Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Farmer's market to ban re-sold products I always thought it was a little bit of a sham that vendors at the FM were selling tropical fruits while sitting beside a "Pick Tennessee Products" sign.  This is a good move.  

This is fantastic news. I still remember the first time I went to the FM and being really confused by all of the socks and cheap t-shirts when I was expecting farmers and produce. I think this will make a massive positive difference in the market within a few years.

Farmer's market to ban re-sold products I always thought it was a little bit of a sham that vendors at the FM were selling tropical fruits while sitting beside a "Pick Tennessee Products" sign.  This is a good move.  

I agree that the produce and flowers should be local, but I disagree with kicking Flea Market vendors out. Growing up in the area - before it was hip and cool - the flea market has always been a part of the Nashville Farmers Market, even when it was on the other end of Bicentennial in open air tents. If the vendors pay their rent and don't sell knock off items, why should they have to move. I love going to the Asian couple tha has the $1 bins of little household items and wudknots. Many of these people make their livelihood at the Flea Market and displacing them because of a "few" that do not like cheaply made items is a shame. That's what a Flea Market is - I would rather have these vendors at a facility where they pay montly rent/taxes, than to have them posted up on the side of a road or in vacant lot selling their items, because that is what's going to happen. 

So the Market will be displacing 50+ vendors in the flea market for a handful of "artisan" vendors that will sell $10 handmade soap, $20 soy made candles, and $30 hand-made scarfs. I'm all for supporting local-made products, but not everyone likes those type of things. Being that the market is located in a historically and predominantly black zip code, I would think they would want to cater to all residents - not just the folks in the new apartments, condos, and million dollar shotgun houses.

Their is plenty of space at the facility for everyone to coexist. They have already gone up on their rents three-fold now I guess this the last straw to kick them out.

From the comments on Trip advisor and Yelp - didn't find hardly any complaing about the flea market part

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nashville-farmers-market-nashville

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55229-d267112-Reviews-Nashville_Farmers_Market-Nashville_Tennessee.html

From the Market website:

http://nashvillefarmersmarket.org/about/about

The Nashville FarmersMarket (NFM) is home to farmers, artisans, restauranteurs, and local business merchants throughout the year. We are divided into three distinct areas--each supporting locally owned & operated businesses.

• Our South Farm Sheds consists of two large covered sheds and a middle market area home to anywhere from five to one hundred farmers, artisans, & merchants.All year round, you will find ranchers, bakers, prepared foods, milk, cheese & more-especially on our busiest days Friday-Sunday. For our farmers & produce merchants--the busiest season is "growing season" approximately May-November each year. Beginning in April you will find early spring produce which, weather-willing, gradually develops into "peak season" in which you'll find the largest variety of locally-grown foods to November which closes out our produce with the last of late harvest. Seven days/week, 362 days per year-you can purchase produce, jams, honey, canned goods, and more from five locally-owned & operated businesses who have been at NFM for generations.
  • Our Market House consists of 15 restaurants & shops offering;gourmet pizza by Bella Nashville, traditional chinese cuisine with Green Asia, El Burrito's mexican dishes made with fresh Market ingredients, Butter Cake Babe's Coffee Cafe, Sloco sandwich shop by James Beard-honored local chef, author, and "Chopped" Champion, Chef Jeremy Barlow, an International Market, Guy Fierie's fave-- Jamaicaway, southern comfort with B&C Market BBQ, southern Indian cuisine by Swagruha, Greek & salad bar by Chicago Gyro, cupcakes & so much more by The Sweet Stash, cajun flavors from Nooley's, breakfast, burgers, & more by Farmers Deli & Grille, made-to-order crepes from Music City Crepes, Korean-style sushi & more from Leo Sushi, local & regional craft brew pub, The Picnic Tap and beginning November 2014-Batch Nashville bringing the best of local offerings to you daily for shop or ship, .
  • NFM's Grow Local Kitchen inside our Market House offers culinary classes throughout the year, opportunities to rent our kitchen for food production, "pop-up" restaurants, and catering made with fresh market ingredients. To learn more visit our Grow Local Kitchen site.
  • Flea Market is open Friday-Sunday only and is home to up to 50 merchants selling everything from handcrafted pottery & jewelry to home goods, and clothing.
  • Like 2

By the way, from a few weeks ago....

DSCN1838_zps5c5c9fa2.jpg

....the former 'La Cucaracha Motel' (just kidding) at Union Street and Seventh (pay by the hour) (I jest) (but, not much) has been renovated and looks a little more presentable as it faces the State Capitol. It is the 'Capitol Hotel and has a Cafe Fuzion which used to be a Huddle House.

A Tennessee Presidential Museum built in a classic style would have been nice at this location since it was the original site of James K. Polk's home.

^As was mentioned, Mayor Fulton favored reconstructing Polk Place back in the late '70s. It would have to be done on a smaller chunk of property, since the estate sat on an area that went beyond just the current motel itself. Ironically, even the Polk Flats Apartment building that was constructed after the demolition around 1901 or so, was architecturally worthy as well (which eventually fell for the current motel), even if it should never have been built at that location.

• Like 1

I was just unaware (until now) that one of our US Presidents lived and was buried downtown.  I realize now he only lived there for a couple of years...but he and his wife still owned the home and wanted it given to the state to keep...but it sure didn't work out that way.  Just sad.  That has to be one of the biggest losses in this city.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

Most of us have witnessed the current structure's name change as often as the weather.  It was a "modern sensation" for the capital city, when it first opened as the Downtowner Motor Inn in 1960.  But it was still an empty lot, when I first used the old Carnegie Library on the site just west of it across Polk St, and razed for the now abandoned Ben West Library.  IIRC, the Downtowner had been the only motor hotel in the immediate center of the CBD at that time, a new Holiday Inn having been another but larger complex, located on the current site of the Andrew Johnson State Office Bldg. (Eighth Ave [Rosa Parks Blvd.] and Jas. Robertson Pkwy).  Other than being "reconstituted" with a contemporary facade as the Capitol In, as featured courtesy of PhofKS's in a recent post, maintaining that thing as a motor inn in its current location has been a travesty of land use, IMO.

For those who can remember the CBS Sunday evening TV show, Candid Camera aired a feature outside the Downtowner in late 1963, early '64 (although I forget what the stunt was).

DowntownerMotorInn_zps29449ab4.jpg

-==-

Gee whiz, that was such a wonderfully tacky motel. I remember walking past when it still had that "ornate" concrete walls along the street, since replaced. It was unfortunate that the old Carnegie Library couldn't have been kept (and/or expanded) instead of demolished for the Ben West. If I remember correctly, both Polk Flats and the Carnegie were built around the same time (c1900) as they were both on the Polk Place Estate lot. However, I heard a story, I forget from whom, that mentioned that the Carnegie was not in the best of shape by the '50s or early '60s and that the main floor (made of old wood) collapsed through at one point, which was likely provided the impetus to go ahead and build a whole new structure.

• Like 1

Such a loss.

The monument in the foreground at right appears to be Polk's tomb, which today sits on the east side of the capitol grounds.    I'm guessing it was relocated when the mansion was demolished.     Anyone know for sure?  

Good to finally see some development activity on this side of 11th.   That area in the crosshairs of Grundy and 12th between Broadway and Church is a sea of vacant lots and sturdy masonry buildings.    Meanwhile, the Gulch and North Gulch continue to explode all around it.   I hope we see things start to pick up down there.    Expect we will as Capitol View starts taking shape. 

As for this project, I applaud the reuse of the building.    Not crazy about retaining the surface parking fronting 11th.      

Good to finally see some development activity on this side of 11th.   That area in the crosshairs of Grundy and 12th between Broadway and Church is a sea of vacant lots and sturdy masonry buildings.    Meanwhile, the Gulch and North Gulch continue to explode all around it.   I hope we see things start to pick up down there.    Expect we will as Capitol View starts taking shape. 

As for this project, I applaud the reuse of the building.    Not crazy about retaining the surface parking fronting 11th.      

I remember back when I was a Vandy, and we would go to 12th and Porter... to be in that little area which at the time had just 12&P and (sometimes) that place across 12th, which became Pub of Love... and what I think is now Chauhan Ale and Masala House... but the whole area being below grade to most of downtown was so perfectly suited to a collection of bars in little crisscrossing alleys (a'la Underground Atlanta). No doubt, the groups who own much of the property between Church and Broadway in the gulch will eventually replace a lot of those old warehouses and retail buildings with office/mixed use.  But it would be great if those little crooked alleys could be retained, and as much of those buildings saved as would be feasible. Even a development that integrates the Church Street level with multiple "pedestrian only" tiers of retail/restaurant activity in multiple levels all the way down to the 11th/Porter/12 (et.al.) level.  That would be something unique among cities in the USA. 

• Like 2