Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I hope we start seeing more quality projects like this all over Nashville. We need to put an end to a lot of the crap that is going up. I wish the historic overlays were in more areas.

I know that Historic is booked up with requests to create or expand Overlays.  I am booked up volunteering with Historic to help guide other neighborhood groups work through the process and I am coaching block captains.  Neighborhoods who want to create or expand Overlays are likely going to have to lobby their council members to support adding at least one FTE in this year's council budget process, which is taking place right now.

In addition to the Historic overlays, the Planning Commission has the Urban Design Overlay, and Planning is creating another type of overlay called a Contextual Overlay.  I testified in support of that one at last Thursday's Planning hearing, and that legislation is moving on to the Council.  I also testified in support of revised codes to put an end to umbilicals, and the Planning Commission passed that one as well.  We will see what happens at the Council level.  If the Council passes the anti-umbilical bill perhaps in June, we could see the last of those go up this year (building permits are valid for six months).

I hope we start seeing more quality projects like this all over Nashville. We need to put an end to a lot of the crap that is going up. I wish the historic overlays were in more areas.

I wish they would save some of the cool structures on Music Row instead of just allowing most everything to be wiped out.

• Like 1

Noticed a rehab permit on the Salemtown "No Dog" Building today (google streetview image: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.180378,-86.792956,3a,41.1y,71.5h,85.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1smrHmQ5Ff1yMd5oK7j0JuHg!2e0

I love this building, probably because I'm charmed by the no dog sign.  I believe that the Pharmacy/Butchertown Hall people were looking at this building before they settled on building on Van Buren.  Architecture looks very similar to the City House, and I think that it would be a great space for a business.  

Edited by Bezoar
  • Like 2

Noticed a rehab permit on the Salemtown "No Dog" Building today (google streetview image: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.180378,-86.792956,3a,41.1y,71.5h,85.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1smrHmQ5Ff1yMd5oK7j0JuHg!2e0

I love this building, probably because I'm charmed by the no dog sign.  I believe that the Pharmacy/Butchertown Hall people were looking at this building before they settled on building on Van Buren.  Architecture looks very similar to the City House, and I think that it would be a great space for a business.  

I saw that.  I have been hoping this building would be rehabed for some time. Not sure when it was built, but by the looks of it, I would say in the mid 1800s maybe a little sooner. It is in bad shape too. There are a few other old historic buildings in the area that really need to be saved before it is too late. Some are in pretty bad shape.

One of my favorites in Germantown.  I think it's been abandoned for some time.   Glad to see something happening with it.   I kind of hope it remains residential.  

One of my favorites in Germantown.  I think it's been abandoned for some time.   Glad to see something happening with it.   I kind of hope it remains residential.  

Good thing it is being rehabbed.  That structure is in neither the Germantown Historic Preservation District nor the Salemtown Conservation Zoning Overlay.  Somebody go thank those people for doing the right thing and keeping that building.

Ok here is a little of what I could not say yesterday. The Turnberry project at the UMP will be a mix of hotel and condo space with the investment being 300 million. Pre sales for the condos would start next year with construction starting in 2016. We still do not know how many buildings would be part of this development.

The article is behind the pay wall right now.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/4/15/florida_company_eyes_300m_project_for_key_sobro_site

• Like 1

Wow... that would really change that stretch of 8th Avenue from Demonbreun to the MCC Roundabout... with Turnberry and the proposed Westin project.  All of which brings to mind a question that I can't recall answered... is the pedestrian bridge over the railroad still "on"? 

Edited by MLBrumby

Wow... that would really change that stretch of 8th Avenue from Demonbreun to the MCC Roundabout... with Turnberry and the proposed Westin project.  All of which brings to mind a question that I can't recall answered... is the pedestrian bridge over the railroad still "on"? 

It is on hold till the council gets off their rear ends and gets the money.

Good thing it is being rehabbed.  That structure is in neither the Germantown Historic Preservation District nor the Salemtown Conservation Zoning Overlay.  Somebody go thank those people for doing the right thing and keeping that building.

Went by No Dog on my run this afternoon and stopped to look around.    Couple of observations.     Construction dumpsters are on site and things are moving.  

The crumbling lean-to and accumulated junk on the back side has been bulldozed away, leaving the brick historic structure.   On the back side, the structure is in pretty bad shape, with significant water damage and foundation issues, crooked doors, etc.   Hope it can be saved, but will take some work.  

It was mentioned above that the No Dog house is similar to City House.    It is and also similar to the two houses in the proposed 6th and Taylor project.

I noticed an old Zoning Hearing sign laying in the front yard.    The hearing was for March '13 and I remember seeing the sign at the time.    Was to discuss a conservation overlay.     Are you sure this property isn't in the CZO, or maybe it didn't pass approval at the hearing last year?   

Unrelated, does anyone know what is going in the old Little Fish market at 6th and Monroe?    Renovation is pretty far along. 

Unrelated, does anyone know what is going in the old Little Fish market at 6th and Monroe?    Renovation is pretty far along. 

It's going to stay Little's Fish Market - they're just renovating. There's a sign on their door, and if I recall correctly it says they'll be back open in May.

only four stories?

It's just a guess. Four stories of common space with two 20 to 30 story towers atop it. Again, this is a guess. The possible hotel would be a Fountainbleau Hotel. That seems to be their own brand as they have one in Miami and LasVegas if I remember correctly.

There would probably be below grade parking. Again I am just guessing, but it is a little over three acres. I am sure the folks at Cummins Station are sweating as I think this will include their parking lot.

I am attaching the MHZC docket for the 6th/Taylor proposal in Germantown  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/04%20April%2016/SR%206th%20and%20Taylor%20COMPLETE.pdf.  This will renovate two existing historic buildings to bring them back to being more like they were originally but will include more contemporary rear additions.  Then there will be a new office complex in the center and a residential townhome development in the rear.  All with a common courtyard. 

This is one of the most detailed dockets that I have ever read.  I am generally positive, but it will take some time to digest all of this detail.  The hearing takes place this coming Wednesday.

Outstanding news, thanks for the direct .pdf link

It's going to stay Little's Fish Market - they're just renovating. There's a sign on their door, and if I recall correctly it says they'll be back open in May.

ok, thanks.   it was a major interior renovation, gutted the building and ripped out/repoured the concrete floors, new windows, wiring, etc.      good to hear the fish business is going well!