Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

FYI. Had 6 small bushes stolen out front of my house on Athur this evening. Even though it was well lit between 8-11pm.

Wow - sorry to hear about that. I'm new to the forum but bought a house on Arthur Ave two years ago. We're thinking about doing some landscaping work, so I'll keep this in mind! 

Welcome to the forum bmw. i have a suggestion for you guys.....plant cactus.. that will stop them and they dont use water.

Before the Metro trash cans were started during the early 2000s, I've had dented metal garbage cans stolen with stuff in 'em.  If you got something you want to get rid of, just set it out in the yard and put a sign on it to read "for sale".  Guaran-darn-teed to be gone in a NY minute....

-==-

BMW, you don't happen to be friends with Tim Bartlett do you?

Yes I am - he helepd me look for a house in Germantown & East Nashville before we found this place on Arthur. He mentioned that he recently helped someone buy a house on Arthur within the past month. I've enjoyed reading the forum as a guest for the past year and glad I finally joined. There's a lot of good info that gets shared on this site.

Welcome to the forum bmw. i have a suggestion for you guys.....plant cactus.. that will stop them and they dont use water.

Thanks for the welcome Smeagol - I really appreciate all the info that you provide on this forum. I don't think my wife will support the cactus idea - but I'll try! 

Thanks for the welcome Smeagol - I really appreciate all the info that you provide on this forum. I don't think my wife will support the cactus idea - but I'll try! 

You also might consider the popular and attractive old-school boxwood shrub, which in some historic areas are grown bunched linearly to be cultivated and trained as hedges.  Although very pretty shrubs, they can have a strong odor that has that funky stink like cat urine.

So you want to make sure that you have some good AC in the summers, because you might not want to ventilate with an incoming whiff across these bushes with the windows open.  But they might steal even them, since they're pretty when small and young.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

FYI. Had 6 small bushes stolen out front of my house on Athur this evening. Even though it was well lit between 8-11pm.

BTW, were these in the ground yet, or waiting to be planted? Some people i work with mentioned that they knew somebody that had plants stolen out of the ground. Infuriating. Sorry you've had a bad experience after just moving in.

The Formosa Wang property sold. There should be movement on this project soon.

From the Post and will come off the Pay Wall soon.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/1/23/kc_developer_aquires_germantown_site_for_65m

This sale includes both the Formosa site, as well as the warehouse at 3rd and monroe?

I wonder if Cumberland Machine Co will be tempted to sell after this?

The Formosa Wang property sold. There should be movement on this project soon.

From the Post and will come off the Pay Wall soon.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/1/23/kc_developer_aquires_germantown_site_for_65m

Just wondering if this was already on the UP.org "radar".  Has a project been mentioned?  Or announced with this sale?  Certainly, the amount of money involved would portend a bigger investment there. 

This sale includes both the Formosa site, as well as the warehouse at 3rd and monroe?

I wonder if Cumberland Machine Co will be tempted to sell after this?

We have been talking about this one for a while now.  The warehouse at the northwest corner of 3rd and Monroe is going to be the PDG project.  That SP will cover the entire 2/3rds of the block from 3rd to 4th north of Monroe.  The SP was approved by Planning and the development went before the Metro Historic Zoning Commission seeking approval of the site plan and massing.  The massing that was approved by the MHZC was to have up to five stores on the 3rd Ave side, 4 stories on the Monroe side, and 3 stories on the 4th Ave side to taper down toward the historic buildings in the interior of the neighborhood.  CM Gilmore then passed that SP at Council on 3rd reading, I believe. 

• Like 2

I go from being very excited about the new Amphitheatre to being very disappointed.. Seems like a huge missed opportunity (both in design and capacity), but if the alternative is nothing then I suppose its ok..

DSC_0033.JPG?format=1000w&storage=local

I'll hold my judgements until the project is completed. Kind of hard now in my opinion to get a clear idea of the finished product. I agree, it's better than what was there. Just looking at the picture I'm in awe of how much SoBro and The Gulch have changed. The picture looks like it could be a mini skyline of a small city and its still growing. Just Imagine when the SoBro, Bridgestone Hdqtrs., Westin, and hopefully JW Marriott are complete. Going to an impressive view. Amazing how much a difference 10 years can make Edited by bruceman73
  • Like 3

I go from being very excited about the new Amphitheatre to being very disappointed.. Seems like a huge missed opportunity (both in design and capacity), but if the alternative is nothing then I suppose its ok.. 

DSC_0033.JPG?format=1000w&storage=local

What's disappointing is that IF they find out along the way that they built the venue too small...there's no way to expand because of the bridge.  If they had built the stage near the north end and had the park on the KVB bridge end, they could have always used the park end as overflow...or even expanded there and got rid of the park.

Oh well.  Too late now.

I'm somewhat baffled about the discussions of the size/capacity of the amphitheater that have happened in this thread.  The size is what was announced from the earliest plans. It was never meant to compete with Bridgestone.  Two years later most people on this thread seem shocked it is coming in at the announced size.  As for the aesthetics and practicality of the design, how can anyone tell at this stage?  It looks pretty good to me.

• Like 4

I'm somewhat baffled about the discussions of the size/capacity of the amphitheater that have happened in this thread.  The size is what was announced from the earliest plans. It was never meant to compete with Bridgestone.  Two years later most people on this thread seem shocked it is coming in at the announced size.  As for the aesthetics and practicality of the design, how can anyone tell at this stage?  It looks pretty good to me.

I don't think anyone is surprised.  We've been lamenting the size ever since it was announced the capacity was under 7000.

I don't believe that readers necessarily and consciously believe that the capacity of the amphitheater is intended to match or target the same audiences as a venue as Bridgestone.  I do believe that the concern stems from the uncertainty of being able to handle the type and capacity of crowds which have materialized during the recent decade, ever increasing in popularity for outdoor, open-air entertainment, especially since it's to be very convenient to West-bank tourists and within spitting distance of most watering holes and DT shopping, CMHoFM, and other special-interest sites in DT (without having to trek up and over a bridge to and from the East-bank).

Not to mention the sprouting and mushrooming of hotel-, dwelling-, and corporate construction at previously unprecedented levels, in the CBD, from where it can be anticipated a relatively sizable need of capacity to accommodate audiences from a high number of people who live, work, and tour downtown,  open-air entertainment DT is becoming increasingly popular with people who for these reasons already are DT and who will be filling DT, year by year.  I do agree that the amphitheater is a best use of that remaining land, once again made available, rather than being occupied by a private development.  With this, though, needs to be some infrastructure improvement for a reliable facility to permit continuous passage for non-motorists into and away from the immediate vicinity.  That's where a change needs to evolve with Metro's planning process as a whole.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3