505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

• 1 month later...

This is starting to sound more and more promising as time goes on. I wonder if this was part of the deal with MDHA when they were negotiating for the parking garage? 

Also, I found this part quite interesting.

"The two structures will adjoin one another, and MDHA and the seller have been working together to develop a mutually beneficial plan," spokeswoman Jamie Berry wrote in an email.

It sounds as if the parking garage is definitely being designed to incorporate Tony's tower. 

Edited by mirydi

I'm thinking Tony just may be a genius, if my calculations are correct.

Tell me if I'm wrong...but he basically enticed the city to build the 505's garage, with city money...pay him $XX for the land...AND give him $12.5 Mil TIF money?  Is that right?

If the construction costs are anywhere close to the range of $225 million, then he basically got MDHA to finance 10% of it.

• Like 1

Sure, Tony G. is a veritable magician, but, what is he trying to prove with this woefully strident design? I mean, our beloved Batman building is interesting; this is a partially crushed paper towel core balancing on a shoe box. The previous design was a building that would have given Nashville a tasteful addition to its skyline, maintaining an established balance. It was art worthy of realization; this is a phallus...and a skinny one at that. 

Edited by vinemp
  • Like 1

Sure, Tony G. is a veritable magician, but, what is he trying to prove with this woefully strident design? I mean, our beloved Batman building is interesting; this is a partially crushed paper towel core balancing on a shoe box. The previous design was a building that would have given Nashville a tasteful addition to its skyline, maintaining an established balance. It was art worthy of realization; this is a phallus...and a skinny one at that. 

I think he's trying to actually accomplish something and using whatever means to make his proposals an actual reality. While I agree that the most recent rendering is certainly a disappointment compared to the original proposal, hey, at least it's something and it looks like it will get done. It's alot easier to imagine something on paper than actually get it built (Strings, anyone?). We have an enormous, eyesore of a lake at what should be one of the most prominent spots between midtown and downtown that can also testify to that. In the 10 years Palmer has accomplished NOTHING at that site, Tony G has added more to the skyline than anyone since the Batman building. 

Nashville is (seemingly) about to get a tower over 700 feet, something many mid to large size cities in the country can't say, and people are complaining...

Edited by NikOnder
  • Like 2

I think that's a bit harsh.

It's not a groundbreaking design -- and as I stated before, based on design alone, I prefer the original. 

And let me tell you, I'd prefer to have a long skinny phallus than no phallus at all. That's what we have now. A surface parking lot. And soon to be a midrise parking garage. 

We can be snobs about the design of buildings that rise in this city, but name another proposal over 20 stories that's better than this one? Sheet Music? Maybe?

I would love for a high standard of architectural design....but as a skyscraper enthusiast, I say, beggars can't be choosers.

Edited by UTgrad09
  • Like 2

This is the latest rendering:

UuJ1ZYA.jpg

I certainly understand the complaints, it's no beauty like the original design, but one thing I think we're also forgetting in this discussion is that this most recent design added, what, over 100 feet to the proposed height? I say bring it on.

Edited by NikOnder
  • Like 1

Okay, Thanks NikOnder.

I am both disappointed and elated. Disappointed because the previous iteration is superior but elated that this is much more likely to become a reality in my lifetime. The CBD needs a shot-in-the-arm - we have not seen any action in quite a while.

Edited by Guest

I love the old design, but I prefer the massing on the new one for this site. It's really sleek and the height will really help it stick out among Nashville's shorter, fatter towers. While the old one was truly state of the art, I think I'll take the height for perhaps Nashville's most prime real estate location. Plus, who knows, maybe once 505 CST, Sheet Music and the SoBro are built, Tony can use a similar design for another site.

• Like 1

Plus, who knows, maybe once 505 CST, Sheet Music and the SoBro are built, Tony can use a similar design for another site.

Great point. Also keep in mind that Tony is not the only developer in Nashville who can get things done. By the time these three are under construction I would be very surprised if we don't have several new players vying for space in the CBD. 

I'm not under the impression that Nashville is such a beggar. A little sister with bigger dreams than her inferiority complex can sometimes manage, maybe. But certainly no beggar.

And I would encourage you to consider the distinction between complaint and critique. (There is, after all, a marked difference.)

I understand the notion of yaytall, but I am far from a skyscraper enthusiast. (That's always seemed more SimCity than actual city.) 

I am, however, still a urban enthusiast, and I simply cringe at this (relatively simplistic) notion that taller means "more urban" and/or "progressive". There is an observable...trope in that zeal that overlooks the people element in urbanism, as if a skyline that looks good on post cards and in photos is synonymous with a lived-in and ideal urban environment.

Yes, I am thrilled that one more surface parking lot is destined to become a tax revenue generating edifice for people to live/work/play in. Oh, I am! 

I just ain't thrilled by this design. 

• Like 2

I'm not under the impression that Nashville is such a beggar. A little sister with bigger dreams than her inferiority complex can sometimes manage, maybe. But certainly no beggar.

And I would encourage you to consider the distinction between complaint and critique. (There is, after all, a marked difference.)

I understand the notion of yaytall, but I am far from a skyscraper enthusiast. (That's always seemed more SimCity than actual city.) 

I am, however, still a urban enthusiast, and I simply cringe at this (relatively simplistic) notion that taller means "more urban" and/or "progressive". There is an observable...trope in that zeal that overlooks the people element in urbanism, as if a skyline that looks good on post cards and in photos is synonymous with a lived-in and ideal urban environment.

Yes, I am thrilled that one more surface parking lot is destined to become a tax revenue generating edifice for people to live/work/play in. Oh, I am! 

I just ain't thrilled by this design. 

Point taken, and I agree for the most part. That being said, I do think the time is right for a new tallest in Nashville. And not just spires, a true fully formed building over the 500-600 benchmark. The demand is there, the empty parking lots scattered throughout downtown are there and the momentum in public appeal is definitely there. As I said, I applaud Tony G for having the impetus to work with the city et al and actually produce something, rather than stubbornly sitting on a hole in the ground for a decade. 

Also, zeal for something tall and striking on the skyline does not necessarily preclude true urbanism at the street level. By actually accomplishing building something like this where, essentially, nothing was before there will be a snowballing effect on the surrounding urban fabric. Consider the increased number of people living in the core this will bring, maybe now we will soon see some of those retail and entertainment niceties we've been desperately missing. 

I'm not sure how big the lot will be at street level in 505 for a true grocery store, but it's a nice thought and the shot in the arm needed to maybe make that happen somewhere nearby. I'd love to see a downtown super target, or something like that. Throw in a  movie theater, etc, who knows? Anyway I'm veering off into reverie here, haha, I apologize. 

Point taken, and I agree for the most part. That being said, I do think the time is right for a new tallest in Nashville. And not just spires, a true fully formed building over the 500-600 benchmark. The demand is there, the empty parking lots scattered throughout downtown are there and the momentum in public appeal is definitely there. As I said, I applaud Tony G for having the impetus to work with the city et al and actually produce something, rather than stubbornly sitting on a hole in the ground for a decade. 

Also, zeal for something tall and striking on the skyline does not necessarily preclude true urbanism at the street level. By actually accomplishing building something like this where, essentially, nothing was before there will be a snowballing effect on the surrounding urban fabric. Consider the increased number of people living in the core this will bring, maybe now we will soon see some of those retail and entertainment niceties we've been desperately missing. 

I'm not sure how big the lot will be at street level in 505 for a true grocery store, but it's a nice thought and the shot in the arm needed to maybe make that happen somewhere nearby. I'd love to see a downtown super target, or something like that. Throw in a  movie theater, etc, who knows? Anyway I'm veering off into reverie here, haha, I apologize. 

The Super Target you speak of needs to go on the West End Summit site.

• Like 2

The Super Target you speak of needs to go on the West End Summit site.

I like it. The giant parking garage is already there, put a huge mixed use development on top: retail, movie theater, restaurants. Add a residential tower over that. Hell, maybe even include office space in the tower. Boom.

It's not rocket science, it boggles my mind they can't get something built there.

Edited by NikOnder
  • Like 1

My only quibble about the current 505 CST proposal is that it doesn't have as much visual interest as I'd like to see from a new tallest tower. Otherwise, I think it will be a gorgeous residential tower particular if Smith + Gill (Burj Khalifa) are still the architects as they were with the original 505 proposal. As awesome as the previous 505 proposal was, I think we all now understand that it was going to be an extremely difficult sell with all the costly environmental advancements that would have been implemented.

I think Nashville will sort of follow Austin with its development of more tall residential towers than tall office towers. The obvious disadvantage to this is that we'll likely get less adventurous towers. That said, this is by no means an ugly residential tower and I'm a bit worried we're starting to become a little overly critical of many of our projects. I'm struggling to think of more than a few recent residential towers that I've seen stateside that even look this nice, tbh.

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 1

I agree with ariesjow, particularly with the first sentence.  I think that this proposal is only a disappointment in relation to the first design, which was truly iconic and groundbreaking, and would have put Nashville on the world stage as far as architecture and design is concerned.  I also think that this current design lacks any of the typical identifying features that one normally associates with a city's 'signature' tallest building.  No pun intended there, but actually, the Signature Tower proposal was a perfect example.  The height aside, one look at it's majestic crown and one knew it's place in the city's skyscraper hierarchy. 

This tower, in my opinion, is fairly mundane by comparison and doesn't really have any features that would catch your eye and would look more at home amongst Chicago's cluster of residential towers, than it does as the tallest building in a major city.  That all being said though, it is a very handsome and sleek design, and I'm thrilled it's coming closer to reality. 

Edited by BnaBreaker

^ Aqua in Chicago was actually the first tower I thought about when I saw this one. Honestly, this one reminds me of a thinner version of that tower without the undulating wave patterned balconies. I wish we had the balls to build a tower like that one, but it would have probably been a total love it/hate it sort of tower like our Batman Building.

• Like 2