Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I think we will know rather soon if Tony is 'partnering' with MDHA or if this is an 'eminent domain' situation. One item that concerns me is that another parking lot operator was chosen to manage the lot. I would think that Tony would want Premier parking to manage any lot/garage on his land or land that he willingly sells. Not a deal killer I guess but interesting. 

Since we all know that Tony G considers 505 Church his 'trophy' property I predict either a tacit partnership with MDHA to get a building on the property (in addition to the garage) or a a lawsuit from Tony. I can see no middle ground ...

Edited by Guest

I tend to agree, NB. But I also don't think MDHA would pursue that particular spot if there wasn't some sort of an agreement in place. For one, there are several surface parking lots with NO active proposals (literally right across the street, backing up to the First Tennessee property, for one, as well as a couple at 3rd and Church). 

The tone I get from the article doesn't seem to suggest an eminent domain takeover. I could be wrong, but to me it clearly states that they two sides have come to an agreement. Perhaps the agreement for someone else to manage the garage comes as a compromise so that there would be no (perceived) conflicts of interest (which would basically make it seem like MDHA was subsidizing a parking garage almost exclusively for his development).

• Like 2

You make good points about the other surface lots nearby.

I did not read where the article stated that the two sides have come to an agreement… can you point it out? It said that Tony was not available for a comment and then the rest of the article stated what MDHA planned to accomplish…. Now I agree with you that the 'tone' of the article implies that this deal is proceeding with Tony's approval…implied but not stated.

Regardless, Like I say I hope it is option 1 and we get a building on this surface lot!

Edited by Guest

Yes, implied...which is why I implore WW to talk to Tony.

The main reason I think it is implied is because MDHA is taking .8 acres of 1.22 acres. If they were taking this via eminent domain, then I would think they would take the whole lot. Why build an 8 story garage when you can build a 5 story garage to cover the same amount of parking?

• Like 1

1.22 acres. So...2/3 of the lot.

Oh wow! I didn't realize the lot was that small.

I gotta say, if Tony lets this property turn into a parking garage after all these proposals and all this time, It would be the biggest disappoint ever to me. Forget WES, this would be an epic fail IMO.

Here is an old quote from Tony back when the 505 CST proposal was announced.

Nashville developer Tony Giarratana doesn’t want just any building to take the place of a downtown parking lot his firm has owned for 20 years. On nearby sites he has built the city’s first high-rise apartments and condos, and its first “modern urban grocery store,” but 505 Church Street is a special case.

“This is the best site in the city,” said Giarratana, “so we feel that it needs to be something special.” 

Yeah....How special a parking garage would be... :sick:

It would be nice if Tony could negotiate a deal to where the city provides him incentives to help get one of his proposals going that obviously would include a substantial sized parking garage, and this would be a win win for both sides. 

This ordinance concerns me. The underlying principle seems that it is worth restricting the freedom of new business owners in order to further homogenize the types of land uses downtown in an effort to increase tourist spending. I am all for people visiting Nashville, but I don't think we should treat tourists as a protected class. 

• Like 3

There's currently a renovation/remodel almost completed on Arthur just north of 65 on the east side of Arthur that looks like it will be pretty well done. Shake shingles in the front eve, new fence, railing, landscaping. don't know if it will go up for sale or if it was done for someone who had all ready purchased the home.

Kudzu Homes has broken ground on a new construction on the west side of Arthur just south of Elizabeth Park and is about to begin a remodel on 14th N in Elizabeth Park.

Arthur rendering

http://kudzuhomes.com/4/post/2014/04/1633-arthur-avenue.html

14th N house

http://kudzuhomes.com/4/post/2014/04/1707-14th-avenue-north.html

• Like 1

Both local and out-of-state developers are starting to take notice of the old town area (between Union st. and Church st. from the riverfront park to 8th ave.) The potential opportunity for hotel and residential projects could give this zip a more European vibe with The Arcade and narrow alleyways. My wish would be they start with the surface parking lots.

you took the dream right out of my head...

There's currently a renovation/remodel almost completed on Arthur just north of 65 on the east side of Arthur that looks like it will be pretty well done. Shake shingles in the front eve, new fence, railing, landscaping. don't know if it will go up for sale or if it was done for someone who had all ready purchased the home.

Kudzu Homes has broken ground on a new construction on the west side of Arthur just south of Elizabeth Park and is about to begin a remodel on 14th N in Elizabeth Park.

Arthur rendering

14th N house

Good news, and glad to see some momentum building on that side of 65.   

Well said, Don.  I felt similarly when I read the article.  I mean, the historical people and business owners on Broad screamed when the Hyatt was proposed, and they would have preserved the facades (and improved them in some cases).  I realize that it's not exactly the same thing, but the effect of defeating that proposal is that now the whole block will be sold off piecemeal, and therefore subject to any possible use.

Just imagine how things in Nashville would look NOW if this type of restriction had been in place on the part of the city that was home to many of the tourist related businesses in the 70s and 80s...Demonbreun Street from I-40 to the current roundabout!  Same argument could have been made...protect the businesses and culture that bring tourists downtown from Opryland! Would it have been GOOD for Nashville to have kept Barbara Mandrell Country and the Minnie Pearl Museum & Gift Shop and all the other t-shirt and hat stores and NOT gotten the hotel, office and residential development along that stretch?  Sure, the historic built fabric element is completely different, but I find the restriction of businesses to the extent being proposed is shortsighted and perhaps downright foolish!  Seems to me that a mix of businesses would be a most desirable situation in the downtown district.

Totally agree.   The demographics of the area will dictate the types of businesses that will be successful.   Say what you want about Walgreens, but they know demographics and locate their stores where they know they will work.     

In my view, the current situation on Lower Broad is getting a bit too homogenous.    We've lost Gruhn Guitars and Hatch Showprint.  There's a risk of over-doing a good thing (that good thing being honky tonks and boots).      We need to be careful of the Gatlinburg-effect, meaning there is a certain type of tourist who can tolerate the plasticky, tourist trap atmosphere of endless souvenir, t-shirt and fudge shops and there are other types who will avoid that altogether.   Plus, who made the determination that a drug store is not a key part of the tourist mix?    It almost seems like it's an essential part of the mix.     What about other future uses?   a book store?   a bodega?  a bank?    a museum of African American Music?    

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 2

What intersection is this at exactly?

I think that is 9th and Cheatham if my memory serves me.

Arthur rendering

14th N house

Thanks for the updates. I need to get into the area and take a look.

I personally don't mind them having some pretty hardcore restrictions in that area.

Now...if it does become an anti-Walgreens restriction...then that's a different matter.  But I'd definitely think making Walgreens adhere to some pretty strict guidelines on Broadway is a no-brainer.  They plop down these cookie-cutter boxes all over the country on every corner, day after day.  If they want to be downtown, they need to be much more than their normal self.  They need to seamlessly fit into lower Broad.

• Like 3

This is right behind where I live, will keep up with the progress

Just spoke with the selling realtor Anthony Cherry.

First 4 homes will be 2 bed / 2.5 bath and will be done in September, he didnt flat out say it but sounds like all 4 are spoken for.

Full blown Marketing campaign starts first week of June 

3 bedrooms cottages will follow 

Also to note, the SE corner lot across the street recently sold and another home just like the green one will be built there.  

jMnhcOS.jpg

First 4 homes will be 2 bed / 2.5 bath and will be done in September, he didn't flat out say it but sounds like all 4 are spoken for.

Wow, that definitely bodes well for the neighborhood if that's the case.  Starting at $250k, right?