505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

I think one reason Nashville just feels small has something to do with the elevation change. If you look at the skyline from the generic spot at the pedestrian bridge you don't get to see the density. But from certain angles, like the pic above, you can truly see the density.

For example:  

5056234794_6e63450c1d_b.jpgBeside the River by 00Accord4cyl, on Flickr 

Compared to this:

5042844801_213a755c79_b.jpgNashville Skyline by 00Accord4cyl, on Flickr

There are certain buildings you would never see from the bridge or know about

• Like 1

As they say, often times, "the grass is always greener."

I'm sure there are many who look at Nashville and wish they had what we have...just as we look at other cities and wish we had what they have.

I've been here 20+ years...and have been to every major city in the U.S. at one time or another...and Nashville still feels like home and overall, my favorite city, for many reasons. I can name its flaws, but I still love it over all the others.

Here's to hoping Tony can get this 750 footer out of the ground!  :alc:

Great comment TH. I agree. I have thought about leaving Nashville a dozen times over the past 30 years. I was ready to tell my wife when I was still in the hotel business, we could move to Atlanta any day she wanted. I could have worked at numerous hotels. We always end up staying. I don't think I could have ever had what I now have in any other city. I have never been able to make any money for some reason. I have always been a blue collar guy, and Nashville has always been affordable, and once a year I can go to another city either in the US or abroad to get a sense of how the rest of the world lives.

I feel fortunate that Nashville never really stopped progressing. We always seem to have a building going up, and we are always getting press somewhere. I was in the Buffalo airport on my way back from Toronto a few years ago. We were sitting in the hotel bar before our flight and a couple of locals were making fun of Nashville when the sports news came on. They kept referring to the Titans as the Nashville Beavers. I guess they never got over the Music City Miracle. In any case, Buffalo was still a rusty toilet at that time and I kept saying to myself "I wonder if these guys realize what kind of S***hole they live in!

I don't want to leave Nashville anymore since the arts scene has really exploded. We have a lot going for us. A tall skyscraper would only be icing on the cake as it were.

• Like 1

Great comment TH. I agree. I have thought about leaving Nashville a dozen times over the past 30 years. I was ready to tell my wife when I was still in the hotel business, we could move to Atlanta any day she wanted. I could have worked at numerous hotels. We always end up staying. I don't think I could have ever had what I now have in any other city. I have never been able to make any money for some reason. I have always been a blue collar guy, and Nashville has always been affordable, and once a year I can go to another city either in the US or abroad to get a sense of how the rest of the world lives.

I feel fortunate that Nashville never really stopped progressing. We always seem to have a building going up, and we are always getting press somewhere. I was in the Buffalo airport on my way back from Toronto a few years ago. We were sitting in the hotel bar before our flight and a couple of locals were making fun of Nashville when the sports news came on. They kept referring to the Titans as the Nashville Beavers. I guess they never got over the Music City Miracle. In any case, Buffalo was still a rusty toilet at that time and I kept saying to myself "I wonder if these guys realize what kind of S***hole they live in!

I don't want to leave Nashville anymore since the arts scene has really exploded. We have a lot going for us. A tall skyscraper would only be icing on the cake as it were.

Hell yeah!....I like seeing some positivity coming from you, hahaha...hopefully we see you and your wife at the mexican restaurant soon!

I know the feeling. I always wanted to move away from Nashville. It was never a feeling of "I've got to get away from here, but more of an "I'm excited to try something new". After living in one of the most beautiful cities in the country in San Francisco, and one of the hippest communities of Berkeley, I realized just how awesome Nashville is for what it is. We will never be Manhattan, and we can't create mountains or beaches nearby, but we can attract sports, arts, jobs, and an overall great quality of life. We have established one of the best societies I've ever seen in the world. The people here are just plain awesome. And that goes for natives and transplants alike. I would love to live forever and be able to live in every city on the planet for some length of time, but my time is short and I want to spend it in Nashville.

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 1

I would love to live forever and be able to live in every city on the planet for some length of time, but my time is short and I want to spend it in Nashville.

I feel like someone over in the tourism office needs to use this...I feel the same way.

I think one reason Nashville just feels small has something to do with the elevation change. If you look at the skyline from the generic spot at the pedestrian bridge you don't get to see the density. But from certain angles, like the pic above, you can truly see the density.

For example:  

5056234794_6e63450c1d_b.jpgBeside the River by 00Accord4cyl, on Flickr 

Compared to this:

5042844801_213a755c79_b.jpgNashville Skyline by 00Accord4cyl, on Flickr

There are certain buildings you would never see from the bridge or know about

I couldn't agree with this more and have actually posted about my own disdain that a google image search for "Nashville" shows page after page of horrible shots  from the pedestrian bridge when, in fact, a more accurate image would be something like this:

nashville-tennessee-nighttime-hdr-downto

Edited by NikOnder
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Chin up, Mirydi... that may turn out to be the alternate plan for Sheet Music.  Yep, it would have been great to have both of those sleek towers.  The thing with Giarratana is you really never know what he'll ultimately do... as he's shown on previous projects.

• Like 1

This new design is tall and unoffensive, and I hope it gets built, but there is absolutely nothing about it to me that is at all interesting or unique.  The previous design, however, was something that would have captured the attention of the entire world and would have been a trailblazer in terms of innovation and energy efficiency.  I'm still disappointed we won't see it rise. 

• Like 2

Like the SoBro renderings, I find appeal in both the old and the new. 

I think the original '505' rendering was something unique...it had some bulk, but an appealing shape. I loved the asymmetry. 

I also like the mixed use revised rendering (referenced by miydi). Tall and slender, but still impressively imposing. 

I think I like the residential proposal the least -- but that's absolutely not to say I don't like it. I think it's a very nice design...I just like the others better. I guess I'm not a big fan of the small (area) tower connected with a tall and long garage. Kind of a personal preference thing.

Like the SoBro renderings, I find appeal in both the old and the new. 

I think the original '505' rendering was something unique...it had some bulk, but an appealing shape. I loved the asymmetry. 

I also like the mixed use revised rendering (referenced by miydi). Tall and slender, but still impressively imposing. 

I think I like the residential proposal the least -- but that's absolutely not to say I don't like it. I think it's a very nice design...I just like the others better. I guess I'm not a big fan of the small (area) tower connected with a tall and long garage. Kind of a personal preference thing.

Agreed.  I also don't think it really looks like an inconic 'signature' tower (no pun intended).  I like when tallest buildings have some sort of crown or spire atop it that signify it's importance to all who see it.  Austin's tallest building, also a residential tower, just looks kind of awkward to me, like a 6'5" seventh grader. 

Edited by BnaBreaker