Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Sounds as if it's more than lukewarm for a change.  The old Sears building (.a.k.a, "Gold and Silver Co", "TennCare") on the new site has become more and more of an eyesore (and eyesour), the foundation of which has been determined years ago to be sinking, and its walls no longer remaining plumb, rendering it structurally unstable.  While I do not foresee the Kefauver Bldg, getting razed, it would be a shame to not at least repurpose that massive granite and limestone structure (as mentioned in a long previous post).  The original Kefauver Bldg. (without that tacked on expansion - the Court Library) can be considered early (post-war) "PostModerne", with simplified or highly reduced ornamentation, while eclectically retaining the use of conventional exterior materials.

I would hope that both it and the Lifeway's Sullivan Tower (very recently mentioned in a revived discussion by Lifeway to locate a buyer for its "campus") could be integrated into the ongoing and concurrent wave of core re-development ─ possibly becoming converted into apartments or condos, just as was just done for the much smaller former Federal Reserve Bldg "fortress" on Rosa Parks Blvd.  I have no idea of what the floor plan of the Kefauver is, although I suspect that cubic spaces are rather "smallish", unless a lot of open-aire exists between columns on each floor (which indeed would permit custom re-partitioning along with massive utility mods).  I doubt the courthouse would retain the Kefauver as an annex, if the new campus location would suffice for long-term projections.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

Pleased, but I do hope a complete redesign or at a minimum a refresh is considered....I will have to see the final product every time I look at my windows.

Where are you situated?  In Bennie Dillon or in Walter Nipper's?  Or are in that building caddy-cornered and located between Rosa Parks / Jas. Rob and 9th Ave. (where the Ledger is)?

I live in the Westview next to Walter Nipper's.

Where are you situated?  In Bennie Dillon or in Walter Nipper's?  Or are in that building caddy-cornered and located between Rosa Parks / Jas. Rob and 9th Ave. (where the Ledger is)?

Lived here since the residential conversion back in '05. Great building and more importantly great neighbors. We really love The Westview but we are ready for this side of downtown to see some activity. With the Courthouse now inching along, Lifeway (15 Acres) in play, and the Ben West Library building and parking lot accepting proposals I think the fuse has been lit. 

Lived here since the residential conversion back in '05. Great building and more importantly great neighbors. We really love The Westview but we are ready for this side of downtown to see some activity. With the Courthouse now inching along, Lifeway (15 Acres) in play, and the Ben West Library building and parking lot accepting proposals I think the fuse has been lit. 

I think that corner of downtown has so much potential.  Actually, I think that little four building stretch from your building south to Commerce St. might be my favorite in the whole city.  Each building is just so eclectic in it's own way...it makes for a really interesting pedestrian experience.  Hopefully if the SBC decides to sell it's site you guys on that end of downtown will get a much deserved influx of amenities.

• Like 1

The garage coming down will dent the vibe (but hopefully be developed very soon) but more importantly my oldest son turns 16 this year and that was to be his parking. ha
The Frost Bank building is a personal favorite. I am glad to see activity in the building with the 20/20 takeover. 

The garage coming down will dent the vibe (but hopefully be developed very soon) but more importantly my oldest son turns 16 this year and that was to be his parking. ha

The Frost Bank building is a personal favorite. I am glad to see activity in the building with the 20/20 takeover. 

Is the garage the one right next to Westview?  I'm actually just going off of what I see on google street view.  ha...If so, I imagine it's not a huge loss, especially if, as you suspect, it is developed quickly.  If any developer so much as makes a chip in the brick on either of the other two though, I'll be so disappointed.  Both of those are absolute treasures.

312 Broadway is under renovation to the point they puled up the floor and revealed the crawl space. They unearthed some artifacts including old apothecary bottles, shoes, and a piece of gearing. They were sitting inside the window as I peered in. It looks as if they are saving the artifacts for a museum or a collector.

Does anyone know what if going in here?

It's being renovated for a new honky tonk/restaurant. The plans are out there on the metro HZC site.

312 Broadway is under renovation to the point they puled up the floor and revealed the crawl space. They unearthed some artifacts including old apothecary bottles, shoes, and a piece of gearing. They were sitting inside the window as I peered in. It looks as if they are saving the artifacts for a museum or a collector.

Does anyone know what if going in here?

I was wondering, what else do you guys think we need downtown in the way of recreation / sight-seeing / tourist attraction / night-out type venues?  We have the honky-tonks.  We have the CMHoF.  The Frist art museum.  Soon will have the African American Music Museum.  Bridgestone Arena for hockey and concerts.  Schemmerhorn for symphony and opera.  TPAC for Broadway shows.  Titans stadium for football and large concerts / festivals.  Riverfront, Courthouse green and new amphitheater for concerts and events.  Sounds stadium on the north side for baseball.  

What are we missing?

Technically not Germantown, but adjacent by way of crossing the river... at Cowan and Spring streets... Top Golf to build a 65,000 gaming center on the 22.6 acres at the northwest corner. From Getahn Ward at the Tennessean...  http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/02/04/topgolf-seeks-rezoning-germantown-area-site/22884845/

List accompanying article... 

Topgolf has 16 locations worldwide

United Kingdom (3 within an easy drive from London)

Phoenix (2 -- Scottsdale and Gilbert)

2 in Dallas ( 2-- Dallas and The Colony)

Houston (2 -- Spring and Katy)

Austin (1)

Allen, Texas (1)

San Antonio (1)

Chicago (1 -- Wood Dale)

Alexandria, Va. (1)

Atlanta (1 -- Alpharetta)

Tampa (1- Brandon)

SOURCE: Topgolf

Edited by MLBrumby

Top Golf is building across the river at NWC of Cowan and Spring streets. 

per Getahn Ward at the Tennessean...   http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/02/04/topgolf-seeks-rezoning-germantown-area-site/22884845/

Topgolf has 16 locations worldwide

United Kingdom (3 within an easy drive from London)

Phoenix (2 -- Scottsdale and Gilbert)

2 in Dallas ( 2-- Dallas and The Colony)

Houston (2 -- Spring and Katy)

Austin (1)

Allen, Texas (1)

San Antonio (1)

Chicago (1 -- Wood Dale)

Alexandria, Va. (1)

Atlanta (1 -- Alpharetta)

Tampa (1- Brandon)

SOURCE: Topgolf

Edited by MLBrumby

I was wondering, what else do you guys think we need downtown in the way of recreation / sight-seeing / tourist attraction / night-out type venues?  We have the honky-tonks.  We have the CMHoF.  The Frist art museum.  Soon will have the African American Music Museum.  Bridgestone Arena for hockey and concerts.  Schemmerhorn for symphony and opera.  TPAC for Broadway shows.  Titans stadium for football and large concerts / festivals.  Riverfront, Courthouse green and new amphitheater for concerts and events.  Sounds stadium on the north side for baseball.  

What are we missing?

I'd like a bigger art museum, the Frist is kinda small.  A Natural History museum with dinosaurs and stuff would be cool, like the Field Museum in Chicago.

• Like 3