Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Agreed, this would probably look nice and given the location probably have services above and beyond a standard Walgreens. Still though it will be absolutely worthless to downtown residents, save maybe people living in Encore.

Eventually there will be many more residents within a few blocks of this location, whether it be in Tony's SoBro building or some other, yet unannounced, development.  In the meantime, there are numerous residents in small clusters of apartments in the area AND the nearby hotel guests and revelers on Broadway will take advantage of the goods and services available at Walgreens.  I hope that any retail in the District will be open late nights and weekends OR 24 hours!

• Like 1

We would use it all the time... especially if it had 24-hour pharmacy. Currently we have to drive to the Charlotte location.

That being said, I do hope the location can lure a more appropriate enterprise for that prime location.

Nobody in the gulch or rolling mill hill is going to drive or walk all the way down there. The residential off church is closer to Walgreens on 5th. Jefferson St area has that Rite Aid at Rosa Parks intersection.

It is less than one mile from 11th and Demonbreun to the proposed Walgreens location.  I'm almost sixty years old and would not balk at walking that distance to a drug store or grocery.  I feel quite certain that most residents of the Gulch are much younger than myself.  A lifestyle in the city is all about being able to walk...when my work takes me to NYC, I've gladly walked from Central Park to my workplace near 8th Avenue and 35th Street.  Lots of folks do that every day!

It is less than one mile from 11th and Demonbreun to the proposed Walgreens location. I'm almost sixty years old and would not balk at walking that distance to a drug store or grocery. I feel quite certain that most residents of the Gulch are much younger than myself. A lifestyle in the city is all about being able to walk...when my work takes me to NYC, I've gladly walked from Central Park to my workplace near 8th Avenue and 35th Street. Lots of folks do that every day!

I'm not saying it would be physically difficult, but if I get home from work and remember I need toothpaste I'm not investing 30 minutes walking into that tourist trap and back, I'll do what I do now and drive to the Charlotte Walgreens. On the other hand if I get home and discover I am out of Makers I'll take 10 min and walk to Frugal and back. Frugal being optimally walkable and this new Walgreens being theoretically walkable but not practically walkable (from the Gulch in my case). I would agree with everyone on the 5th store having crap hours and add that based on personal experience the Rite Aid at Rosa Parks and Jefferson has an hours issue as well.

Your original comment said that it would be worthless to downtown residents. Obviously that's not what you really meant to say.

Okay of limited utility to a downtown resident who uses a would I walk that far for lunch if I had a 60 minute window limitus test to determine walkability.

I think it is going to take a while. There are several proposals out there and the Turnberry decision to make another entry into the Nashville market complicates things.

I do believe we will have some exciting projects announced that we know nothing about. Too many people taking notice now. We have to go buy our big boy clothes now, and maybe keep the cowboy hat off till night time.

• Like 1

Construction has started on the 24 hour diner. They are already getting ready to pour concrete forms in what is an excavated basement area that looks like it previously had a basement. The forms are set and the gravel base is already filled in.

This will be a welcomed addition to the downtown scene. Visited a 24hour 3-story diner/karoke bar in midtown ATL and it was a pretty cool concept. Had the karoke and bar on the 1st level, and restaurant on the 2nd and 3rd levels.

• Like 1

Don’t have an account at Nashville Post but per their post, Stalled Salemtown Cottages development slated to resume with Miken Development & HR Properties to take over the 24-home project.  

I wonder if they will put up a sound barrier wall as there are several new townhouses & renovations going up at the extreme north end.  

http://www.trulia.com/property/1068071256-1818-7th-Ave-N-Nashville-TN-37208

http://www.trulia.com/property/3139538498-1816-7th-Ave-N-Nashville-TN-37208  

Don’t have an account at Nashville Post but per their post, Stalled Salemtown Cottages development slated to resume with Miken Development & HR Properties to take over the 24-home project.  

I wonder if they will put up a sound barrier wall as there are several new townhouses & renovations going up at the extreme north end.  

http://www.trulia.com/property/1068071256-1818-7th-Ave-N-Nashville-TN-37208

http://www.trulia.com/property/3139538498-1816-7th-Ave-N-Nashville-TN-37208

I can help out here a little. The article does not mention anything about the sound barrier. That would be the responsibility of TDOT. You would have to check with them to see when and if the project is moving forward.

The gist of the story is this:

Miken Development bought out Aerial Development as far as the project goes and Aerial will no longer have a part here. Work is to resume very soon.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/4/10/stalled_salemtown_cottages_development_slated_to_resume

When I was visiting San Jose for a conference, I walked everywhere (mostly, rode the LRT a few times), including to Walgreens. Had to pay 10 cents if I wanted a bag, and it was paper. No plastic anywhere. About 0.6 miles. Approximately 12 minutes. The one proposed would be about 1 mile and 20 minutes (both one way). It'd be nice for convention goers and visitors.

Edited by timmay143