possibly relocating to Nashville that could fill this thing up?

Edited by mirydi

Needless to say this project would impact Nashville in the same way Signature Tower would have. Going back to 2004 on this site when Signature was first proposed everyone agreed that lot is the most important surface parking lot in downtown followed by the old Hotel Tulane site at 9th and Church.

Both of those lots would certainly raise the skyline to a new level while at the same time open themselves up to developments that put thousands of people on the street.

Lunch time activity alone would greatly help the restaurant business downtown if a thousand people were walking around looking for lunch or dinner.

Tony has been trying to develop this lot for over a decade, and it may take another decade to see something actually happen. 

The first development was a 10 story parking garage with retail on the bottom and a 200 foot clock tower which would have been an amazing development.

The second was a 50 story office tower for HCA.

The third was Signature Tower.

In any case. We will play the waiting game again. I think all of Nashville has heard about all of the different proposals for this lot. It is just a matter of time. It may take another 10-20 years, but something will happen.

Was a cost ever put out there? Curious as what a building of that caliber would cost. Anyway, yeah your probably right, I'm sure he would need a mega contract to get that thing off the ground. Has there been any speculation lately on any major companies possibly relocating to Nashville that could fill this thing up?

He would need a national, if not international tenant to fill a 38 story office building. Possibly a hotel as well. In any case a development of this magnitude  and design would be about $300,000,000.00 Three Hundred Million. Yes, you read that right.

He would need a national, if not international tenant to fill a 38 story office building. Possibly a hotel as well. In any case a development of this magnitude  and design would be about $300,000,000.00 Three Hundred Million. Yes, you read that right.

I wouldn't be shocked if this tower cost more than 300 million. 

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere else, but someone on SSP posted this article about 505. The height could change to be close to 750'. There's also some diagrams. 

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6796

nashville_505_church_02.jpg

http://archpaper.com/uploads/nashville_505_church_02.jpg

nashville_505_church_01.jpg

http://archpaper.com/uploads/nashville_505_church_01.jpg

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 4

I wouldn't be shocked if this tower cost more than 300 million. 

I think this tower in Pittsburgh is a pretty good example and is very close in terms of height and tech. It's about $240 million according to wiki.

I would also suspect that building costs in Pittsburgh are quite a bit more than in Nashville. Could be wrong though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_at_PNC_Plaza

The_Tower_at_PNC_Plaza.jpg

Edited by mirydi

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere else, but someone on SSP posted this article about 505. The height could change to be close to 750'. There's also some diagrams. 

nashville_505_church_02.jpg

http://archpaper.com/uploads/nashville_505_church_02.jpg

nashville_505_church_01.jpg

http://archpaper.com/uploads/nashville_505_church_01.jpg

Go to www.giarratana.com. Go to the rendering and download the PDF. At the top right corner of the diagram it says floor 38 605 feet. THEN IT STATES THE FAA REQUIREMENT FOR THIS BUILDING TO BE BUILT NO HGHER THAN 605 FEET which lead to the thread in which we discussed Nashville height restrictions. This building is not going to be 750 feet. Sorry.

Go to www.giarratana.com. Go to the rendering and download the PDF. At the top right corner of the diagram it says floor 38 605 feet. THEN IT STATES THE FAA REQUIREMENT FOR THIS BUILDING TO BE BUILT NO HGHER THAN 605 FEET which lead to the thread in which we discussed Nashville height restrictions. This building is not going to be 750 feet. Sorry.

So the FAA would allow us to have a 1000+ footer, but not a 750ft tower?

Giarratana successfully petitioned the Federal Aviation Authority to grant the site extra airspace. Originally designed as a 605-foot tower, 505 Church could rise to 750 feet.
  • Like 2

I like the current design, but I do think a bit more height would make the curves of this tower look more attractive. I will say this. If this one is ever built, then we could stop complaining about how unadventurous our skyline is for at least five years. 

You will still have people complaining, but it will be because they think that a tower like that doesn't fit in Nashville. I've already read several comments about how a tower like this should not be built here because it doesn't blend in with the current architecture. There will always be people complaining about something unfortunately, (I may be one of em) but atleast it gives us something to discuss... :alc:

• Like 1

So the FAA would allow us to have a 1000+ footer, but not a 750ft tower?

At the time the flight patterns around downtown were different. At one point the height limit for that lot was 440 feet.

Well could Tony be courting HCA/Sarah Cannon/Parallon? Could this explain the delay in starting WES? Could this be the reason Tony wanted to add 145 feet to the 505 Tower? HCA first talked with him in the 1990's. Could they be back in talks?

HMMMMMMM.