Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Anybody have a subscription to the NP that can read what this article is talking about? I'm curious as to what it says about Giarratana's 5th & Church tower. It say's "Pedestrian-oriented spot awaits facility that might accompany Giarratana tower" while talking about the parking garage for the 5th & Church property.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/5/19/pros_planned_mdha_garage_will_need_to_respect_key_intersection

Here is a link to the MHZC docket for 1320 Rosa Parks mixed-use in Germantown  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/05%20May%2021/SR%201320%20Rosa%20Parks%20revised.pdf.

I have some qualms about this one.  I need to read it in more detail.  It seems that the MHZC are doing their best with the site (they mention that the Rosa Parks garage entrance is "not ideal" and talk about steps taken to mitigate the damage), so as is often the case they are trying to get the best outcome from the Codes/Zoning regulations in place. 

Here are some of my qualms:

• I'm not sure why a 20-foot rear setback is needed off of the alley.  In Chicago, and in many other urban areas, the building would go all the way to the alley.  This rear setback may be a requirement of the base zoning.  If so, can the base zoning not be changed to allow more buildable space?  It's not like this is going to be greenspace.
  • Even the MHZC staff point out the problem with having a Rosa Parks driveway entrance.  The staff reports note that this arrangement is "not ideal" but point out that the northernmost retail outlet will wrap the driveway entrance and will effective have two street frontages and will read like a corner store.  Since the parking garage mainly enters from the rear alley, as it should, it is not possible to have an interior ramp to access the 2nd parking level?  Or perhaps the two parking decks are totally separate, with the alley one being for the residential component and the Rosa Parks one being for the retail?
  • I'm not crazy about the front setback, either.  Build it to the street!  I'm sure that's what MHZC would advocate.  Maybe that is another requirement of the base zoning.  Perhaps the three retail outlets will utilize that added street space to create a patio or something.
  • I'm also not crazy about that "notch" in between the 2nd and 3rd retail units.  What is the purpose of that?  Why not have one continuous surface facing the street?

I will welcome feedback from those who live in or know more about this area.  It seems to me that additional thought could have gone into the zoning piece to address some of those setback issues.  Is there a reason why an SP is not being pursued for this one?  The MHZC would still review the form/massing/materials.  I will want to read this docket in more detail.  There are a bazillion dockets for the May MHZC hearing.

RE:  setback in the front - Parking for retail? No parking options on Rosa Parks, and I'm sure the neighboring crematorium wouldn't take kindly to having these retail customers park in their lot. 

Morgan Park Place on the north side of the street. These are the remaining units from that development. All are three-story brick buildings. It looks like a three-unit building at NEC of 5th/Van Buren, another three-unit at NWC of 4th/Van Buren, and an additional two-unit building just north of that one on 4th. These all back up to that greenway there.

UPDATE:  Here is the link to the Morgan Park Place MHZC docket for this Wednesday's hearing  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/05%20May%2021/SR%204th%20and%20Van%20Buren.pdf.  More of the same for Germantown.  I mean that in the best possible sense.  One interesting item is that the vicinity map shows that this property was originally bisected by railroad lines/spurs that have since been removed.

These will be a nice addition.    That 3 or 4 block area is getting incredibly dense. 

RE:  setback in the front - Parking for retail? No parking options on Rosa Parks, and I'm sure the neighboring crematorium wouldn't take kindly to having these retail customers park in their lot. 

I believe it is probably set back on the front to mimic the setback of Werthan.

Anybody have a subscription to the NP that can read what this article is talking about? I'm curious as to what it says about Giarratana's 5th & Church tower. It say's "Pedestrian-oriented spot awaits facility that might accompany Giarratana tower" while talking about the parking garage for the 5th & Church property.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/5/19/pros_planned_mdha_garage_will_need_to_respect_key_intersection

Oh, the suspense! I'm almost tempted to dump a hundred bucks just so I can read this article... Almost.

I think the headline pretty much means it's indefinite.  "May" "Might" "Can" "Could" "Should" "Would". 

Yeah, I get that part out of the headline. But what about the part where it says MDHA will need to respect key intersection, and the part talking about the pedestrian-orientated spot that awaits some facility that could accompany Giarratana tower? 

There is a lot more to this story than just Giarratana may build a tower. It seem's like there might be some info about what each party expects out of the deal and what's being negotiated, as well as maybe some info on what Tony's future plans for the site are. 

Found the updated plans for the West Riverfront Park - Amphitheatre...thanks to the Nashville Ledger

Metro unveils final design for West Riverfront Park

http://www.nashvilleledger.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=73398

As we can see, the design of the amphitheatre definitley changed..not sure for the good or the worst. The previous rendering was definitley no bueno. Still do not know why they will not move the amphitheatre closer to the pedestrian bridge, where they have space for "the Green". Seems like a use of wasted space. They could make the "Bowl bigger" and increase the number of people for the theatre. Hate it that the Railroad tracks separates the park from the river. I guess we will have better access to the river on the East bank development.

Overall, I think it will be an added asset to downtown and our city.

From the article:

"The park will include more than one mile of multi-use greenway trails, Nashville’s first downtown dog park, ornamental gardens, a 1.5-acre event lawn called the Green and an amphitheater. Construction on the park began earlier this year."

13136.jpg?id=13136&maxWidth=49013135.jpg?id=13135&maxWidth=490

13134.jpg?id=13134&maxWidth=490

13137.jpg?id=13137

1377634439-screen_shot_2013-08-27_at_12.Previous rendering.

Edited by nashmoney

I like it. 

It is ridiculous that "Music City" did not have an amphitheatre in a prominent location dowtown. I think that it is nicely done. However I agree on the point regarding the space behind the amphitheatre... seems like we could have larger concerts if the amphitheatre was built closer to the bridge. 

Found the updated plans for the West Riverfront Park - Amphitheatre...thanks to the Nashville Ledger

Metro unveils final design for West Riverfront Park

http://www.nashvilleledger.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=73398

As we can see, the design of the amphitheatre definitley changed..not sure for the good or the worst. The previous rendering was definitley no bueno. Still do not know why they will not move the amphitheatre closer to the pedestrian bridge, where they have space for "the Green". Seems like a use of wasted space. They could make the "Bowl bigger" and increase the number of people for the theatre. Hate it that the Railroad tracks separates the park from the river. I guess we will have better access to the river on the East bank development.

Overall, I think it will be an added asset to downtown and our city.

Good find.  I do like the new design better.    It's not spectacular but it's definitely better that the leaning concrete slaps of the first design.    Looks like the materials on the redesign will be stone, which will be a nice touch.        

I also question the position of the stage in the center.    I was on the Shelby ped bridge recently and it occurred to me that one reason for siting the stage where they have MIGHT be (totally guessing here) to avoid people on the bridge doing "disruptive things" during concerts.   If the stage were closer to the bridge, fans in the front rows would be within throwing distance of someone on the bridge with a decent arm.    That's not a possiblity with the stage going in where it is.    Just a thought.  

Curious about the poles in middle of the bowl.    Why would there need to be poles out there blocking views?    

Still, the new design seems like an improvement.    I think we're going to like this park.      

Edited by CenterHill

I think we all collectively agree, this is the best takeaway from the Spectrum article...

“All of that is subject to change as we wrap up this concept phase,” Emery said.
  • Like 2

A glimmer of hope for a redesign.   Please, please, please...

Emery said the project is still in the concept phase and that he expects drawing to start in June, once agreements with the different parties are finalized.

Here is the extremely detailed MHZC docket for the mixed-use project at 1235 5th Ave N (SWC of 5th Ave N/Monroe) in Germantown  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/05%20May%2021/SR%201235%205th%20Avenue%20North.pdf

John Root is the architect.  I LOVE the way that this one addresses the corner similar to some of the other historic commercial/residential buildings.  I also love the detailing in the brick.  Fantastic.  This isn't 2nd Empire, but I'll bet FMDJ will still like this one.  Just goes to show the value of having strict design guidelines (Germantown is the more restrictive Historic Preservation District) to place quality control measures on what can be built in one of Nashville's most desirable areas. 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 4

Here is the extremely detailed MHZC docket for the mixed-use project at 1235 5th Ave N (SWC of 5th Ave N/Monroe) in Germantown  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/05%20May%2021/SR%201235%205th%20Avenue%20North.pdf

John Root is the architect.  I LOVE the way that this one addresses the corner similar to some of the other historic commercial/residential buildings.  I also love the detailing in the brick.  Fantastic.  This isn't 2nd Empire, but I'll bet FMDJ will still like this one.  Just goes to show the value of having strict design guidelines (Germantown is the more restrictive Historic Preservation District) to place quality control measures on what can be built in one of Nashville's most desirable areas. 

Great project!  I'll take designs like this all day long.   

One feature I like is the partial basement.    I couldn't tell from the description if the basement will be an additional floor of residential or what the use will be.    We have very little of that in Nashville.   You see it everywhere in DC, like around DuPont Circle.   

This, along with the Luxus across the street, will really transform the street.    If you haven't seen it recently, the Luxus is an incredible looking project.    Similar attention to detail and masonry.    

I'm okay with the amphitheater redesign.  I still think that this could and should be much more than simply a somewhat generic looking amphitheater surrounded by empty lawns and randomly meandering sidewalks, at least for such a prominent location, but it's definitely an improvement over what we had seem previously.