505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

That above quoted article is humorous. 'Countless developers from all over the South were brought in and they all determined that renovation was not feasible,' he said. Nothing is feasible until someone is held to a certain standard by development codes. What's always, always ironic about quotes like this and "research" that has been done is it's almost always from one vantage point, with one end goal in mind. When research is done by an outside source, you'll often find that the preservation and adaptive reuse of a historic building will generate more tax revenue, hold taxable value longer and be worth more after rehabilitation than new construction. 

I fully agree with the inadequate preservation ordinances in Nashville creating situations like this. Many cities will require a developer to prove an economic hardship (requires a study on feasible reuse, attempts a resale/marketing the property to other developers, and not being able to create a reasonable rate of return...many cities note reasonable rate as any rate) to demolish a historic structure (one that is under the purview of a CLG). Unless a city has extremely weak requirements, buildings like this don't get demolished. 

This building was on the NRHP. Federal Tax credits go a long way if you actually make an attempt to apply for and use them for the adaptive reuse of your building. Couple that with state historic tax credits (and depending on the city, local credits...many cities in Texas for instance) and you approach a tax credit of 50% percent that you can carry, in some places for 20 years. 

The point of the last paragraph was to only note that if a developer actually tries to preserve a building, often times the building is preserved. If you wade through the bs you'll find that most want the quickest, easiest buck. 

• Like 4

^ Yep. Especially with the perceived "tallest" status, they really could have done something to make a more stunning impact on the skyline. I really don't get it. But perhaps 505 is just laying the (flat) foundation for something bigger and better to rise and dwarf it.

• Like 1

I'm thinking Tony G is not Done he was building in a struggling real estate Market in Nashville so I'm thinking once he gets his cash up he's going for something bigger. He's not the one that's going to make large announcements unless he's ready now from his other developments he wants to hold credibility I'm hoping at least. What other property does he own in the core of downtown?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, brvsutton said:

Hey guys! New here to the forums and just curious about the top. Is the portion 'protruding' from the top going to remain? I keep hearing about a 'flat top' design, but I'm starting to see a Snodgrass/Tennessee Tower design going on here. 

Welcome to the forum!  As for the portion in question, I'm no construction expert by any means, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's just the tower core, which they have to build before they build the bit around it so it has something to attach to.  So I think it will still be level at the top once the surrounding pieces catch up to the core.  Hope that helps!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, brvsutton said:

Hey guys! New here to the forums and just curious about the top. Is the portion 'protruding' from the top going to remain? I keep hearing about a 'flat top' design, but I'm starting to see a Snodgrass/Tennessee Tower design going on here. 

That's just the core where the elevators are located.  The glass curtain wall will cover that up and give the building a "flat top" appearance.

• Like 3

I know all that is true, and this isn't going to be a signature skyline element, but for what it is I think it's a pretty good addition to the skyline. I'm glad it is replacing that parking lot I used to walk across every day to get to the subway. I'll take it for now and bide my time till something else comes along.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AUNash said:

I know all that is true, and this isn't going to be a signature skyline element, but for what it is I think it's a pretty good addition to the skyline. I'm glad it is replacing that parking lot I used to walk across every day to get to the subway. I'll take it for now and bide my time till something else comes along.

Man, when I read "subway", my first thought was this dude's crazy...subway? In Nashville. Then I realized you meant the sandwich shop. You must really like sandwiches. 

• Like 4

505 is way bigger than I anticipated, I actually got to come back home this past weekend and go downtown, unfortunately the rain kept me from exploring too much but 505 has a much bigger impact than I anticipated and really looks like a new tallest.  Skyhouse was also bigger than I thought. I didn't get a chance to see the SoBro area though, I was hoping to get to do a bit of walking around town. 

• Like 2