Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I personally don't mind them having some pretty hardcore restrictions in that area.

Now...if it does become an anti-Walgreens restriction...then that's a different matter. But I'd definitely think making Walgreens adhere to some pretty strict guidelines on Broadway is a no-brainer. They plop down these cookie-cutter boxes all over the country on every corner, day after day. If they want to be downtown, they need to be much more than their normal self. They need to seamlessly fit into lower Broad.

I know what you are saying about the typical suburban walgreens, but they have really stepped up their game lately. Some of the urban stores I have seen in other cities in recent years are truly in a different class. Very nice places with a very wide selection of items and trendy decor. Requiring them to make 75% of their inventory to be airbrushed t-shirts would make them walk away entirely.

I, for one, think this ordinance should be completely rejected. Down with the souvenir shops and let's increase the retail diversity in that area. As someone said before, the "Gatlinburg effect" is way too strong on Lower Broadway.

• Like 2

I personally don't mind them having some pretty hardcore restrictions in that area.

Now...if it does become an anti-Walgreens restriction...then that's a different matter.  But I'd definitely think making Walgreens adhere to some pretty strict guidelines on Broadway is a no-brainer.  They plop down these cookie-cutter boxes all over the country on every corner, day after day.  If they want to be downtown, they need to be much more than their normal self.  They need to seamlessly fit into lower Broad.

Agree and Walgreens has a poor track record locally about bulldozing historic sites (Jacksonian, for one).     The Trail West building is part of the block that obtained a historic overlay several years ago as a result of the Arkansas group's failed plans to build a Westin there.   Thankfully, that zoning remains in place and anything Walgreens or anyone else wants to do with those buildings will have to conform to those guidelines.   In that regard, it would be one of the more unique stores in their portfolio.        

How many Walgreen's do you need downtown? I assume this means they would close the current location, which is actually convenient to the people who work downtown.

I doubt it, they'd serve two different markets and the Broadway one will likely be an Experience store so have a lot more going on than a typical store.

I think this is appalling.  It's fine to have form(rather than function)-based restrictions and historical preservation in place, but the idea of not allowing anything but tourism-based businesses is short sighted and doesn't even help promote tourism.  I've had tourists ask me where a grocery store is.  I'm sure they'd use a Walgreens in that location, as would DT residents.   The whole walkable mixed use thing applies to visitors as well. 

• Like 4

I think this is appalling.  It's fine to have form(rather than function)-based restrictions and historical preservation in place, but the idea of not allowing anything but tourism-based businesses is short sighted and doesn't even help promote tourism.  I've had tourists ask me where a grocery store is.  I'm sure they'd use a Walgreens in that location, as would DT residents.   The whole walkable mixed use thing applies to visitors as well. 

I am with you.  Don't get me wrong:  I'm not excited about a Walgreens going on Broadway.  I think chains on Broadway are a waste of truly unique street frontage, and I lump Hard Rock Cafe and Margaritaville in those categories.  But I recognize that sentiment as my own opinion only and not as a basis for legislation.

I think that a Walgreens could be better located in the base of the Encore, for example, and better serve Sobro residents as well as visitors to MCC-area hotels.  But I can't see placing restrictions on which specific businesses can or can't go on Broadway other than certain adverse uses. 

And at least the Broadway location has historic regulations for building features and signage. 

I must confess, when CM Gilmore mentioned these two Overlays at the 05/06 Council Meeting I was hoping that she was referring to new/expanded historic overlays to protect what historic buildings are left in the Music Row and the Arcade areas.  But even historic overlays do not limit base zoning or use, just built form, height, materials, etc.

I haven't seen this bill come up on the 05/20 Council agenda just yet, so I will defer judgment until I have read the ordinance's language.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

I agree with Bret. I think SoBro is a better location for a Walgreens, as that will be the area with the highrise residential/hotels that would actually support it. And it would put a little more distance between it and the current location on 5th.

I also agree with Hard Rock and Margaritaville (and a few other places) detracting from the overall unique atmosphere of the District. People can experience those places in a variety of cities. They can't experience Tootsies, Roberts, Jack's, et al elsewhere.

• Like 1

I have wished for MANY YEARS to have a Walgreens/CVS/etc. to serve that area of downtown. So, I definitely welcome this - as a local Nashville resident. I am sure tourists will be more than glad to have this close by the hotels/MCC/etc.

- it does NOT have to be on Broadway, but it is a very good location for them. Encore base would still be a good location

- a government ordinance to restrict business types there .... good grief .... really???? shameful to a city that is trying to be "business-friendly"

- if you don't like chain stores, then hike your butt up 2nd Ave to the little store that charges $7 for a bottle of 5 aspirin. But they close at 7 pm

- yes, they should adhere to lower Broad designs and blend in. I doubt that would be an issue, but agree the requirement must be stated

People visit Nashville for Tootsie's, not Margaritaville. But they also visit BB Kings, Dicks' Last Resort, etc.

konichiwa!

• Like 1

So if I wanted to open a Dunkin donuts, what would I have to do to make it unique to Nashville? Sell Guitar shaped donuts and keychains and t-shirts, or have a live band on Fridays? This ordinance just isn't for Broadway, but 20 acres downtown! Are they serious??? It's not clear from the article if it would be just the Broadway, Second ave, and P-Alley areas.

From the article:

"Or, if it is a retailer, 75 percent of the store's products would have to be aimed at supporting the district's cultural heritage, including musicians, craftsmen or performance venues.

The district would include about 20 acres downtown and would cover parts of Broadway, Second Avenue North and Printer's Alley. The area includes the property Trail West occupies that is being targeted by the drugstore chain."

• Like 1

I found this map a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to share.  Perhaps this person should join our thread!

Yes... yes, maybe they should...

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/115749-nashville-development-map/

• Like 2

This one had already been announced... 200 more apartments in Terra House (from NBJ):  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/05/more-apartments-on-tap-for-rolling-mill-hill.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/05/more-apartments-on-tap-for-rolling-mill-hill.html?s=image_gallery

I will admit that I generally approve of Smith Gee's big building designs in town (clean lines, adequate-to-attractive windows, tall street fronts, and such).  However, I think they're putting out a whole lot of similar products.  Hope they can find appealing ways to mix it up. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

This one had already been announced... 200 more apartments in Terra House (from NBJ):  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/05/more-apartments-on-tap-for-rolling-mill-hill.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/05/more-apartments-on-tap-for-rolling-mill-hill.html?s=image_gallery

I will admit that I generally approve of Smith Gee's big building designs in town (clean lines, adequate-to-attractive windows, tall street fronts, and such).  However, I think they're putting out a whole lot of similar products.  Hope they can find appealing ways to mix it up. 

I can't keep up with the building names up there.   Is this the one that has already broken ground?    They've been blasting and moving rock on the large parcel that fronts Hermitage for several weeks now.    Actually, it's two parcels and the interior street separating them has been removed.    

I can't keep up with the building names up there.   Is this the one that has already broken ground?    They've been blasting and moving rock on the large parcel that fronts Hermitage for several weeks now.    Actually, it's two parcels and the interior street separating them has been removed.    

Not sure, but it sounds like the location as you've described it.  I believe it will front Hermitage just to the south/southeast of the Ryman Flats building. I am not sure of its orientation to the street either. 

Owners of Cummins Station bought the parking lot across the street from them where their tenants now park. It was sold to the by the UMPH, so the Turberry project will just be where the buildings are now along with the parking lot that fronts 8th. This bodes well for a lot more height from them and their 300 million dollar project.

This was behind the pay wall at the Post.

• Like 4

There are two items on the MHZC agenda for the May 21st hearing for Germantown. One is for 4th/Van Buren and one is for the 1300 block of Rosa Parks one block south of Werthan. The Rosa Parks one will be mixed use with a multi-story residential component in the rear but with three one-story retail stores coming out to meet Rosa Parks. I would attach links to the dockets but I can't figure out how to do that from the iPhone. I need a tutorial at the next forum meet.

There are two items on the MHZC agenda for the May 21st hearing for Germantown. One is for 4th/Van Buren and one is for the 1300 block of Rosa Parks one block south of Werthan. The Rosa Parks one will be mixed use with a multi-story residential component in the rear but with three one-story retail stores coming out to meet Rosa Parks. I would attach links to the dockets but I can't figure out how to do that from the iPhone. I need a tutorial at the next forum meet.

4th & Van Buren - Butchertown Hall, Right?

4th & Van Buren - Butchertown Hall, Right?

Morgan Park Place on the north side of the street. These are the remaining units from that development. All are three-story brick buildings. It looks like a three-unit building at NEC of 5th/Van Buren, another three-unit at NWC of 4th/Van Buren, and an additional two-unit building just north of that one on 4th. These all back up to that greenway there.

UPDATE:  Here is the link to the Morgan Park Place MHZC docket for this Wednesday's hearing  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/05%20May%2021/SR%204th%20and%20Van%20Buren.pdf.  More of the same for Germantown.  I mean that in the best possible sense.  One interesting item is that the vicinity map shows that this property was originally bisected by railroad lines/spurs that have since been removed.

Edited by bwithers1

Here is a link to the MHZC docket for 1320 Rosa Parks mixed-use in Germantown  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/05%20May%2021/SR%201320%20Rosa%20Parks%20revised.pdf.

I have some qualms about this one.  I need to read it in more detail.  It seems that the MHZC are doing their best with the site (they mention that the Rosa Parks garage entrance is "not ideal" and talk about steps taken to mitigate the damage), so as is often the case they are trying to get the best outcome from the Codes/Zoning regulations in place. 

Here are some of my qualms:

• I'm not sure why a 20-foot rear setback is needed off of the alley.  In Chicago, and in many other urban areas, the building would go all the way to the alley.  This rear setback may be a requirement of the base zoning.  If so, can the base zoning not be changed to allow more buildable space?  It's not like this is going to be greenspace.
  • Even the MHZC staff point out the problem with having a Rosa Parks driveway entrance.  The staff reports note that this arrangement is "not ideal" but point out that the northernmost retail outlet will wrap the driveway entrance and will effective have two street frontages and will read like a corner store.  Since the parking garage mainly enters from the rear alley, as it should, it is not possible to have an interior ramp to access the 2nd parking level?  Or perhaps the two parking decks are totally separate, with the alley one being for the residential component and the Rosa Parks one being for the retail?
  • I'm not crazy about the front setback, either.  Build it to the street!  I'm sure that's what MHZC would advocate.  Maybe that is another requirement of the base zoning.  Perhaps the three retail outlets will utilize that added street space to create a patio or something.
  • I'm also not crazy about that "notch" in between the 2nd and 3rd retail units.  What is the purpose of that?  Why not have one continuous surface facing the street?

I will welcome feedback from those who live in or know more about this area.  It seems to me that additional thought could have gone into the zoning piece to address some of those setback issues.  Is there a reason why an SP is not being pursued for this one?  The MHZC would still review the form/massing/materials.  I will want to read this docket in more detail.  There are a bazillion dockets for the May MHZC hearing.

• Like 1